on 31 March 2014
This is my first 'hobby grade' RC car and for a beginner it fits the bill perfectly. Its reasonably cheap, its reasonably fast (whilst not being so fast you cant control it) and from testing it seems pretty sturdy (indeed i have had a couple of crashes with it and have even bent the front suspension bar but the metal work is of good enough quality to bend it back with pliers)

Definitely recommend – the only thing is you will want to upgrade by getting a higher capacity battery and a fast charger. The battery in the pack is only 1800 maH and gives about 15 mins of run time (and takes 6 hours to charge). I bought a fast charger (~£30) and a 4800 mah battery (~£25) from online stores and I now get 35-40 mins run time with 2 hours charging…
on 22 October 2013
Great car, works straight from the box just as they claim, and is plenty fast enough for beginners. Tough as well as it has been driven into some posts and other immoveable objects at speed...
on 29 August 2013
Awesome value for money.buy one if you haven't got one already.got it for my son who's 9 and was so impressed with it,just brought another one for myself.yeah man.
on 2 February 2015
I bought the Maverick XB for my 11 year old son, after 3 consecutive £40 fast but "toy grade" cars failed. Having owned a Tamiya R/C car some 30 years ago, one of the main reasons I bought this was due to the availability and relatively low cost of spares. All aspects of the car look/feel good quality but evidently not indestructible, although this hasn't put me off (I've since bought myself the XT Truggy so I can join the fun). To date we've taken the buggy out 5 times and run it both on and off road and it's plenty fast enough for some good fun. So far we've managed to bend the suspension towers 3 times (bent back with pliers), bent a shock (straightened in a vice), two of the wheels are cracked (but OK) and my wife managed to snap front of the chassis (£13 and 1 hour to replace). I considered buying the brushless version (about £70 more) or retro-fitting a brushless motor/speed controller, but based on my experience I'm glad I didn't and probably won't, as it's fast enough and more speed would almost certainly mean more time spend doing repairs.

The 1800mAh battery gives around 15 minutes of runtime for a 6 hour charge (from flat/new) and I'd recommend buying a larger battery (I bought £26 HPI Plazma 7.2V 4300mAh for both vehicles) and a peak voltage charger (£35). The larger battery not only lasts longer, but performs noticeably better than the supplied battery, so much so that I may just stop using the supplied ones.

I'd recommend that anyone considering buying this for a youngster give serious consideration to the XT truggy instead, which although around £10 more expensive is slightly more robust and less likely to require repairs. In the handful of head on collisions the XB and XT have had, the XT always seems to come off better (and often just drives over the top...). Many of the parts are common to all models in the range and I've just ordered the truggy front bumper to fit on my sons buggy as it appears to offer much better protection to the chassis/suspension.

Recommended for (big) kids!

Update 6/8/15:
Still loving using this and my XT and have since upgraded to a 3450KV brushless motor.

Some tips based on my 6 months of (ab)use;

* The speed controller may be waterproof but the receiver isn't, as I discovered when I misjudged and drove it into the sea. Cleaned and dried the receiver and it now works, but the salt water will almost certainly cause corrosion over the longer term.
* Driving it on sand is good fun but it's tough on the gears. I wore down my pinion and spur gears after around 90 min on sand, cost me around £7 to fix, but I'd do it again ;)
* The hex wheel hubs are plastic and can cause the wheels to bind if overtightened. I bought alloy replacements for mine (£3 for the set) and the wheels haven't stuck since.
* For extended running and particularly if upgrading to brushless I'd recommend changing the battery connectors for Deans style connectors (cost around £1, but it'll probably void the warranty). The factory fitted connector is Tamiya style and I had various problems with intermittent connections until it finally melted.
33 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2015
Good value buggy, very robust & built for reasonable abuse. I would recommend investing in a more powerful, longer lasting battery. Otherwise no complaints thus far, delivery quick & efficient too.
on 19 September 2014
My boy loves it (as do I). Absolutely fantastic.
on 5 June 2014
Bought this to race with my sons car a Tamiya Rising Fighter tough as old boots. Had this 2 weeks and replaced esc from water damage going through a puddle now I've bent suspension on one side from a roll. worth paying a bit more for something better. What's that saying ringing in my ears buy cheap buy twice.
on 29 December 2014
Great car and absolutely first class service from the seller. Well done.

EDIT - 18 months on still going strong and still happy.
on 16 October 2014
Excellent fun for my son (and me!) well built and good value compared to more expensive r/c cars