on 16 July 2015
I can't stand gyms nor body building. This really has a perfect answer.
on 1 May 2012
As someone who is a regular gym goer I was looking for something new to try in the off season of my sport, Rugby. It can get really boring doing weights all the time, and having discovered bar brothers and barstarzz on youtube I was keen to try calisthenics. There's a good introduction, some great information on bodyweight exercises, why to do strength training (with an explanation of why High Intensity, HIT, training is so good), some practical nutrition info (nothing fancy, just common sense advice) and some common strength training myths followed by motivation. I'm halfway the 1st class (intermediate) program and have to say I'm loving it. The programs are well set out and easy to follow. Plus all the exercises have an illustration and explanation of how to do earlier in the book, which you can find using the exercise index. Also, having done weights on and off for about 3 years I never thought I could get so sore after just doing bodyweight exercises! I've lost a 1kg, and starting to look a bit fitter. I particularly like the appendix at the end. It has a "Science Behind The Program" which I would recommend everyone read if they buy the book, as someone who's studied a little sports science it made sense to me, and its always good to see that these fitness books are backed up by actual science. Overall, I'd highly recommend buying this book!
3 people found this helpful
on 20 February 2013
This is a great book, written by someone who has proven his fitness levels are elite. He is a record holder in the special forces and achieved his fitness levels without any standard cardio training. This is a book that everyone should have on their shelf or kindle as it takes away any excuses you have for not training. I did the routines in this book for a good five months or so and built a great level of fitness, but be warned you won't get large, lean show off muscles. You will look defined and be fit.If you are looking for a cover model body or a body like Brad Pitt in Fight Club I suggest getting The Physical Culture Training Manual on Kindle which I think is free on their library, if not it is only £1.65 to purchase. This gives a good weight training routine and goes into the mindset and nutrition needed for a good body. The two books together will help complete your library.

Great book, definitely a must have!

The Physical Culture Training Manual
2 people found this helpful
on 2 September 2016
Mark Knows the score!
on 24 December 2014
state described = state received! absolutly recommended
on 7 December 2015
Gives loads of exercises. would recommend.
on 2 December 2016
Ok, nothing you couldn't adapt yourself
on 19 December 2014
Great book most informative.
on 20 November 2010
I should have bought this book before I started spending money on gym memberships and equipment! And after some reading I realised that all I need is a piece of floor in my living room and some consistency!

I've been doing different exercises and workouts from this book for 6 weeks so far and I can really feel the positive change. There are huge number of exercises which do not require any equipment at all and in only few exercises you would need towel or chair. I have found range of balance exercises with very detailed descriptions and step by step methods to make them (One hand push-ups - hopefully in next 2 months ;). What is interesting is that Ive made significant pace improvement in my 1,5 km runs I think the reasons behind that are strength and balance oriented workout and diet change - all of this was based on that book.

Short conclusion is: Try the bodyweight exercises before you go for expensive (and useless in my opinion) gym membership. This book contains everything you need to improve your body. Great book for this money.
27 people found this helpful
on 20 May 2017
An excellent book with scores of body weight exercises. Who needs a gym? I suggest purchasing the app which gives you a graded exercise programme, after six weeks my body shape is changing already.