TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 January 2009
I have read most of De Botton's works and this to me is, quite unquestionably, my favourite. But it's not just for De Botton fans, by any means...

All of us who have known what it is to love another, and be loved, will find much of brilliance in De Botton's incisive commentary. Indeed, if Essays In Love were music, it would be the definitive soundtrack to modern romance - perfectly echoing to rise and fall of every meaningful relationship between significant others; & more particularly of those whose moment was not exactly destined for eternal bliss.

I must also admit to having owned more than one copy as each time I've bought Essays In Love, a 'friend' has 'borrowed' it and, well..., let's just say that in the said process, consigned my ownership to modern history. Ah well, perhaps it's just as well that my circle of friends is diminishing with age! Nonetheless, I have now no reservations, at all, in buying another copy to treasure for years to come. And so should you: utterly brilliant!
44 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2005
Alain de Botton's 'Essays in Love' is a thought-provoking masterpiece in the description of western society's most powerful emotion. The analysis of the stages of his love affair with Chloe are fresh in viewpoint and full of the dissection needed to conquer such an emotive topic without ever becoming suffocatingly sickly. If you've ever fallen in love and have wondered whether feelings of inadequacy are unique then you should read this. It combines a beautifully penned introduction to European philosophy with a thorough scrutiny of love that will provide a real truth to an experience often impossible to analyse on a personal basis. I loved this book almost as much as the woman who recommended it.
on 17 December 2010
This is a lovely book - I have bought it again & again for my young teenagers and their friends... It's a delightful way to explore yourself and your take on life. It applies to and validates the experiences of each unique individual. It encourages free-thinking & introspection, without making a meal of it. And it's an enjoyable read - really well written!
on 3 August 2016
Private pain and obsessive love CAN forge great literature - witness The Divine Comedy

Sadly, most of us (if we are tempted to write it down) turn out self-absorbed and cringe-worthy drivel. Some pains are best kept private. Alain de B, Dante you ain't...
on 25 November 2001
This is one of the most wonderful books I have ever read. It will no doubt remain my breaking up bible. Alain de Botton captures the thoughts that each and every one of us have when we find someone, fall in love and lose them. It reminds us there is hope and that we are not alone. More than this though it is honestly a fantastic book, just to read, and to enjoy
on 27 May 2016
Don't be put off by the title: this does not consist of essays. It's a first-person love story, presented as fiction, which takes a philosophical look at every stage of a relationship. The author details his chance meeting with Chloe on a plane, how they become a couple, fall in love and so on. He is excellent at the tiny details of relationships and what they tell us about ourselves. Anyone who is in – or has been in – a relationship will recognise parts of their own experience here. How do you say 'I love you' without resorting to cliché? What do you do if you hate the new shoes your partner loves? How much of your inner self will your partner ever really know? He gives all this near-forensic analysis without ruining what is also a page-turning love story. One to savour.
on 10 August 2016
Fast service
on 23 May 2016
An easily-digestable and refreshingly enjoyable format. His intimate and well-presented narrative coupled with his philosophizing of the ordeals of falling in-and-out of love makes this book a truly unique experience.
on 18 March 2014
I can't describe how much I adore this book. Alain De Botton encapsulates his many experiences in love in one relationship between a 'fictional' man and woman. The relationship is narrated first-hand from the man's point of view (or the author's) and recounts all the ups and downs that they face, and then looks at them philosophically, critically, trying to understand why they occurred in the first place. It is incredible deep and insightful, and impossible not to see some of yourself and your relationships in their story. I recommend it to everyone, whether you be unhappily or happily in or out of love.
on 16 February 2015
This book is for those readers wanting to be instantly immersed in the story and to learn or have someone share some universal experiences we al have in relationships. full of short paragraphs that make the book smooth and wickedly addictive to read, the genuine and honest fears,highs,lows and confusion that comes with any relationship along it's timeline just felt so relatable and De Botton masterly hands us some gems of advice and thoughts to consider about love. I recommend this for anyone interested in people,relationships, self-help,love, romantic philosophy and how we live our lives.