on 2 June 2017
Chaplin was a genius and this film is arguably his finest. The nose powder scene is hysterical.
on 13 November 2006
As a child growing up I had always dismissed Chaplin as being a division below other Black and White legends such as 'Laurel and Hardy' or 'Buster Keaton'. Somehow Chaplin never quite caught my imagination until one Saturday evening the BBC showed 'Modern Times' and I had the cobwebs of ignorance blown away in one fell swoop. I went on to watch the rest of the BBC's screenings over the following weeks and came to realise what a true genius Charlie was. Modern Times is visually brilliant, from the opening hilarity of the automatic food dispensing machine going wrong to other highlights such as his wrongful arrest and imprisonment (and accidentally taking cocaine) plus attempting to take a dip outside his little dream house, the comic timing is perfection. Over the years I've shown this film to a number of friends and I've yet to hear a negative remark. This is a masterclass in visual comedy, you will not be disappointed.
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 27 February 2014
Charlie Chaplin’s silent masterpiece “Modern Times” is available as a stand-alone on BLU RAY in the UK and as part of a tasty Box Set. And then there’s the much sought-after Criterion release in America. But therein lies a problem for UK and European buyers…

That US issue (no matter how desirable) is REGION-A LOCKED - so it WILL NOT PLAY on most UK Blu Ray players unless they're chipped to play 'all' regions (which the vast majority aren't). Don’t confuse BLU RAY players that have multi-region capability on the 'DVD' front – that won’t help.

The UK releases use the same restored elements – so best plum for them…
on 24 October 2008
It's normal when reviewing Charlie Chaplin's films to apply the epithet `timeless.' `Modern Times' is a great example of this - though accused of luddism at the time for making a silent film in the infant age of talkies, Chaplin's masterful look at Fordism might take its context from the great depression, but has a universality in it's themes that transcends its setting. As such, it's a film that's easy to recommend to the modern viewer. Chaplin skewers mechanised industrialisation, shows the kind of empathy with the labour movement you would expect from the founder of United Artists, and highlights the brutality of the state when dealing with the poor and desperate. The physical comedy is performed with tremendous athleticism and skill, and is frequently undercut with a note of satire - for instance, the Little Tramp unable to prevent himself from continuing to perform the bolt-tightening movement he has been required to repeat ad infinitum whilst working on the production line. The set design of the factory, with it's vast, cog-driven machines that produce nothing, is striking. There is also a note of bitter satire directed towards the perceived requirement for dialogue in film - the film climaxes with Chaplin's long-awaited first vocal performance in a film. He sings nonsense and mimes the song's story. Chaplin is ably supported by Paulette Godard, who offers a feisty romantic interest for the Little Tramp. The film is a triumph, as relevant to our modern times as it was to Chaplin's, a genuinely funny work of slapstick with a bitter seam of black comedy running through it.

This two disc set presents the film on disc one, with the extras on disc two. The film is in it's original 4:3 aspect, and the picture is superb - so clear and clean it's hard to believe the footage is over 70 years old. As with the other Chaplin collection releases, there is no commentary on the film - a shame, as I would have welcomed a commentary by a film historian or Chaplin biographer. The extras on disc two are an intriguing mixed bag. The introduction to the extras by Chaplin biographer David Robinson is welcome, but far too brief. A documentary in which directors Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne discuss the film contains some interesting and thought-provoking perspectives. The deleted scene, in which The Little Tramp attempts to cross the road and discovers he is a lower priority than the model T's zooming past him, is very funny. There are also a handful of historical curios that, whilst not especially exciting in themselves, offer welcome context to Modern Times' release.

Overall, a fine release of an excellent film. If you're new to Chaplin, this is where to start.
on 13 February 2017
I'm sorry folks, I just don't get Charlie Chaplin.
I have tried, recently I sat down to watch 'City Lights' and failed to watch it through.
Undeterred and thinking 'OK I'm missing something after all so many people rave about this stuff', I sat down to watch 'Modern Times'.
Again I found it, well, annoying and not funny and not engaging me at all.
I fully accept it takes all sorts to make a world.
Those that love Chaplin obviously take huge pleasure from his films.
But for me I find them unwatchable and not worth the time of day.
Such is life.
on 11 April 2013
I have known this film since childhood and viewed it in the cinema, quite a few times. The first time I saw it was in Nakuru, Kenya East Africa in the Odeon Cinema and I literally fell off my seat laughing.. My sides ached with laughter. I thought when I saw it after many years on the DVD that I purchased from you that my reaction would be different, but no Charlie Chaplin always comes up trumps. I also viewed it with a friend and we both let out screams of laughter. This is because "The Little Man" was and still is the greatest comic actor in time and the world, an actor full of talent in many different areas.This was the last time he was to play "the Little Man", so the film has a poignancy that is special and has social comments on the way people dealt with poverty. Charlie Chaplin's films usually had serious social comments
on society and politics and did it in a way that has and always will get its' audiences in stitches. Cynthia Allen McLaglen
on 26 April 2017
It is a great, great pleasure to watch a comedy master at work in an 80 year old film which as hardly dated.
on 24 December 2007
For the last time Charlie Chaplin was the Tramp. Not for the last time, fortunately, he made a great movie. 'Modern Times' is one of his best and it still works today.

With hilarious and very famous sequences, sound used in a very special way, a great and very funny Chaplin performance, a good supporting cast including the beautiful Paulette Goddard and a great story that has tells really something this is a great silent movie. You will definitely smile constantly and have some great laughs as well.
on 22 April 2013
A classic comedy full of the usual Chaplin combination of humour and pathos. An incisive comment on social conditions of the time that could easily transpose to today. The film is accompanied by wonderful soundtrack composed by Charlie. A great classic and a must for fans.
on 31 October 2010
I was pleasantly surprised by this film. As a boy, I didn't much care for the Charlie Chaplin shorts that were shown on TV - not even after I'd had an encounter with him as a schoolboy in Switzerland. He walked past me and said "Bonjour" as I was returning from the village bakery in Glion with some bread and milk for my school colleagues. I prefered Laurel & Hardy. However, the position has now reversed.

The film is a series of segments all of which contain amusing sections whether Chaplin is taking coke in prison, roller-skating blindfold in a department store or dancing at a night-club. There was a section that didn't need to be included - the 2nd time the machinery gag was used and the boss's head gets stuck. Paulette Goddard had some good moments, eg, she knows how to get by on the street and it's quite satisfying to see her going to bed in the department store, but I felt that she was too old for the character that she was playing. No way was she a teenager!

I found the film funny. It's a love story with hope and it gives us the great message that you can have absolutely nothing and still be happy. Chaplin has converted me. I wish I'd said "Bonjour" back to him all those years ago.