Customer reviews

on 21 January 2011
I was delighted to find a novel, by a previously unpublished author, set in Rhodesia and South Africa, where I grew up. Peter writes passionately and knowledgeably about the area and his turbulent love life. I wonder whether the rich and varied experiences he mentions in the book are as real as his experiences in Southern and Central Africa!

I think I detect a touch of fiction in some of the dating experiences and misadventures, but at the end of the day it all comes together to make a cracking read, a fast-paced story interwoven with some larger-than-life characters,crisply and evocatively written, I could almost smell the braai (barbecue for you Poms), the sweat of fear, the sex., and the dust of the Africa plains I know so well.

Between Rhodesia, Cape Town, Brighton and Lewes, all places I know well, I could feel myself being drawn into the story as it drew towards a sad but well-managed ending on Table Mountain, almost as if I knew the writer.

Basically one of the best novels I've read for a long time and I do hope he will write more. He has a unique style and manages the complex interwoven stories and the 'dramatis personae' exceptionally well.