on 12 February 2012
I bought one of these to install in my parents' house as the old wireless router had conked out. As soon as I had selected the ISP (PlusNet - useless shower) from a dropdown list and entered the username and password in the right place it got itself online immediately with no bother. I note the problems one reviewer had trying to get the mini-cd to work in their mac. I never bothered using the CD, except when I need to check some stuff in the manual - AFAIK nobody actually needs it.

Admittedly the packaging is misleading because there's a big sticker blocking the LAN ports with a label urging you to 'run the CD first'. I've installed these things often enough to know you don't need to run any CD at all, you just login to 192.168.1.1 (usually) with your browser. If you do run the CD, you often get the bloated monster that is Internet Explorer blundering its way onto your desktop demanding to be made your default browser and asking you all sort of dumb questions about your surfing preferences... sorry, bit of a rant there. Bottom line - ignore the sticker over the ports.

Secondly, I was amazed to find that the firmware needed updating. I needed to use a fixed-IP address on the network and although I went through all the router's rather obscure and acronym-riddled menus I could not find the routine for fixing an IP address to one MAC address anywhere. Either TP had called it something else or it simply didn't exist, but as soon as I had updated the firmware the option appeared on Page One of the setup. Clearly I am not the only user who got lost in the menus looking for the blasted thing. Amazing that they ever issued a model that did not have that vital function from firmware v1.0.

Once up and running I found the router fairly powerful - though with two aerials I frankly expected a rather stronger signal - but very quick to respond and reboot, which was a pleasant change. I was surprised to find the wireless signal switched on with no security by default. That is not good practice.

It's fantastic value for money though. I would have liked a USB port, with the potential to plug a printer into it making it effectively a networked printer spooler, but for £32 you can't really complain.

I'd give it five stars, but minus one star for (a) forcing me to waste forty minutes looking though the interface for a function that did not exist in that version of the firmware (b) filling the menus with acronyms I'd never heard of (wth is ACL?) and (c) putting a sticker over the ports telling me I needed to run the CD when I didn't.
on 3 March 2011
First time writing on Amazon...this product needed it. After being disappointed by the Netgear DGN series, I thought i'd go for the lesser known company. However, it has lived up to it's price tag twice over. It's range is good which is expected as it's Draft-N, boosted the ADSL connection by another 1meg at least and is very reliable for keeping a steady connection. I've used several different devices (iphone, ipod, xbox 360, laptop etc)at once and at different times and it hasn't wavered once.

I'm an amateur when it comes to routers but i've had several and this one definitely comes out on top. The setup is simple but the browser interface can be daunting to a novice user.

Summing up, want something that don't look good but will give you a satisfied feeling after you've purchased it? Buy the W8961ND. It will NOT LET YOU DOWN!
on 15 February 2012
Purchased this Modem/Router to replace an old Siemens Speedstream Modem, because I had began to experience increasing problems losing my internet connection & my provider, Talk Talk, assured me that my tetephone line & system settings were fine! I had already changed all of my ADSL filters, but that did not make any difference, either, so I decided to replace the modem.
I contacted Ebuyer Technical Department & asked their advice for a replacement & they recommended a TP-Link TD 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Router & would have ordered from them, but for their ridiculous postage prices!
So ordered from Amazon & saved over £5.00 on the deal.
This arrived very quickly & was really very simple to set-up! I simply connected the new router as described, then ran the set-up disk & the unit set-up itself and its worked perfectly ever since! Never lost my internet connection since!
From losing it 10-12 times per day to continuous connection for almost a week, great news!!!
on 18 January 2011
This has replaced a Linksys Wag54 which constantly dropped the line causing problems. I have now had this product 4 days and it dropped a line out once but very quickly restored the status quo. It was easy to set up and is proving reliable. When setting up, use the browser option as the CD setup lost the country/ISP data and then encountered an error 20 later on. This was the process given from their help desk in response to the error.
on 26 May 2011
I bought this router to replace a Thomson TG585 v7 in the hope that the wireless performance would be better.

However, it turned out that the modem was prone to drop connection to the exchange 5 or 6 times a day in contrast to the Thomson which was rock solid in that department and could maintain a connection for weeks on end

If like me you have a very long line to the exchange then perhaps I can suggest that this may not be the router for you
44 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 June 2011
I researched for a few days before I finally decided to give this router a shot, but I know now that I made the right decision.

My broadband is supplied by TalkTalk and recently the router that they supplied developed a fault. I tried speaking to them to see if they'd supply me with a new router but it quickly became apparent that they were going to cause more stress than I could be bothered with.

With the faulty router my download speed tested at 0.5mb/s which is obviously terrible. After receiving this router in the post I had it set up within 15 mins and my speed now tests constantly at 6-7mb/s. It also works perfectly with Xbox Live which was another of my main concerns.

I would very highly recommend this product, especially at such a reasonable price. Happy customer much?
on 20 November 2011
Great router for the money. Has a lot of features. The administration pages aren't as easy to follow as the bigger brands but it's straight forward enough.

Amazon page suggests this is the model up from the TD-W8960 but it's not, it's actually a model below.
The TD-W8960 has VPN to VPN support. Probably nothing you'll ever use in a home setup but if you're after this feature go for the TD-W8960
66 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 August 2014
Great value but limited functions.
I am a fan of TP-Link routers. The main problem with them is there are so many to choose from and on Amazon the more expensive ones are not necessarily the best.

This was the cheapest when I purchased it (£24) but there are cheaper and better ones now. It works great, for the vast majority of people, but there are some things you should be aware of.
- TP-Link did not intend this model for the UK market. It has a Euro plug, so you will need an adapter, and it doesn't default to UK connections. The software supplied with it does give UK options. I normally tell people to forget the disk and install using the web interface but this model is an exception - use the disk.
- It will probably ask to update its firmware after it has been installed, it is wise to let it do it.
- It doesn't have all the functions of the better models but if you just want to connect to the internet, share files and share printer (via a PC or wireless) it will do that well. If you need a VPN (if you don't know what that is you don't need it!) or special routing for a games box then this is probably not for you.
- The range is reasonable (better than Netgear) but if your house has problems with Wi-Fi signals you will need better than this.

At the time of writing, this router is not the best value and there are better value TP-Link routers available.
on 25 August 2011
I bought this to replace a NetGear N300 that kept dropping the Internet signal - a common problem with NetGears as i needed a powerful good range router.

We have 3 laptops, 2 smartphones, a Wii and an ipod that all need to be connected.

The TP is easy to set up provided you have some idea about what you are doing, a complete novice may become a little bewildered by the different screens.

But once we were up and running, it was faster than the Netgear and also very stable. I have had the internet drop once and that was because of the line, not the router.

I needed a greater range and this router has a very strong a fast range quite some distance away (and through half of the house!). If you are a bit of a distance away, it does tend to struggle to connect to the router but otherwise, I can't fault it.

Aesthetically, it is a little too 'functional' in its appearance but we have semi hidden it away.

My only real niggle is that if you turn it off, sometimes it takes a couple of goes to re-connect to the internet but I believe that this is firmware related and is being fixed currently.

Only 4 stars because of its physical look and also its set up screens. Nothing wrong with them but they look more 'IT Services' than consumer - Don't let that put you off, it's a great bit of kit.
on 28 May 2011
I have had nothing but trouble with my Buffalo WBMR-G300N which was (a) difficult to set-up; and (b) kept dropping its connection every minute or so (generally rubbish). However, this router was the complete opposite, incredibly easy to set-up and the connection is fantastic, great range and super quick (300Mbps). Definitely one of the best decisions I have made when buying a router / modem.