Platform: PC|Change

on 13 April 2011
Being a fan of games that usually are considered more realistic (Simbin's games and rFactor mods, for ex), I am having lots of fun with this game. Can't honestly understand the hate towards it and the blatantly unfair user reviews.
It's not only much better than the previous title, it's one of the best racing games to date, not to mention it's bloody fun to play.
Does it lack a "real" championship mode and more in-depth tunning options? Yes it does. Does the AI goes a little beserk on tight tracks (Miami for ex)?. Yep. Are the handling physics a tiny bit "tamed" even on elite mode? That's a yes too.
But none of those "yeses" outweights all the good things in the game, nor are they so present that justify for a negative review, or even the "arcade" tag. I'd call it the best "semi-sim" racing game ever.
I'm using a Logitech Driving Force GT, and had no big issues with the setup.
The FF programming feels great and realistic, so do the car physics in most situations, the graphics are awesome and extremely detailed and the cars sound great (try the Audi R8 for ex).

PS: Oh and...for online playing you should realy hook up with someone you know, or some more "mature" community, because the one on this game sucks...people ramming each other, hacked cars that do a lap in 2 seconds, that sort of stuff.
on 9 September 2011
I previously loved Shift 1 and played it to death and then when Shift 2 came out, I thought this is great, the same cars, tracks and things that I loved but more of them! Realistic helmet camera and night racing. I had high hopes.

The handling is absolutely terrible. I installed the patch which made it a lot easier to control but still bad in my opinion. I do play with a control pad and people will say I should use a wheel but not everyone has a wheel so this is my review for those who use a pad.

The graphics in this game are the first to make my PC sweat, my PC was uber powerful 2 years ago and nothing has stressed it at all until this game so beware if you have an old pc without a lot of horsepower.

My main gripe is with the AI, at any point in a race if you connect with another car even touching for half a second bumper to bumper, you get thrown to the side in a wild spin, most of the time losing the race. Its argued that this is a racing sim but it just seems so annoying when racing Zonda on a 6 lap race to be flung into barriers because the AI car braked early on the last lap and you tapped it enough to spin you out. I'm a veteran of racing games for 20 years and this game is a let down after I thoroughly enjoyed Shift 1.

So if you are here because you loved Shift 1 to death and think this is the same recipe as before, it's not. But on the plus side, the night mode and shaky turny head cam is sweet.
on 30 April 2011
on the first day i bought shift 2 i was disappointed, there was serious lack of control.
But it got patched and i tweaked the steerwheel settings of my G27 and it was fixed!
Now it is an serious good racing game/sim with alot of great cars and real tracks. Its better than shift 1 and on the same level of gran turismo 5. and its the best looking racer on pc by far, the graphics on pc are amazing.
I would say rent it or borrow it and you'll be impressed.
44 comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2015
I am loving this game. My PC and its mid range graphics card are about 5 yrs old - it is not what many would call a gaming machine but there is no input lag as described by some reviewers. I see no point in me regurgitating much of what is written elsewhere but here are just a few points.

The game starts with a couple of practice laps at the end of which you are given recommended settings and 'assists' for your ability. I found getting around those two laps using only keyboard was not a fun thing. I was correctly assessed as being 'novice' and every possible assist was recommended - all I had to do was steer and accelerate.
Playing with keyboard was obviously going to be impossible so I bought an xbox / PC wired controller. During my entire computing life (from 1984) all steering and any other directional control has been right-handed by keys or mouse and it took my brain about an hour to link my left thumb with steering and from then on everything has been wonderful.
I have driven fast cars and I have driven cars fast. I have raced and I have crashed. Contrary to some reviewers I say the physics and realism of sensation have been effectively presented for a game.
The helmet cam has been heavily criticised by some reviewers but I like it - you get a realistic view and it is pointless complaining about sim realism if you change the view to being on the front of the bonnet or outside and behind the car.
The AI is pretty good and can be aggressive with you getting taken out through no fault of your own but hey - I'm not averse to giving others a little nudge or helping them run out of track. This is like the real world don't expect a vintage car rally.
Sensation via the controller effectively matches the sound and visuals when on grass, gravel or changes in road surface on street circuits.
Scenery is adequate (we're not out there sightseeing), much has been put into the game for those who like to 'fiddle' - changing the appearance of their cars, upgrading, tuning, etc. This isn't something I want at this stage but I tried slight alterations in tyre pressures and the effect is noticeable and realistic.

I find handling much better than I expected from a game and there are some finer points that surprised me, eg. In a straight line at 200+ kph you get two wheels on the grass and you get pulled toward the armco, crashes can be spectacular.
The challenge is to progress through your 'career' but I have been having loads of fun in 'quick races' where you set the number of laps against up to 15 opponents in whatever (similar class or identical) cars.
It is entertaining to replay (and save) your exploits and even here attention to detail can be seen, eg. strobe effect of rotating wheels as though it is actual footage.

My brother also bought this game and it is interesting to note that his install took 30 minutes but mine took 80 minutes.
After 12 hours of play I am nearing my limit of left thumb steering where 1 mm of incorrect movement can put me in the armco so a home-made steering wheel is in design process.

After 'Crysis 2' I said I would never buy another EA game but at the current price of less than £8 this game shouldn't be missed. Buy it and enjoy it for what it is - challenging fun.
on 21 January 2015
This is a fantastic car racing simulation once you get into it. Plenty cars and circuits to choose from with the options of all kinds of upgrades and tuning options. Or if all that is too much to cope with and you want to just get on with it, then try the Caterham at somewhere with no chicanes or hairpins - Brno for instance. To get the maximum enjoyment consider buying a wheel. My brother and I, both pensioners, are totally addicted to it!
on 20 July 2012
At first I found Shift 2 absolutely rubbish. Little to no control, just no feel for the cars at all. I never installed a patch and maybe I should but my setup at the moment is fine.
First I changed the steering damper in the config file to off and then downloaded the handling minimod and now it is great. The cars handle much more realistically and now is a really fun game. Miles better than Shift 1.

Graphics amazing.
on 23 September 2012
Great screen play, graphics and handling played this for a month or so now cant get bored of it and would rate it as much as TOCA Touring cars and is probably more fun, all round superb track reproduction and car details are second to non definitely a must have game for driving fans.
on 6 June 2014
Need For Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed
Delivered on time as usual.
The game is good with near pro-sim-like physics and fantastic graphics for 2011. Although helmet cam is not to everyones liking, i find it to add more realizim . Yet, has A.I that, on contact throw you clear off the track whilst they stay firmly planted on it. Unfortunately, as you'd not expect from a racing game, there is problems with the servers. I've not been able to find a single game on Origin. After some research, I've found out its been the case since 2012 for most players (time of review 2014). I would have given the game five stars, however, with no ability to play online and only against bulletproof A.I, I'm giving it 2 stars. E.A and Origin, sort your game out. In its current state, its no more than an alpha demo!
on 9 December 2014
I simply don't like this game. There is just something wrong with the physics engine and the screen wobbles about un-nesisarily. Makes one feel sick. I turned off all the annoying effects, like the dreadful speed blurring of the landscape but it just doesn't cut it. In the end I found I was simply bored of the racing. Don't bother, I wish I hadn't
on 10 April 2014
What a great game i love it one of the best games ever raced on i just hope theres going to be a 3rd one as ive never liked the need for speed games but this is far better and the helmet camera is great and makes it feel great, the night racing is intense.

Only problum is i wish i played it when it came out as theres no online players at the moment.
Worth the money.
Installs though Origin and not steam for that version you need to buy it though steam.