Customer reviews

Pictures At An Exhibition
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£14.35+ £1.26 shipping

on 18 June 2015
I remember hearing this back in the day when it was originally released as an LP. My mate was a big ELP fan and after hearing this I was 'in'. I won't go into detail about the original version on this Sony 2011 release as others have covered it, but I think it's worth mentioning the 'NEW' studio version on this CD release seems to have gone unnoticed by most reviewers. There is scant information in the CD liner notes other than to mention that it was recorded in 1993 - probably ELP's best kept secret - I have never previously heard of them recording a studio version of Pictures but it provides us with yet another take on this great piece of music as there are significant differences to the 'live' version and it's well worth getting it for that alone.
on 24 July 2015
I first bought this album shortly after release for the heady sum of £1.49. I still have the vinyl copy somewhere but as I hadn't heard it for many years, decided to get the CD version. I fully expected a remastered edition (which usually disappoint) but I am pleased to say, the power and brightness of the original is retained in this edition. Several reviewers have written more erudite and concise reviews about prog rock, the musicality and where ELP fit into the panoply of early 1970's music than I can manage. Suffice to say, his is a cracking album and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone wanting to see (some of) what prog rock was all about.

One thing though....the 'bonus' tracks. There's a reason they didn't make it onto the final cut. They belong in the bin, listen to them by all means but in my opinion, you'll be wasting your time.
I do own both, the CD and the DVD of this one-in-a-humankind-time event. Three of the best Rock musicians ever, with an event that sets the ground for the coming new generations of Progressive. The use of the instruments is so unique that you have to own both versions since they are not the same, but having each, their unique seal and mood! The Booklet and Portraits with new first-hand information and new graphic material. A little bit poorly edited, but still with charm. Included in this record, is a new version of some of the passages of the Work, that allows you to compare the evolution of sound and technique, having a new direction to look to, but not in genius, which in my humble opinion, is unsurpassed by the original's standards. I don't know if the new label that manages these historic recordings had to do something with the new processed sound or if the recordings came already mastered that way, but the sound is awsome! Clear and detailed. A treatment these three exceptional and admired musicians deserve given the input they gave to the world of Rock... or should I say Music?
on 3 March 2016
A must have album for any fan who loves E L & P
a must buy and play it loud music album that will be played and played again
Seen them live once just fantastic this album stands out for me in my collection
as a favourite but each to are own choice
so five Gold stars from me for this great album...
on 12 October 2012
I had this on vinyl in the 70's. From it's artistic cover to it's powerful music, it left an indelible impression on me. For over forty years, the dark poetry of Promenade, 'lead me from tortured dreams, childhood themes of night's alone...' (Greg Lake) has never really left my mind. The Gnome makes me feel intoxicated beyond belief and I experience a strong desire to rush off and join a rock band. The entire album is like this, moody, arresting, explosive yet moving. Progressive rock (although, I don't like labels; the 70's had such a variety of sounds, why try and box them into neat, tidy chunks of this or that music which might be off-putting to some; the best is just to dive in and listen to all of it and then decide) can be jarring at times but this combination of Mussorgsky's classical music and the ELP treatment is sublime. I now have it on CD and I go straight to that same altered dimension as all those years ago. This brilliant album is one of only a handful of live albums I have ever really loved. Rock on!
on 17 June 2014
i have three different versions of this album E.L.P. Tomita and an orchestral original all very different. This one by Emerson,Lake & Palmer shows how you can adapt a piece of classical music and make it acceptable to people who would not otherwise have listened to it. Very good album
on 5 February 2017
A classic ELP recording !
on 21 October 2015
Bought to replace worn out vinyl; seminal
on 7 April 2013
I first heard this album at a concert by Emerson lake and Palmer many years ago in Dundee Caird Hall
and thought they were very good so i am enjoying listening on cd now
A true progressive rock classic which sounds as good now as it did when I first heard it all those years ago.