Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£13.90

on 4 June 2013
One of the very few books I have ever read from front to back. The style is like a story that you don't want to end. Along this journey you will understand exposure better than you ever did. It's a good read even if you only play with the manual setting on occasion. Recommend this book to all interested in learning exposure.
on 2 June 2017
great
on 6 April 2017
Bought as a gift and recipient delighted.
on 2 March 2017
Very helpful
on 21 September 2010
You can break down good photos into two aspects - the composition and the exposure. This is the best book I have read that covers the exposure. For composition, I highly recommend Michael Freeman's "The Photographers Eye". That book did more to improve my photos than anything I've read in the last 3 years.

Back to this book. So, you've learnt how to compose the photo. You need to understand how to capture what you see, or to create something from what you see. This book works through the photographic triangle of aperture, shutter speed and ISO in clear language. The best thing is that every picture has the settings that the author has used. It is so frustrating that most other books don't do that. Sure, by experimentation you can learn the ideal settings yourself. But in my view you, armed with the knowledge of how the author achieves his effects (eg creamy waterfalls) helps put you in the right ball park for the settings while you are learning, which means you shouldn't be making basic mistakes while taking photos of stuff you really want to capture. Which, let's face it, is why we are taking the photos in the first place. The book encourages you to move away from using the auto settings and be more in control of the shot and acheive better outcomes.

I also have Michael Freeman's "Perfect Exposure". That is a significantly more technical book, going into details of dynamic ranges, histograms etc. In itself, it is an excellent book, but I'd recommend Peterson's book as a first step.
0Comment| 157 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 July 2012
This book is a definite must buy for any DSLR owner, and at only £10 delivered is a bargain as well. You will surely take better photo's and gain a professional's insight into many different aspects of photography. Is not at all hard to understand, very well written & with some beatifull photo's to go with each different explanation - making it very easy to put into practice. Explains technical issues to artistic to the different types of filters avaliable and how to get thee best from them. I would definitely recommend & have already bought his close-up/macro photography book.
on 7 February 2011
This is the first book (of photography) I've bought, and I'm a beginner. I've recently bought a Sony NEX 5 DSLR and I need something simple but at the same time stimulating. The book has everything I was looking for and I recommend it for the beginners who want to play with their brand new DSLR!
on 9 August 2010
As an enthusiast who wants to improve and move into more full manual control of my camera, I had been frustrated - until I picked up this book. It very usefully steps you through all the key components of creating exposure and also takes you beyond 'technically proper' exposures into 'creating' images. What I liked best was that it would demonstrate the point being made, and then explain to you how to demonstrate it to yourself (sitting there with camera in hand). Very inspiring and I feel much more confident!
on 16 January 2011
I have recently purchased this book, and although I have read some good reviews of it, I had my reservations. I thought to myself, here is yet another photography book with loads of information that will only overwhelm a potential photography beginner. I am happy to say I was completely wrong.

Understanding Exposure is a book written specifically to suit beginner photography level, and to explain the mechanics of photo taking process (exposure), in a simple, non-threatening way. Digital Photography at this day and age is very much technical, and given the amount of books, websites and other tutorials, both in writing and on the web can be very confusing and frustrating for a photography beginner. Therefore it is easy to forget the basics of photography, which are quite simple, and this is where Understanding Exposure book stands out above the rest. It keeps things simple. Many technical aspects such as aperture, shutter speed, and ISO are simplified to the level that anyone can understand. I have especially liked the concept of "who cares" aperture (f/8.0 and f/11).

Bryan also encourages the reader to take control of his/her digital camera by using Manual recording mode, which at first seems to be a little backwards when comparing to what are most of the photography magazines suggesting, but it makes perfect sense. By consciously selecting aperture and shutter speed, and keeping track of camera's suggested settings for these parameters, the reader actively takes part in understanding exposure and how it works, which is the point of the book. Getting more consistent photo results than using automatic or semi-automatic recording modes (such as aperture priority, or shutter priority) is just a cherry on top.

The book features many inspiring photos which well illustrate the concepts being explained. Many of the photos are laid out in the format before and after the point being made is taken into account.

The appeal of this book is really for the novice to intermediate photographer. I can't think of any one subject about photography that Peterson doesn't present an explanation about. Beautiful photography, nice writing style, detailed but concise explanations makes this one a keeper. If you like the second edition you'll find the third edition invaluable.
on 10 January 2011
If you are new to photography, in particular DSLRs, then this book is unquestionably for you.

Being a professional photographer I have read A LOT of books over the years about photography. And to everyone who asks me what the best book is to learn about exposure I have but one answer..."Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson".

I don't know about you but I've read books in the past where you read a page and can't remember what you just read 30 seconds ago cos it was so badly written.

Bryan's style of writing with clear and concise explanations, and lots of examples with actual camera settings, is simply a delight to read. He breaks down the components of exposure (Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO) and how they interact with each other brilliantly.

It won't teach you about composition or the 'correct' exposure as these are completely subjective anyway, but what it will do is teach you how to understand what your camera is telling.

The view finder of a modern digital SLR can be very indimidating with numbers, letters and symbols all over the place. Bryan's book will teach you what these all mean and what adjustments you need to make to get the result you want, so eventually you move away from that 'P' setting to Av, Tv and eventually M! It worked for me!

For anyone new to DSLR photography I recommend this book without reservation.