on 26 May 2015
Despite very careful use the screen hinge broke after only a few days. I was refunded in full.
on 7 January 2017
ok
on 1 April 2015
usles and poor battely least for 9 to 11 months
on 9 February 2013
Bought this for a friend. For the price, it works very well. Best feature has to be how light it is and how good it looks.
One person found this helpful
on 17 August 2012
I bought this as a "try out" item and really liked it. It's fast, clear and easy to use. It was a good buy
2 people found this helpful
on 8 September 2011
The laptop is stylish in its general design. However, the case is just basic plastic without any gimmicks so it looks cheap. But looking cheap and stylish is always better than cheap and tacky! some further pros and cons:

+ Sufficient amount of memory for anything (even though not upgradeable)
+ Large hard-drive
+ Good screen. The colour rendering is a bit off, I think the whites are a bit washed out, but the colours are vibrant and the screen looks good and bright. (It's a glare screen). So maybe not for serious photo editing, but for usual stuff it's really, really good. Oh, and no issues with the screen shimmering from typing or bad joints - but maybe with rough use?.
+ Keyboard. Not perfect, but the right size. Takes every keypress but if the pressing angle is too much off the button doesn't go down correctly.
+ Power supply voltage input between 16-19volts. So you can maybe use those extra power supplies you have lying around.

+/- Processor speed. Quite frankly, feels slow for windows 7 use. However, if you choose your programs carefully, it's exactly as fast as it needs to be to be fully functioning. Also, for a netbook these things don't really get faster than this - or be prepared to pay at least double if not triple for a equally light laptop with a "proper" processor.

- Mouse. It's good, but it needs the ability disable the "tap-click" function. It drives me mad as it is.. This is a driver issue but there are no drivers(??). The supplied ones do not work and system control panel gives a generic hardware ID which is of no help.
- Fan. It's not quiet. It's not silent. Sometimes it's rather loud for a small energy efficient laptop, surprisingly so. But not an instant turn off.
- Can be a bit too slow due to the processor. But this depends on the OS and programs.
- Battery life. It's about 2-3 hours on windows 7. I haven't followed this too intensely as I mostly use it at home or for short stints. But still better than your average desktop replacement!

So it's only a so-so laptop which could be so much better... but seriously? For the price, I'm loving it!
2 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 6 June 2012
I really like this laptop. I will probably continue to use Ubuntu but I have Windows 7 on an old laptop which will install on this one. I have upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 which is the latest edition. It will work on any computer and is optimised for touchscreens, apparently. It's free, and needs no antivirus. I intended to wait for Windows 8 to be released and buy a new ultrabook but I'm glad that I bought this one. At this price I feel that I can buy another computer next year if the urge is great. I have used Ubuntu before but the latest edition is far better than Windows 7. Drivers for printers, etc. are already provided. I've got a new HP Wirless All-in-One printer which worked as soon as I connected it; even the wireless scanner worked with no problem.
The Meenee looks and feels great, and although some negative comments about the track pad are justified I have found it perfectly adequate. It is also much larger than I have been used to. The sensitive curser is getting better all the time and I think the track pad just needs cleaning. Another issue is the default password which is required to make administrative changes to the system. There is no mention of it as far as I can see; I knew it was "meenee" before I ordered it by reading someone else's review. I think the makers should include this information in the owner's manual in a prominent position.
Another issue I have is concerning the specifications. Amazon advertise it as having 3 USB ports but mine only has two. Not a big problem, but they are on opposite sides which makes connecting my extenal drive, with a USB power connector, more difficult. The hdmi and card reader will be handy, and bluetooth will make up for the lack of a third USB by allowing the use of a wireless mouse or connecting my phone, etc.
The keyboard is US with no pound sign but there is a way to type it by using a combination of keys. I haven't found out what they are yet but in office programs the sign can be found in menu bar under INSERT-CHARACTER so it's not such a problem. Many computers sold in UK and Europe have US keyboards.
I haven't used everything yet but I am very impressed with this this machine which resembles a Mackbook Pro, but obviously not quite as good in many respects.
on 12 March 2012
Having had 15" laptops in the past and more recently having had 10" netbooks, I was after something in-between on my next purchase and had always thought that 13" is just the perfect size.

You are not going to get more bang for your buck! Okay, it's an atom processor, but a good atom processor and 2 gigs of RAM makes it a super netbook or just sub of a notebook. This is perfect for any task other than gaming, especially if you love a sleek, thin and lightweight laptop you can carry about easily.

Also, you receive a very warming and personal service from this small company - they value quality customer service so you need not worry about buying from them - they will respond if you have any issues (not that you will!).

Lastly, I took the Ubuntu OS off this laptop and put Windows 7 on it which I can confirm runs absolutely fine, like Ubuntu. I have also just stuck the Windows 8 beta on it which also runs very well.

Bottom line - Great build quality and it comes cheap because of the free OS (which is a great idea). Can handle any other OS and looks cracking!!!
on 25 November 2012
Great idea - make a cheap lowspec slimline laptop and put linux ubuntu on it to save os license costs. The lap top initially looks great and has in-built camera BUT on closer inspection:

- the keyboard was warped a sign of very poor build quality with stuff under it pushing up and causing curvature
- no getting started docs.... i.e. you have to google and guess to find the initial password and then getting wifi and other items working takes a while and a fair bit of research and a lot of updates
- I did get everything going however but then I am much more technical than the average user but when everything was working the processor was struggling with even basic tasks such as running a youtube video in the browser, multitasking really poor
- sound awful
- trackpad is barely useable making a mouse an absolutely essential accessory
on 26 August 2012
I had asus eee pc before, so my comparison is according to that. I am also generally very proficient in working with computers in anyways: hardware and software.

Battery: Would not last more than 2 hours. Really disappointing. Anything out there is better.

Touchpad: There is a serious problem with the touch pad in this unit. You can also see it from the other reviews. Simply this is the worst part of the laptop. Be sure that you need an external mouse. Simply you can not click anywhere exactly.

Keyboard: Not bad but it is not comfortable either although it is on a 13" laptop. I was much more comfortable with the 10" eee keyboards.

General Build: Not very good. very easily tips if the monitor is tilted abit more than 90. The laptop is very filmsy too.

OS: the only good thing is that you don't pay for the Windows. The Windows drivers except the Bluetooth are available on a separate CD. However, if you want to work with windows, then buying a laptop with windows preinstalled is a more economical option.

Mic: Surprisingly enough it does not have mic jack, only speaker. You should use USB headset. They metioned that it is a universal jack but anyway, bad.

USB: only two USB ports.

VGA: no vga. only hdmi is available.

Bluetooth: Seems that bluetooth does not work either. I thought it might be a problem specific to my notebook but it also seems that other reviewers have mentioned that.

Performance: Good

Conclusion: Now I am using it with an external keyboard and mice. Touch pad is really terrible to the point that you can not work with it at all. Considering the screen size (13"), price, lack of VGA, mic and short battery life it is just not too bad. If you can afford, buy something else from a different brand or just go to 10" ones with acer/asus/... . Also there are other manchines at this price which does the job much better than this one.

If you have any questions I would be willing to help.

EDIT: Now after about 6 months it has started roaring. it is louder than a 4 year old 15" dell for my wife.
One person found this helpful