on 16 May 2016
I bought this together with a Asrock P67 Performance motherboard, this is the K version which means the CPU is fully unlocked for those of you brave and/or skilled enough to overclock your CPU, this is a fantastic one to do it with.
Even at stock settings, this is a very good CPU even for gaming with a decent graphics card. I've had this for over 3 years now and still use it for gaming, haven't had any problems with it and I can still play the latest games with good frame rates with a Asus 560GTX 448 core. If you are on a tight budget and can still get one of these, it would still be worth it then getting even tho it is a few generations behind.
on 29 June 2013
had this i5-2500k for while now,,with the asus p8z68 mother board ..
updated the bios,,0703 to the latist ..4102 bios..
Amazing ,running at 4.8 ghz ,,very fast .. have a look !!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 26 January 2011
I recently purchased this chip and overclocked it to 4.5Ghz which seems to be the highest you can go and still call it Stable!! It's epic and for the money its the best by far out of the new processors coming on the market from Intel. The chip runs quite cool and has low energy consumption compared to its predecessor. Just to clarify its a quad core with 6mb "smart" cache running at 3.3 stock, be warned though if you want to overclock you must get the 2500K version NOT the standard 2500 which is locked and can't be overclocked! Even if Overclocking is not you're thing, this processor will be more than good enough running at stock speeds!

Highly Recommended!!!
1515 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2012
Just installed one of these into my upgraded system and wow...I used a CoolerMaster EVO CPU fan and was able to overclock it from the stock 3.3GHz to 4.5GHz.

Idle temps are about 20°C and under load about 30°C. That is unreal for a 37% overclock. Completely stable and super snappy. All I need to get now is a nice SSD for my System drive and this machine will be insanely fast.

Unless you are doing a lot of heavy video editing or photo editing, I would definitely recommend this over the i7 2600K. Keep the £100 and invest in an SSD to go with your i5 2500K. You won't regret it.
on 21 December 2011
Amazing love it everything just works very well. i dont know what else to say about it just that it is prob the best cpu to get for price, reliability even when compared to amd prossesers.
on 27 February 2012
The Intel i5 2500k really is an incredible CPU. For under £170 nothing else comes close. It's impressively power efficient and runs at a very reasonable temperature. Yet more importantly its performance is staggering- a genuine tour-de-force from Intel.

To start it overclocks brilliantly- a stable 5 GHz is possible with a good air cooler, whilst 4.7 or 4.8 GHz is a perfectly achievable everyday overclock, which should avoid excessively high voltages. That said you don't even need to overclock it in order to get good performance- its architecture and IPC are both brilliant and as such it offers great performance even at stock frequencies. The turbo feature is also very useful for anyone who doesn't fancy- or really need- an overclock.

Furthermore it bulldozes through applications (AMD can't hope to match it unfortunately) and is sensationally good in games. Just google 'i5 2500k reviews' and have a look at some of the benchmarks recorded. Sensational.

I remember being shocked when the i5 2500k was first released a year ago- despite costing a fraction of the price it gave the beastly £800 Intel hexacore i7 980x a decent run for its money, even managing to surpass it in less multi-threaded applications. I couldn't believe that Intel could possibly sell a £200 CPU which could match their king-of-the-hill £800 hexacore. This concept made no economic sense. And a whole year later the i5 2500k still remains the unchallenged mid-range king. The perfect trade-off between price and performance (much more of the latter). A remarkable achievement indeed. It even fares well against Intel's newest extreme hexacores (LGA 2011) which easily cost three or four times as much. The i5 2500k isn't the fastest CPU in the market (although it isn't too far off...), yet it offers by far the best value for money.

I used around about twelve of these brilliant CPUs in 2011- I used them in every single rig I made, for myself, for friends and for family- all were centred around the black magic of the i5 2500k.

So there you have it- as 2012 commences it appears there still isn't any worthy challenger to the i5 2500k. Someone bring me a bucket- I'm going to need a whole lot more of these :D
33 Comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 April 2014
Had this for 3 years and it still rocks. Built pc for flight simming (fsx) spec - ASUS P8P67, i5 2500k, 8gb Vengence ram, Corsair 750 watt psu, 2 x EVGA 570 GTX gpu, 3 x Iiyama 24" hd screens - all this and overclocked to a superb and blissfully steady 4.7 gb !!!
Have thought about up grading to i7 and on the graphic card front too but to be honest, there's no real point as it just runs and runs all day (and night if I was that sad) and so fast, I'm thinking of setting a new world speed record!

