on 9 July 2012
I had an earlier version of this printer for several years and it served me well. The older version just wouldn't work as a shared printer between my host PC running windows xp and a windows 64 bit laptop. Not a fault of the printer, more due to windows 7 and XP not wanting to talk together over workgroups. Given the very reasonable cost of this printer, I decided to go for a more modern version that would run as a 'properly' networked printer rather than waste any more time on a losing battle. The new printer works fine over the network. Much better to be wired into the network than have it wireless. Quality & speed is great. I expect running costs to be equally good as with the older printer (which I've given away).
The sheet feeder works very well and makes scanning & copying much more straightforard. Good that you can scan direct to email on the PC of your choice (up to 5 without buying extra licences but that's fine for home). I don't really need the fax at all, that's just superfluous - who sends faxes these days anyway.
The only minus, and a word of caution for those considering commercial use is the output 'slot' will have a tendency to get jammed if you send more than about 10 sheets at once, that's despite it saying it handles 100 sheets.
on 18 August 2011
The printer is a very good buy, I've bought 3 of them for work. Economical, and with everything needed for a busy office that still relies heavily on fax communication.

The only fault I have is the non standard way that Brothers install themselves on a network. They work outside the Windows norm and can be difficult to find when setting up more than one on a network.

Overall a very good multi-function device.
on 5 May 2013
So good I got another.

- Copy works great both manual and ADF.
- Fax never tried so cannot comment on it - annoying that it defaults to Fax each time
- Prints well and fast
- Scans really good quality, and OCR was impressive... only one 1/l mistake on the whole page I tried.

I had it networked configuration, when you have installed the drivers you can scan to a specific computer from the printer, and choose image and OCR options. From the computer you can print and fax.

It has 3 modes... working, quite noisy, stand by/sleep, some noise, and deep sleep, where its silent.

**ADDED** I have noticed on one of the printers, to the side of the buttons on the front face... some faint cracking to the plastic. The printer has only had its toner changed once and the draw isn't open much to cause it... potentially a heat/wear&tear issue?
on 20 July 2012
This printer installed well on my network, though it's important to reserve an IP address on your router, or the printer could end up at a different address when the router restarts.

The scanning capability is excellent, and PaperPort has been significantly improved since my previous Brother MFC (an ink-jet whose auto-cleaning gave it a voracious appetite for ink).

My only serious criticism is the toner cartridge. Not only is it supplied nearly empty, but it also lacks a vital mechanical component. This means that if you refill it, the printer still treats it as empty until you put a proper cartridge into it. I was expecting a half-full cartridge to be supplied, but not one deliberately disabled.
on 12 May 2012
Printer was delivered at the second day after purchase. It works perfectly in all its multifunction actions. But!!! It is extremely noisy not only when it works but also when it is just switched on. If I am aware this before, I would never by this machine...
on 13 April 2013
After discovering some of the shortcomings of inkjet printers and wishing for something a little more comprehensive and fuss-free, I bought this.
Now I can scan all my receipts and save them. I can quickly and cheaply print-off a multi-page document.

All these are functions I can access from my computer.
This machine can perform many more functions from it's own control buttons. I haven't even started-on those buttons yet. I'm well-satisfied at present. Maybe I'll never, ever use the machine as a stand-alone device. The option is there, though.
on 7 June 2012
I bought this for my workplace to replace the previous Brother MFC which lasted about 5 years with daily use.
This ones done over six months and a few toners already and appears as good as the last.
Great machine - recommended!
on 2 April 2013
For the past 9 years I have owned a Brother DCP8040 and loved it - economical and trouble free. This purchase was the replacement when it finally gave up on me. It's good - certainly, it has more bells and whistles than the old one in terms of scan and fax settings and installation was easy. It was also very good value - at £150 (with postage) this was £45 cheaper than the price I saw at Staples the following week. Downsides are the fact the build quality is not as sturdy as the previous model (I doubt this will last for the next 9 years) and that the toner replacement cartridges are more expensive. Overall though, I am pleased with the purchase.
on 22 September 2013
Bought this printer to replaced my previous ink jet printer because with ink jets if you do not use it for awhile (like 2-3 months) the ink usually dries up and you'll end performing maintenance through settings which waste ink and sometimes you'll have to get rid of the ink cartridge altogether. but with laser printers this is not the case because it dry to begin with and just a little shake of the toner would resolve the issue.
Although I know I could perform all the function of this printer via USB and LAN I wasn't sure it would be accessible over my router's wireless network which work amazingly, the setup was easy to follow, easy to identify and connect to over the network and when not in use the printer goes into a deep sleep mode saving energy.
on 2 February 2014
This is used in a small GP practice. The flat bed and document feeder style copier is very good. It will network easily via ether net.

The plastic is very cheap feeling ut has not broken yet.

An extending support tray for recieved faxes would have been useful as recieved faxes do not protrude much and so can be missed by a recipient.

Actually very good value for money.

Buy additional toners straight off as the supplied one was filled using an ants' thimble.