Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Depeche Mode Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: DVD|Change

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BUT I'VE KEPT THINGS VAGUE

The film is very tense in places, with no dumb action sequences, two-dimensional characters or ridiculous plot twists. It's very believable with its simple set-up of humans stuck up tree with croc hiding in water below them - very scary in places, even if I'm not sure I believe the true story tag. The problems start with the lulls between the action and immediate peril. These lulls should be adding tension, cranking up the atmosphere, but they don't, they go on too long and almost give you the urge to yawn. Big mistake - poor editing! The character reactions are also way too inadequate for the horror of seeing someone being eaten before you or losing someone close to you. Rather than blaming the actors, I blame the writer/directors for not pushing their performers hard enough or for not understanding human nature. Still, even with the limitations of the two directors and the unrealistic actions of the croc (moving too slowly sometimes, almost giving its prey a head start!), the second half seemed to whizz by (the film-makers were doing something right then) and I still ended up enjoying it, if not as much as I'd hoped.

If I'm going to compare it to Rogue (the other Aussie croc horror film), I'd say Rogue has more action and has better pace, but Black Water has the more grounded characters and is more believable. Trouble is, I don't think either is an example of great horror and you should go into this one with very low expectations, as that will hopefully make the experience more rewarding. 6/10
on 2 April 2015
Hm, after the great shark film reef l bought this hoping for much the same but in Croc mode, wow scary loads of tension, good acting, based on true events, good settings, big nasty salty, good Croc attacks and effects, they needed a bigger boat, makes me seriously rethink a aussie holiday, sharks , crocodiles, and of course, the psycho, wolf Creek killer, give me a break.great films, thumbs up black water.
on 21 May 2015
I can understand all the people who hated "Black Water", I really do - after all, it's way more depressing than your usual "animal attack" fare and it lacks the tongue-in-cheek approach that so many horror fans adore. However, if you crave for a brutal and painfully realistic crocodile horror flick - this one's just for you. Watch and tremble!
on 26 November 2012
The is not a bad low budget film shot on location so there is more than a bit of realism to it. For me the intruiging thing about films where people are trapped in a very difficult situation is do they get into the situation without acting like complete fools and are they smart enough to get safely out (or not!)? The good thing about this movie is that the characters are not stupid and there dire circumstances are believable. In othre words the plot does not have gaping holes and there is logic to the screenplay.All in all this is not a bad way to spend 90 minutes. Good fun movie! (Only 3 stars because I'm PICKY!)
on 8 January 2014
Very well writen and produced peice of film but also it's teary one, set in the outbacks of "Down Under" 2 sisters fight for survival againest an huge crocodile... The odds are stacked againest them... Try and swim... Be eaten alive? Or climb an tree and die of starvation? Either way they will have to survive this as best way as they can.
on 25 April 2014
read title then rinse and repeat, add a pinch of whiny Aussie accent and that's the film. i loved the reef horror and thought it would match, but with the dumb girl angle pushed so hard it ruined the great croc scenes, frights, etc...
Black Water is one extremely intense human survival movie. I don't know how anyone could sit through this and not have to consciously unclench most of his/her muscles before he/she can walk away after it's over. I can see where comparisons with Jaws, Open Water, or Rogue would ultimately come up in the discussion of this film, but I absolutely did not expect to see some viewers rating it so poorly. I don't think the Jaws comparisons carry much weight, and -as far as the other film comparisons go - who cares? Even if you've never seen a movie before in your life, you pretty much know how the film is going to play out by the twenty-five minute mark - and that doesn't make the film any less thrilling or suspenseful. The only question that really matters here is who, if any, of the characters are going to survive. The plot is one of brutal simplicity - and I mean that as a compliment.

Here's the situation. You're enjoying a fishing adventure with two family members in a mangrove swamp in Northern Australia when your boat is capsized by a salt-water crocodile. Two of you manage to scurry up a nearby tree, while the most vulnerable member of your party clings to the top of the overturned boat. Forget about your tour guide because he doesn't survive the initial attack. The odds are that no one is going to be looking for you any time soon, and there are hundreds of little tributaries to search if someone does come. Your best bet is the boat, but - assuming you can first rescue the third member of your party, there's no way to get to the boat without venturing dozens of terrifying meters into the water. That water, by the way, isn't black but it is definitely dark (I imagine they would have called this movie Dark Water if that title hadn't already been taken so recently) - unless the crocodile shows himself, there's almost no way you're going to know he's coming until he's torn into you with his massive jaws. What do you do?

I love and respect crocodiles. They are second only to sharks in the list of nature's most brilliantly designed killing machines. As unfortunate as the characters' situation is, I can't hate or condemn this salty for doing what he was born to do. That being said, this particular croc is a mean one; I don't want to give anything away, so just take my word on this. The big guy's in total control of the situation, and he knows it - and he has all the time in the world to wait for his victims to make a deadly mistake. You're not looking at some kind of CGI creation or mechanical beast here, either; Black Water serves us the real deal. Some people, of course, complain that the crocodile does not get enough screen time, but any fan of classic horror can tell you that less is more in situations like this. Maybe the ending doesn't ring quite true, but overall I found this film disquietingly realistic.

Perhaps the most horrifying thing of all about this film is the fact that it was inspired in part by actual events. Salt water crocs kill several people a year in Northern Australia, but most of those deaths involve humans doing something they shouldn't be doing. Here, as in the case that inspired the movie, you simply have a case of three individuals being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I realize I haven't mentioned any of the characters in this film. We may not get to know them like old friends, but I thought there was definitely adequate characterization in play here - and I thought Diana Glenn, Maeve Dermody, and Andy Rodoreda turned in inspired performances. In fact, I'm going to throw out kudos all around, especially to co-writers and co-directors David Nerlich and Andrew Traucki. I understand that this film had a low budget (as little as one million dollars), but I would never have guessed that for myself. Black Water is an immensely excellent film.
on 8 January 2010
First off, let's get the similarity between this film and "Rogue" out of the way. Yes, they are both about tourists being trapped by predators in northern territory. But that rather large similarity ends there.
Where "Rogue" was a rather large budget, cgi based, etc etc, this is not, and better for it. Purer and simpler.
"Rogue" got silly at the end, this is more what would happen in real life, and more delightfully dreadful for it.
Everybody knows the basic outline, tourists trapped by a killer predator, seemingly watching their every move.
The reasons I prefer this apart from the silly storyline, is that this was really low budget, and they used real croc footage montaged with the actors, to great effect, there were no special effects per se, just an awful dilemma; How the Hell are we going to get out of this???
I chewed off nearly all my fingernails during this. Great Stuff!
on 4 January 2012
Like my crocodile and creature features... this one definately does reflect a more realsitic view of what would likely happen in such a situation, where you end up stranded, while a croc awaits your every near move into the water... good back story and characters put across their feelings well and not too over the top either... better than lake placid!
on 1 January 2012
I loved this film and so did my wife. I bought her this film along with "the reef" (another good film) and we watched them on successive evenings. The film draws you in as did the makers previous film "Frozen". I would highly reccomend.