Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.74

on 5 August 2014
I don't wish to offend the authors but this is rubbish. This only the second time I have ever given upon a book so it takes a bit of doing. Several of the stories left me utterly confused and others were just far fetched. I would not recommend this book.
on 3 January 2016
I was really disappointed. From the reviews and the calibre of the 'known' authors I was expecting much more. But from 25 short stories there was only 1 I really enjoyed! The others were dull and very predictable at best, and somewhat ridiculous at worst, with none of the clever twists I was hoping for.
Sorry, but I really wouldn't bother if I were you!
on 6 April 2011
I too bought this book based on "Lee Child" in large letters on the front. The problem with using a Kindle at times is that you sometimes just buy based on a new book by a well-liked author.

I found the stories extremely tedious and struggled to finish the eBook. Only £1 but a waste of money.
on 19 May 2014
I thought it was another Lee Child novel. It is NOT. It is a set of short stories by various authors and only one is by Lee Child.
This is not obvious from the cover or the product information.
If you like short stories, this might be for you as some stories are OK whilst others leave something to be desired.
The moral is to read the reviews before buying which I did not do.
on 29 December 2010
I dont usually read books of this genre, but this collection of stories has me hooked. All the stories are gripping and compulsive and I can't praise them enough. Well worth the price.
on 18 June 2011
Since the 1980s, the literary quarterly GRANTA has published every 10 years a volume of writings of who it considers the most promising young British and American writers, always in separate volumes. Reading back these issues, they surely confirmed budding talent, proven later on by solid careers, sales and reputations in writing.

But how to provide an audience for budding crime writers? In 2007, the newly-founded International Thrillers Writers, Inc. (IWF) published "Killer Year 2007", a collection of crime stories by newcomers. This formula did not work commercially. But IWF and established crime writers came with this 2011 alternative: "First Thrills", edited by Lee Child, a collection of 25 crime stories written by 12 bestselling authors and 13 ambitious starters.

Most stories stand alone, a few were written by e.g. pairs of practitioners of law enforcement or medicine with established crime writers. But it must also be said that few of the aspirants had a clean publishing sheet. The competition to be included in this volume must have been ferocious.
The collection covers many sub-genres and is balanced re m/f contributions. No reader will read them all from start to finish. So this reader's choice in terms of names is irrelevant: All 25 stories are at least pretty good. Half of them are very good, and in my choice of the best six stories, female writers outnumber males five to one. Find out who they are. Recommended reading!
on 5 February 2014
I bought it because of the inclusion of Lee Child, I agree with him that new writers deserve support and I seem to remember that it was a very attractive price. I did no enjoy the few stories I have read and will probably go back to it only when desperate. It may be significant that I am 64 and female.
on 4 September 2014
Collection of short stories - not what I expected when I saw Lee Child's name on the front. I'm not saying the stories are bad, but I don't enjoy short stories - I like something to get my teeth into.
on 16 February 2014
This was quite a good read and I did enjoy the story line. It was a bit dull and not in my opinion extra oridinary.
My rating was just for being average.
I did not like or dislike the book.
I would recommend it as I believe a lot of people would read it.
on 6 February 2014
It might be me but whilst I enjoyed some of the stories I found too many of them very similar and reliant on a "twist" at the end of the story. Generally I found the twists very predictable and usually quite boring. Perhaps in isolation each story might be a better read.