Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New album - Eminem Shop now Shop now

on 9 July 2013
I bought this as a temporary replacement for my Netgear DG834PN which had reached 7 years and was constantly dropping my connection. My ISP had cut my speed as a result because it was making the line appear unstable to them.

This little thing is great, I don't know if these cheap routers can be hit and miss or perhaps those who have problems haven't configured their settings correctly but i can say for myself at least that it works great. Easy to set up and once connected it synced at my lines maximum of 8/Mbits and gave me a download of 6.7/Mbits which is my fastest yet. It has now been on for 48 hours without a single connection drop, and my devices stay connected to the router... my old one used to kick them off now and again. I am in a two floor house and the signal strength is shown as excellent upstairs.

Even if it works for 6 months then gives up it will still be worth the cheap price. I don't think there is any reason to worry! I'd buy this ahead of the similar cheap belkin versions. A wireless N modem that actually works for this cheap price... seems i just found one.

P.s there is a setting to have the router disconnect when idle and re-connect on need - DON'T enable it. This is bad for your connection.
on 6 February 2014
I bought this unit to replace an ageing unit that has run for a considerable number of years and was supplied by my internet provider pre-configured. The set-up was very easy. The supplied CD was a bit too simplistic - almost ridiculously so! I resorted to setting the router up via the router's IP address: 192.168.1.1 and going to the appropriate set-up tab as shown in the booklet. It only required my username and password (provided by my internet provider when I signed up and visible in my old router's settings) and it was away, obtaining all the required settings from the line automatically. The only other setting was a password for Wi-Fi and I simply used my old password rather than the one supplied, so I could remember it. It is fast, and has not dropped out since I set it running - nearly two months. The only downside is that I can't - as yet - set up my computers to network with each other as the router will not allow each machine to see the others. The settings in the router are at leasts for me overly technical, particularly in contrast to the ease with which it set-up and especially in comparison with the CD supplied. Other than that I would say it is the best router I have had and would recommend it very highly..
on 27 March 2014
Good and reliable. Much more configurable than BT's advertised super-duper router that I bought it to replace (that's annoyingly too clever for its own good and won't allow me to set it up the way I want). One can set it for any or all of three different frequency ranges (2.4GHz wep and/or WPA at that and/or double the frequency) and as many encryption protocols as I know of. Signal seems fine through the house even behind solid wooden doors. I'm just using 128 bit wep at 2.4. The HTTP interface is perfectly intuitive (to me - but I'm technically competent in CS and telecommunications ..). It sticks sometimes but refreshes fine. One can get through on plain TCP to a secret command line interface. It's configurable for most every kind of ADSL connection and spots which one you actually have on its own (PPPoA for me). One can even talk to it via SNMP for extra fun and more programmability - not that I can think of much to reconfigure on the fly. It's got a firewall that one can set up quite sophisticated rules in, as well as basic NAT. I have it forwarding two different incoming ports to two different devices in the house, streaming video cameras. I managed dumbly to lock myself out from the firewall and there's a hidden reset switch on the device (hold for 30s) to return it to factory condition so you can get out of that kind of painted-yourself-in-a-corner situation. The two devices I have in the house connect in reliably every time they reboot via dhcp. So far it's been reliable. Haven't tried it at the higher frequency and wpa2 yet.
on 26 April 2014
I set this up for my parents in a couple of minutes using the Router's built-in Quick-start, entered ISP username and password then created WiFi security password and it was up and running! The instructions (paper) provided are very straight forward for people who have no knowledge of these devices. I highly recommend that you change the Router login password when you have set it up as every new Router has the same login name and password. If you don't then anyone can gain access to the Router's setup and view your information and disable security etc.

Performance wise it seems as good as my more expensive TP-Link and my older Linksys/Cisco router.

I think it is a fantastic Router for the money, I never thought you would be able to buy a Router (with built-in ADSL Modem) for under £20 delivered!.
on 2 October 2013
This is a lovely wee N device for the money which I got to replace an ageing Linksys G router and it is indeed a good bit faster.

My only disappointment with it was to find out on installation that the wireless MAC address filtering can only handle a paltry 8 different devices. So if you're a fan of wireless MAC address filtering in your routers as part of your security regime be aware.

However, from what I can find on the net, it would seem MAC address filtering isn't much use any more and it's better to use WPA2 and a strong password. I hope that's true because although I have it switched on just now, once I've got more than 8 devices, it'll need to be disabled.
on 7 April 2013
This is an excellent wireless router for any ADSL (phone line) based broadband connection. Having had many connection problems with the router provided by EE broadband (their so called "BrightBox"), I wanted a replacement wireless router that wouldn't break the bank.

This router was very easy to set-up, taking all of about 15 minutes, and it has a much more stable connection than the previous router. One of the big problems we were having before is that large downloads would stop mid-way through for no apparent reason. With this new router those issues are completely resolved.

I would highly recommend this to anyone who it having problems with a router supplied by their broadband supplier. It comes with a 3 year manufacturer warranty, so you can't really go wrong!
on 14 April 2014
This router replaced an earlier version that became faulty after three years. This model is working perfectly and I have noticed that its running temperature is far lower than the previous model which must be a good thing.
on 2 May 2014
Bought this to replace an older Netgear router. As it turned out, our broadband problems were due to the telephone line and not the router, but, having used this for awhile I am quite impressed. Holds the connection well and is very easy to set up even without the start up disc. Vented upper design is a nice touch as it gets nowhere near as hot as the Netgear router. As a tip, if you are having problems with your connection try installing a surge protector between the master socket and the router. You can pick them up for pennies and they can make a real difference. All in all a very reasonable piece of kit.
on 25 March 2014
The modem/router works well in itself, however
a) you can't use the mini installation disk in a laptop with the "slot" style dvd player(no tray)
b) I use a direct/ethernet connection and this won't connect to the internet itself, I had to set up a separate connection
c) I use Windows 8.1 and have two profiles: I have to connect separately to the internet each time I change profiles and the connection is not automatic.
on 18 June 2011
I bought this because I have owned the previous model TD-W8950ND for several months and had been very happy and impressed with the performance.

This newer model, which I bought to use at another address, was a big disappointment. Although physically the same, that is where the similarity ends. The menu structure is much poorer and not nearly as intuitive and on my home line the ADSL statistics were poorer with a worse SNR.

After one week the unit started losing connectivity after a restart. I ended up returning it to Amazon, who handled the refund brilliantly, and managed to source one of the older models from another large on-line retailer.

The older model is working perfectly, just the same as my first item. These TP units do tend to run fairly warm and to that end I mount them on their end/side to allow better airflow around them.

It's a pity because TP-Link do make some pretty good low end networking products but I found the TD-W8951ND not to be up to the usual standard.