It may be 3 years old but it's future proof - Trust me, I'm a Doctor (well actually i'm not, so don't leave any feedback of my review and ask some question about "your bad back or dodgy stomach" etc -
on 23 October 2011
Brilliant processor. Made the step up from a core 2 quad and i am astounded with the speed. Plus the potential for overclocking with the 2500k is very welcome. Could not recommended enough, Intel have really laid the foundations here.
on 16 April 2012
Just done a new build and have upgraded from an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.8ghz which has served me well for the last 3yrs.This however is a whole new ballgame and boy am i pleased with it.Married it to a Gigabyte Z68 Rev2.o board an artic cooler7 pro and 8Gb corsair vengance 1600mhz DDr3 and an OCZ Agility 2 Series - Solid state drive - 120 GB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - anodized and boy can this baby fly. I knew I needed some more power but man i never realised how slooow I was.Even my video rendering is cut in half as I like to download movies and put them on to dvd to watch on the big screen.I have noticed some reviews saying this cpu is not for video converting but I can tell you the time it takes me has now been halved and my old cpu was built for it.I have even been overclocking it albeit just a tad as its so easy but dont do what I did and use the easy bios upgrade as I knacked my system and had to go on to the gigabyte site using my laptop download the bios put it on a fat32 usb stick go into the bios and do it properly.You have been warned lol.I also upgraded my old Ge force 8800gts graphics card to a AMD radeon 6850 HD and got a WEI of 7.7 out the box.The slowest I have on the WEI is 7.6 thats for my CPU and SSD My memory was 7.7 out the box but after turning up the settings in bios to 1600 it is now 7.9 I am going to try over clocking the cpu a bit more to see what this puppy can do but the cooler I have is maybay not up to the task and after messing up the bios I am a little wary for the moment .I am playing BF3 at the mo and it is so smooth with settings on HD and maxed out.Over all I am well chuffed with my new set up .To sum up its worth every penny spent.Will need to start saving for my next build in 3 yrs.Wonder what they will have out by then lol.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 July 2012
The Core i5 2500K Is an absolutely brilliant processor, it is so damn fast, and is a worthy upgrade from a Core i5 750 that I had before, it overclocks like a beast, in 5 minutes I went from the stock 3.3GHz to 4.5Ghz just by changing the multiplier and upping the Vcore voltage by a very tiny amount and then rebooting, it's so easy to overclock Sandy Bridge that it's just about a no brainer to do so.

I could easily hit 4.8GHz or even higher, but I have no need to go any higher than what I have already as it is so fast at 4.5GHz.

It blows away my i5 750 for anything, using Xvid4PSP version 5.0 the 2500K can encode a mp3 file from WAV or WMA at a peak speed of over 1000FPS, whereas my i5 750 could barely manage 600FPS tops, and in testing using Intel Burn Test my i5 750 peaked at about 58GFlops, whereas my i5 2500K reaches over 115GFlops and sometimes even higher.

I haven't had much chance to play games as I only have the HD3000 graphics atm but I can guarantee that if I put in my HD5750 it would be easily 20%+ faster than my old system despite using the same graphics card.

When using Skype with my old processor the usage was at around 25 to 35%, with the 2500K my processor usage sits at less than 10% and most of the time it's at 5% or less, and yet there's no loss in quality from either end of the video call and in fact I'd say the quality is even better.

It's the best processor when it comes to price to performance ratio and it can even keep up with the Sandy Bridge-E processors in some cases, and if that isn't testament to this processors amazing ability then nothing is.

The cpu cooler it comes with though is really really bad, so if you're buying this processor, then please buy something better to cool it with, I used the stock cooler at first cause I needed some new thermal paste for my H50, and the processor at stock was hitting over 90 degrees celcius at which point I had to end the stress test, cause it was just 8 degrees away from TJMax, once I got the H50 on it at stock speeds the processor sits at just 45 degrees at full load, and at 4.5GHz it reaches about 76 degrees, which is way better.

If you're not bothered about Ivy Bridge then Sandy Bridge is the mutts nuts, but with Ivy Bridge out it's better to go with that.

I would highly recommend this processor or it's newer brother the i5 3570K, which although it doesn't overclock as high, once overclocked to 4.3GHz Ivy Bridge will run rings around Sandy Bridge at 4.5GHz, and use less power as well.

The bottom line is that the Core i5 Sandy Bridge processors are extremely fast, amazing overclockers, unbelievably efficient and for the price are some of the very best processors Intel has ever released, I highly recommend it.