VINE VOICEon 11 December 2016
I had the original vinyl many years ago, the cd, then the gold disc. I thought as this new version was touted as being expertly remastered, that it would sound much better. As someone has commented already, however, In was in for a shock. The first cd starts with a channel full of hiss and noise almost as loud as the following music. I hadn't noticed this previously. I went back to my gold disc and listened on headphones. The hiss is much, much reduced, only really entering when the track bursts into life after the intro. I can only presume that the start of the track was very quiet and the hiss also, but when remastered, everything was turned up, including the hiss. I think I can also hear some deterioration of the master tape. So cd1 is a no no. Cd 2 is the remixed version which although better, is not the version that I know and love. On to cd3. I have a great cd player, but not a dvd audio player, only a PS3. Cds through the PS3 sound vile, but using the optical out from the PS3 to my DAC let me hear the high res 48K version of the album. No hiss at all, crystal clear. If they can do that for the high res version, how come the original is so rough? I can't be bothered hooking up the PS3 , so I guess I will have to resort to my old gold cd of this album, what a bummer
I was very disappointed with the last ELP remix effort, Brain Salad Surgery after Steven Wilson passed on future projects. This new remix is the 2nd effort created by Jakko. I will say it is better than his effort on Brain Salad Surgery but the remix is quite different from the sound and feel of the original mix. The vocals are more dry and the guitar is lower in the mix.
The lack of bonus tracks is a bit of a letdown considering it is a 3 disc set. There is only 1 song that is unreleased and that 1 song is hardly different than the released version sadly.
The booklet is a good read but is full of typo errors. Well after all this wait we do get a half decent remix of a classic album.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 March 2015
Another supremely executed LP from this talented trio, 'Trilogy' (1972), includes several high quality ELP tracks - the opener 'The Endless Enigma' (essentially a 3-part suite by Emerson & Lake) is beautifully crafted whilst 'From The Beginning' is another wonderful example of Greg Lake's talents for penning lovely ballads. The powerful Aaron Copland piece 'Hoedown' and the album's title track, the 8 minute 'Trilogy', both allow Keith Emerson to attack his array of keyboard instruments with his usual gusto whilst Carl Palmer's thunderous drumming is much in evidence throughout. This is well worth buying if you like full-blooded progressive rock interspersed with lovely bursts of subtlety. Highly recommended.
on 27 April 2015
Was it worth it? Oh yeah! This is one of my all time favourite albums and I'm glad to say that they've more than done it justice.

The stereo remix is very good - the 5.1 mix not so good but still very impressive when you consider the source and the age of the original. I think we're getting a bit spoiled now with albums like Wilson's Hand Cannot Erase and Rob Reed's Sanctuary being produced specifically for 5.1 and it's becoming too easy to judge the remixes on albums like Trilogy harshly in comparison. As one of the other reviews said, it's obviously there just not a lot of it.

Anyone else notice the misprint on the tracklist?

This is well worth the price. I'm just wondering what's next? Welcome Back would be nice but a remix of Pictures I'd just about give my right arm for.
on 18 June 2015
The original album, accompanied by a new mix that brings out some subtleties that weren't apparent back then. There's also an additional version of 'From the Beginning' with a different solo at the end which is very good. I'd forgotten how beautiful that song is. It you like Trilogy, I would say there is definitely enough here to make it worth repurchasing, beyond the pure improvement in sound quality. The title track moves from a haunting tune with poignant lyrics to driving ELP instrumentals with amazing energy. The standard of composition is amazing; I'm still discovering new things in this album after all this time, and the new mixes really help. Even the original inner album cover (multiple Emersons, Lakes and Palmers in a forest) is included, and gave me a flashback to when I first saw it.
on 4 January 2014
Around this time, Keith Emerson's Moog and other keyboard-activated gear, Greg Lake's amplification and Persian Carpet and Carl Palmer's personally made 1/2" thick steel drum kit needed three 18-wheel trucks to transport it from stadium to stadium (with the drivers trying to keep the trucks in the correct order of the names painted on the sides). Unsurprisingly there is an element of brute force in the performances of the discs cut by the band including this one. I have never played a fully-functional original Moog with its wall-sized patch-board that you need a step-ladder to program effectively. Neither have I played a two-ton steel drum kit nor a tw0-neck guitar on a priceless Persian carpet. So I don't know exactly what it was like but I can get an idea from the miniature monophonic MiniMoof of the exhilaration that fuelled these 'crossover' artistes to imagine what someone like Beethoven, Mussorgsky and other classical composers would have done if let loose on such kit.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 June 2011
It's wonderful to see this album on CD. I owned it on vinyl back in the 70's but haven't heard it for God knows how long, so it was like greeting a long-lost friend when I bought this. "Trilogy" is without doubt ELP's most accessible album, released when they were riding a massive wave of popularity (topping the UK'S NME and Melody Maker readers polls in just about every section). ELP were not to everyone's taste however - the late John Peel once famously called them "a waste of eletricity, and talent too".
Trilogy was their fourth and most commercially sucessful album, doing especially well in the USA. I would describe it as a prog. rock album that appeals even to people who don't really like prog. rock (e.g. me).
Keith Emerson's moog playing is more inspired than ever, especially on "Abbadon's Bolero" and on an excellent version of the excellent Aaron Copland's excellent "Hoedown" from the excellent "Rodeo" (pretty excellent I think). Lake's largely acoustic "From The Beginning" has a laid back west-coast feel complete with quiet, bubbling synth playing and some lovely Joe Lala style hand percussion from Palmer. A great sounding track, very different from the usual ELP fare, and I for one would have liked to have seen the band produce more material like this. The title track gives the trio space to show how well they work individually and collectively.
All in all this is a great 1970's album which, unlike many of its contemporaries, has not really dated at all.
on 17 October 2015
A "Too Good To Miss" at the bargain basement price Amazon had this on offer for.
EL&P (In my opinion) only made five really classic albums and these were the first five, starting with,
Emerson Lake & Palmer and finally 'Brain Salad Surgery".
Trilogy, is one of their best, which 43 years on from it's first release, still gets played.
The remastering is pretty good as well, though the DVD-Audio does not play that well, through my basic,
early 1990s Yamaha Dolby video audio processor, I really need to upgrade to a 5.1
on 15 June 2016
This brilliant album has all the good things about prog rock (a mix of jazz, classical and rock; virtuoso playing; ambitiousness) but without the traps that make some prog utter rubbish (e.g. pretentiousness, indulgent lyrics, overly long solos, flabby structures etc.). The level of musicianship is superb. And I was particularly struck by how much gravitas and maturity there is in Greg Lake's voice given that he was little more than a bairn when he recorded this.
on 20 July 2015
This is one of the best records this fantático trio. This triple issue only came to reward the fans and those who enjoy a good progressive rock within the meaning of the word. All tracks are beautiful and it is a record that has been little explored by the band unless "From The Beginning". This work shows the sharp vocals Greg Lake with a good guitar tone, Emerson's fantastic keyboard and Palmer quality battery. A quality disc of the band that is certainly in the top three of the band. Excellent! Note 9.0.