on 5 June 2008
One of those books you can't put down. Each chapter, of about 5-15 pages is a little story in itself - funny, sad, all moving in some way. I found myself trying to limit the amount I read I enjoyed it so much! A wonderful, simple, uncomplicated and fun book.
on 3 November 2008
A must have for anybody who has ambitions in the guiding industry or simply a love of wildlife. Full of campfire stories written so you never want to put the book down. This book makes you want to rush out and buy a plane ticket to Africa immediately.
on 5 December 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - the author has a good sense of humour and is not afraid to admit when he's done something different or just plain stupid. He seems to have a good feeling for Africa and its wild life.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 March 2011
Peter Allison was a 19 year old Australian backpacker when he ended up working in the bar at a safari park in South Africa. After a couple of years he progressed to safari guide and moved to a camp in Botswana. This is a collection of anecdotes over the stream of his career. The kind of stories he might tell sitting around the bush fire at night: The time I almost got eaten by a crocodile. Rude tourists that I have encountered. The time I outfoxed the monkeys who were keeping me awake. The time I stranded my tourist group in a hippo pool. The time we got lost in the Okovanga Delta. And so on. Many of the stories are extremely self-deprecating and I can't help suspect that there's been some embellishment along the way, but that only adds to the entertainment factor.

My initial impression when I started reading was that Allison was rather annoying, but he won me over by the sheer entertainment value of his stories. This is not the best book if you're wanting a serious read about animals and their behaviour, but it will definitely create the urge to head off on safari. A very engaging and amusing collection of stories. Recommended.

While there are some photographs included, I wish there were more - specifically it would be good to include a honey badger and a genet.

If this whets your appetite for similar reads, I recommend Backseat Safari, which is written by a nature photographer working in Southern Africa.
on 10 January 2010
Brilliant book, but please be aware that it is the same as the UK version 'Dont Run, whatever you do'.
Unfortunately, having bought both books for a present, I was unaware of this until I went on to Peter Allison's website. Amazon treats these books as different too.
on 7 August 2009
A humerous and delightful and insightful book on the Okavango Swamps.
Good to read if you intend visiting these swamps or need to know about Ranger / tourist life in the swamps. The author is Australian and how he has adjusted to Wild Life and African expierences. Mossies - mice - lions - elephants and drowning Land Rovers .. German tourists and bird watchers.. all make up the fun of the book
on 1 October 2009
I bought this just after a safari in Botswana. It is laid out as a series of short stories. Very amusing and informative and very true to life on safari in Botswana. Good for either preparation or reminiscing for a safari or just a good general read.
on 17 August 2015
This book is very entertaining and the author clearly has a great knowledge of Botswana and the animals he obviously admires. His anecdotes are funny, informative and written in an engaging and lively manner. His undoubted love of the wildlife was, however, spoilt for me by his absolute contempt for the 'tourists' he met in the camps where he worked. Having been on safari myself I am quite willing to believe that there are some irritating guests at the safari lodges, but Peter Allison has almost no good words to say for any of them. He portrays almost all of them as ignorant and uninterested in Africa and its wildlife, speaking disparagingly of having to 'encourage' and 'hassle' them into vehicles for early morning game drives and describing bored 'tourists' who don't appreciate the wonders he has found to show them. Most, according to Allison, are simply interested in seeing 'a kill' and the big five and have no interest in birdlife or other fascinating mammals that inhabit the Okavango delta. I personally find it impossible to believe that the majority of people who pay the kind of sum to go on safari to Botswana, without whom incidentally he would have no livelihood as a guide, are the stolid ignorant and irritating creatures he portrays them to be. I bought this book as my husband and I are about to visit Botswana. It has made me very apprehensive that our tour guides will treat us with a similar contempt, although having been on safari to Africa before we are hopeful that this will not be the case. Our Zambian guides were charm itself. This is an interesting read to get a flavour of the area, but I am surprised that very few other readers seem to have found this rather arrogant man as irritating as I did.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 September 2012
Bought this book when it was on offer and enjoyed it so much bought the next in the series at full price. A great mix of serious, funny and thought provoking. The chapters each tell their own short story and you can't help but read just one more!
on 9 September 2012
I finished it really quickly, and thoroughly enjoyed the bite-sized stories. Very well written and engaging, it gives you a good idea of what life must have been like and the stories really draw you in.

Can heartily recommend, and I'm off to buy the other books he's written :)