on 13 June 2016
This is the complete text of the Dickens novel. The characters are well known and much loved. As in many of Dickens novels there is an episodic feel reflecting it's initial launch as a weekly supplement. It is also criticised for plot irregularities, anti Semitism and treatment of the female characters. Irrespective of these issues this is a well written tale, a moral tale, and a good read. Enjoy.
on 31 August 2016
Beware: This is an abridged version. They could've been a bit more clearer on discribtion of this (perhaps by mentioning it on the cover?). Haven't read it before and therefore only found out later. So this kinda spoiled a potentially great novel for me. Thanks Puffin!

Seriously, who tries to sell an abridged version to anyone who doesn't clearly wanna buy it?! Just sell the original!
on 12 January 2015
Five stars? Absolutely. However you don’t need to take my word for it, hundreds of others reviewers feel the same. Yes it can be a mammoth read and yes there are sections that ponder along and appear not wholly connected to the main events, but this is missing the point. Dickens’s David Copperfield is one of the greats of English literature. The BBC made a very worthy mini-series some years ago and it captured the essence, but the original work gives so much more.
The characters are such a reflection of our own times, Mr Peggotty, Ham, Clara Peggoty & aunt Betsey find their opposites in Dippy Dora (high maintenance), her father (the shrewd financial businessman who always defers to his partner) and the ‘murderous’ Mudstones’ who eventually get their comeuppance of sorts, as well as the despicable Uriah Heep. But for me the icing on the cake is Mr Micawber with his love of language and financial wisdom.
Income, nineteen shillings and sixpence. Expenditure, nineteen shillings. Result, happiness. Income, nineteen shillings and sixpence. Expenditure, twenty shillings. Result, misery.
Outstanding!
on 27 February 2017
This was a really powerful story, poor David had a really hard life for years, which only began to improve when he grew older, and then it was only through the hard lessons he had learned from hardship. He was a gentle, decent soul, who suffered much, from the re-marriage of his mother, the cruelty of his step-father, the later loss of his mother, and worse life to follow, one was frequently wishing to get into the book to help him! Life was painted dark, but that was Dickens' era, life was dark and hard. But David triumphed in the end, by being a good person.
on 19 December 2014
My most favourite book I ever read

The characters are amazing and so life-like. That boring, vapid and inconsequential Agnes does my head in though. I much prefer dear Dora and wish she was my friend. Miss Rosa Dartle is a work of genius.

My favourite parts of the book are when Davey sells his jacket to that strange (possibly mentally ill or disabled) man who keeps saying 'GUROO!' and the bit when Miss Betsey meets that complete a-hole Mr Murdstone and rips him to shreds, then threatens to stamp on Miss Murdstone's bonnet. I was cheering and then laughing.

I used whispersync for voice and listened to the Audio book at the same time as reading. It was such an immersive experience that I will do it with every book wherever possible. Martin Jarvis did an astounding job at the narration.
on 31 July 2015
Bought this because my old copy had disappeared after two house moves. It's one of my all-time favourite novels. Every time I read it I love it more, and get more out of the characters and their motivations and influences on the story. We did it recently in our Victorian literature book group and even a Victorian literature hater said she liked it. Many characters are larger than life, fantastical, ridiculous. But all with traits taken from people Dickens had met/known and life in general around him. Aren't we lucky to have all the wonderful old classics to re-read plus all the new stuff. What more can I say?
VINE VOICEon 4 November 2011
This is only the fifth Dickens novel I've read (the others were 'Great Expectations', 'Bleak House', 'Dombey and Son' and 'Our Mutual Friend') and the first one I can say I thoroughly enjoyed. As usually seems to be the case with Dickens, there is no main plot, simply an account of the central character's development. Copperfield narrates his own life story from childhood to middle age, beginning as a gullible, often bullied innocent, and ending up a shrewd adult who retains his virtues.

I feel that the novel's main strength is its characterisation; the slimy Uriah Heep and the financially-challenged Wilkins Micawber are particularly well-drawn. Dickens also signposts several of the subplot outcomes without being explicit, which piques the reader's interest.

In what is a long novel, there are just two quibbles for me. One is Copperfield's attraction to Dora, who comes across as little more than an ornament, a twittering bird whose caged existence is self-imposed. I'm not convinced that she would attract the active, intelligent Copperfield. The other is that the most climactic scenes occur quite some way before the end and are followed by some relatively flat passages. These are, however, very minor points.

Finally, I was pleased to find that the Kindle version is free of formatting or typographical problems.
on 7 August 2017
This is the third Dickins book I have read , and found Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations a better read.
Copperfield is a very long book, apparently Dickins favourite.
I found it too drawn out, even excusing the over elaborate dialogue that he is well known for. That said still an interesting story with some memorable characters.
on 13 May 2014
Loved this trip down memory lane to re read David Copperfield.
It is quite detailed and heavy reading in parts but I really enjoyed it especially as I could not remember how it ended.
It's a very long book but once I got stuck into it I liked learning about the Victorian poverty, foundlings, gruelling times. Made me feel very lucky to live in this era.
Doesn't beat Tale of Two Cities, my favourtie Dickens book, but well worth reading again. Off to London in few wks to visit the Foundlings museum, amoungst other places, will have the images in my head from the book.
on 6 April 2013
If you don't weep on reading David Copperfield it is said, you're some kind of monster. The characters are justly famous. The narrative technique, especially uses of memory, psychology, description and humour, are less frequently remarked on, but still excellent. To me the Micawber material grows a bit excessive and wearing towards the end, detracting from the otherwise high standard. But as an evocation of a young man transcending his tragic childhood circumstances and boyish follies, it remains unsurpassed and infinitely moving.