Customer reviews

It's Kind of a Funny Story [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 10 March 2017
I enjoyed this film, but my partner didn’t feel able to stay with it long enough to properly appreciate it in my opinion (hence 4 stars, rather than 5).
But, whether you like it or not, you have to admit that the story line is different from most.

Craig (very well played by Keir Gilchrist), is a 16-year old college student who has recurring nightmares about committing suicide, and feels that the stresses on him are so great that actual suicide is highly likely.

For the sake of his mother, father and young sister, he checks himself into a psychiatric hospital, but finds that teens are mixed with adults on the ward, and quickly feels that he doesn’t fit the more extreme psychological behaviours exhibited by most of the other patients.

Too late though. He cannot be released for a week, and during that time, he learns a thing or two.
In particular, “If you’re not busy being born, you’re busy dying”.

I have to give special praise to the performances of Zach Galifianakis who plays Bobby (an adult patient), and Emma Roberts who plays Noelle (a self-harming teenager).
And the disco/dance performances from the group of patients are uplifting to say the least. The Performance to Queen’s ‘Under Pressure’ is both appropriate and well worth watching.
on 22 March 2017
Very amusing, well made, sound performances, with some nice music. If you are bi-polar watch it on one of your good days and don't get too serious about the issues covered.
on 3 March 2017
I found this film by chance. As I have experienced severe depression I wanted to watch it. I have to say it was better than I expected. Sad, sweet, moving and sometimes very funny. Not everyone gets a real life happy ending but it puts your problems into perspective. There's always someone worse off than yourself. Grab the good times with both hands, "Life is to be enjoyed not endured..."
on 5 March 2017
I never read the book but the film it's really good. I can't judge but I think that could help people in getting over the situation. Sometimes we though we are the only one in a particular situation. I'ts not!!! Just take a breath touch the ground and push you up again. Life it's like wave, you go up and down but you always grow up again. So never gave up!!!
on 7 November 2016
Normally I don't write reviews for films, but I had to make an exception for this film. It's a really sweet, heart warming film. If ever you've been stuck in a hard place, this film hits on some of those notes but suggests solutions for making things better.
The key point it really emphasises is that just one individual can make the world of a difference.
Give the film a try :)!
Something everyone should watch. A great film with a good balance of happy and sad. Helps understanding of dealing with mental illness. Really enjoyable.
on 18 August 2017
Excellent drama written and acted with compassion
on 25 July 2017
I really laughed it was very funny
on 13 January 2016
I LOVED this movie! Real, raw, deep, inspirational... Makes me reanalyse what intellect really is and how various illusions that we cling to ourselves build walls called depression or just sadness... Many thanks.
on 28 May 2017