Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£12.23

on 16 November 2016
This is a fantastic guide to flavour. Features sections with different flavours and what accompanies them. Its really interesting as a read and my only complaint would be it could be bigger!
on 15 July 2017
This is by far the best cookbook I own, and I have a lot. Beautifully written and meticulously researched, it both suggests flavour pairings and has numerous recipes within the text. It is useful both as practical inspiration in the kitchen for what might go with what, and why, and as much of a pleasure to read as a novel.

I have both the hardback and the Kindle edition, and though I would rarely say it, the Kindle edition has a slight edge if you were are reading just for reference purposes, as the hyperlinks let you switch quickly from one flavour combination to another - love the production values of the original though. Cannot recommend enough in either form.
on 23 July 2017
makes you think of all flavours
on 17 August 2017
Bought as a present but I have been told that its an excellent book
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 August 2010
I've largely given up buying recipe books as not only do I have too many already, but also because there's been a lurch toward novelty in flavour combinations at the expense of things that really work. I saw a review that praised this Flavour Thesarus by a food writer that I respect, Elizabeth Luard, and so thought I'd give it a try. I'm so glad I did as it's a cornucopia of good ideas, old favourites and anecdotes that flesh out the history of some of the pairings of foods. What was a delightful surprise, and adds to my enjoyment of the book, is the author's divergent sense of humour in some of her descriptions that made me laugh out loud.

This book doesn't attempt to be comprehensive like The Oxford Companion to Food (Oxford Companions) so tends to lump classes of foods together, e.g., "blue cheeses" where, say, Rochfort, Gorgonzola, Danish Blue and Stilton are very different in what pairs with them best, particularly which wines suit. The Flavour Thesaurus doesn't delve into what foods and wines go well together: a topic tackled by Wine with Food: The Ultimate Guide to Matching Wine with Food for Every Occasion: a book I would recommend, though it's a complex topic that involves personal taste preferences and fine tuning of the particular grape variety/wine-grower/vintage/way you cook that all make such a difference to the flavour chemistry as it hits the palate. A very enjoyable journey can be had exploring all these variables!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 June 2011
I bought this the other day as I realised, like the author states in her intro, that I am too attached to recipe books. I was hoping that this would inspire me to try new combinations and start a bit more experimentation. And it has. However, before buying its really important to know what this book is and more importantly what it is not.

What this book is not
- a book with detailed recipes (it doesn't really have any recipes at all)
- a book with illustrations of food (there are no illustrations at all of food)
- a traditional cookery book (no measurements, no oven settings, no real cookery guide)

What this book is
- a jumping off point where you identify flavours with a brief guide to examples
- a well written explanation of how flavour combinations work
- a way for budding chefs to try new flavours with confidence

Not all the combinations are to my liking. And you won't be using this as a cooking bible. However, its very readable and as a resource for a budding chef it really takes some beating. It allows you to be creative rather than follow a recipe to the letter. Which is exactly what I wanted from this book. If, however, you are expecting recipes then avoid.
0Comment| 187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 August 2010
A useful reference work to dip into when planning a new recipe or inventing something new to produce in your kitchen.
on 21 November 2016
After wanting this book for a while I decided to buy it at last. I was slightly disappointed, possibly because my expectations were so high. I expected the book to be more visual and more informative, but instead the book is more about the author's personal experiences with food. It doesn't explain pairings in the way I thought it would, and doesn't include as many flavours or foods as I expected.
on 6 March 2015
Very good value book which gives great ideas for mixing flavours.
on 24 January 2017
Love this!!! Use it a lot and bought many as gifts, as it's so insightful and fun read!