Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 September 2006
I bought this album whilst trying to find some music to cheer me up, boy did it work! I've been in love with AIC since seeing them on Headbangers Ball in my early teens and just cannot get enough of their music. This is the ultimate album for all fans and non-fans alike, from their famous tunes to the more rare, it's excellent. It really makes you realise how talented a songwriter Jerry Cantrell is, his voice is remarkable and the tie that he had with Layne Staley is something you don't hear every day with two singers. What more can I say buy this album!
on 27 February 2014
One reviewer got it spot on about greatest hits and the whole no point of them. Though giving this release 1 star seems harsh. In contrast this album (a cash in) has some wonderful songs on it. But you would do better to get the bands individual releases. There are some huge songs missing here. Down in a Hole is one.

It's nice to see a pic of Mike Starr on the back cover though- but odd choice for the front cover, AIC backstage at MTV Unplugged 96, I don't get that reference.

This is great if you know somebody that doesn't love the band but just wants to spin a few tunes, for die hards, take a rain check.
on 11 October 2015
The inexcusable and glaring omission of 'Down in a Hole' is a fatal flaw on this compilation.
on 1 December 2015
All of the best Alice In Chains here for sure makes a good double disc song list.
VINE VOICEon 14 September 2006
Arrggghhh I hate compilations/greatest hits or anything of that nature. The Question is do you call yourself music fans or not. In the early 90s when I was first getting into music I purchased a Led Zeppelin compilation album (the one with the crop circle on the cover) and hated it so much I took it back to the store I bought it from, much to the surprise of the staff working there. I felt like I had done something wrong or perhaps missed something on the album. It bugged me for a while and eventually I went back and purchased Led Zeppelin's first five albums and was completely blown away. Well what was different? Simple, each album exists as a single entity with it's own feel and atmosphere and to take tracks from different albums and put them next to each other disrupts the harmony of the album. From that day on I vowed never to by another greatest hits album ever again. So what about this compilation then?

First of all ask yourself why you have to buy this compilation when you can buy the proper albums for the pretty much the same price. Alice In Chains only made three full-length studio albums (Facelift; Dirt; Alice In Chains) and two mini-albums (Sap, Jar Of Flies). Live albums don't count because live albums almost always suck.

Second is the problem of the tracks they leave off the album. Personally, I would like `Bleed The Freak' `It Ain't Like That' and `I Can't Remember' from Facelift, but even bigger omissions are from Dirt. Where the hell is `Down In A Hole'? Where are `Sickman' and `Junkhead'? For me the one song that is the perfectly illustrates what Alice In Chains was all about is `Sickman'...Not Here. I can't believe it but I can tell you why. It's simple, in order to give an overall retrospective of Alice In Chain's career, they feel it's necessary to include songs from each album even if it means leaving off better songs from one particular album (i.e. Dirt).... What stupidity! That makes it then not so ESSENTIAL.

Thirdly I can't stand the running order. Tracks 1-8 are pretty much in the order they appeared on the albums (except I Am Inside) then all the songs from `Dirt' are all jumble up. I can't imagine listening to `Them Bones' after `Rain When I Die'. And why is `Would?' right at the end of disc 2. Oh I give up!

I tell you what they should do is, either, box up all five original albums with original artwork on five discs in proper running order and flog it at a budget price, or they could just take `Dirt' slap a greatest hits/essential sticker on it and sell it like that. That would be ESSENTIAL. This compilation is not. Be a real true Alice In Chains fan and buy all the albums you won't regret it at all, I promise.