Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit

on 17 February 2011
Having picked this up for a low price and used it a few times I feel a need to comment on it.

Firstly this is my first usage of a sat nav. The package has the basics which is good, but it would have been good if a mains charger was included. There is only a quick start guide in the package, though the website does have a proper instruction manual.

Secondly, the actual holder sticks to the windscreen. I'm sure frequent users of sat navs are familiar with that. My own experience suggests that it holds fairly well, but it has managed to fall off during a journey a couple of times when it seems to have been securely attached.

Thirdly, perhaps it's just my particular one but I found the touch screen was perhaps set a bit too low; so when I have to touch options or whatever at the bottom of the screen I sometimes get the above option registering.

Fourthly, like the above problem with the registering the right option when you do choose the right option you can see the on-screen button being pressed but the choice does not register. Often it requires a couple of presses to get the option you want.

Fifthly, though I assume not limited to this model but sat navs in general, it doesn't necessarily find you the most efficient route for the journey even after playing about with options.

As a first experience it is fine. Not brilliant as there are quite a few niggles but are manageable. I haven't tried the map updates yet so I cannot comment on a service I have not used.
on 5 May 2014
Very disappointed with the product. The satellite uptake is incredibly slow, resulting in a waiting time of almost 5 minutes before the device is of use. The window attachment doesn't work due to a faulty suction piece so the device must rest in the console.
on 26 February 2013
I have had a Navigon 40 Premium with TMC for about 18 months and have used it extensively on trips both long and short, in the UK, Ireland, France, Italy, Ukraine, and Bulgaria. In short, I have extensive experience with this little device. It has been upgraded to the latest 'Navigon Flow' software (at a cost of £79) because it did nothing but crash with the original firmware- though note, the online sale makes no mention of it only being a software upgrade and professes it was a hardware upgrade swap out which never came. This confusion is caused by a translation to English by someone who is clearly not a native speaker - or maybe just a liar.
The real story is Navigon customer support and their website are deliberative misleading fallacious when describing their products as services. Take something as simple as safety cameras where a year of updates is actually a database from 1998 that has never been updated since.
As a German company, they seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to treat UK customers very badly, ignore distance selling laws, pass you from one moron to another on the telephone until you give up, and believe it's right to sell faulty goods without offering restitution.
Thank goodness for Amazon's excellent returns policy - it does not help me, but all those who have a Navigon on the way from Amazon should consider their no nonsense return policy and send these hideous devices back.
If you want to increase your stress, go with Navigon.
The odd thing is Navigon is owned by Garmin. I have never owned a Garmin SatNav, but I do own a Forerunner 410. That device and customer service has been superb. Maybe Navigon will change, but it won't happen fast enough for me. Today, I ordered a different brand of SatNav. A brand I had before and with which I was very pleased until it broke down. Fingers crossed my new SatNav is as good as the old one.
on 30 August 2013
Even after two years from its release still remains one of the best out there. Excellent quality, good instructions and lots of add-ons.
Maps have minor mistakes but they keep updating every 3-4 months.
on 1 January 2011
I got this for christmas and its loaded with Q3/2010 map software, Navigon has a latest map guarantee.with its Fresh software so when i update i should get the latest map software Q4/2010 !. WRONG, While driving to Dublin IRL. The M9 motorway was completely missing tell me to turn around and turn left at invisible junctions. Talk about getting lost. And no reply to any of e-mails at customer support. What ever you do don't buy one of these and i can't even give it back as its a present or should i say drawer filler