on 28 December 2011
I purchased this to replace an ageing Netgear router. I was expecting the setup to be a painful process, but it was quick and simple. I have had the router up and running for the last two weeks and it has been a reliable fast connection which has not dropped the line or needed to be rebooted. The wifi signal seems to reach throughout my house which is made of stone and has walls that are three feet thick - I do not appear to have any dead spots signal wise. So far I am very, very pleased with this item, especially for the price.
on 8 December 2012
My first TP link router, I'm using it with talktalk plus service. TT provided a dlink N router which gave me 5.5MB download speed. So bought this to imporove, bad choice for first few days was fine then it would drop connection to net and required rebooting few times before net is restored. and Download speed was 4.5 MB.

Thanks to amazon great customer service who arranged it to be returned and full refund. I agree with many buyer who are having same problem so best to avoid this model.
on 17 March 2017
Nice router.
on 9 August 2017
It works but not always!
on 9 August 2017
Good value for money
on 15 February 2012
Purchased this Modem/Router to replace an old Siemens Speedstream Modem, because I had began to experience increasing problems losing my internet connection & my provider, Talk Talk, assured me that my tetephone line & system settings were fine! I had already changed all of my ADSL filters, but that did not make any difference, either, so I decided to replace the modem.
I contacted Ebuyer Technical Department & asked their advice for a replacement & they recommended a TP-Link TD 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Router & would have ordered from them, but for their ridiculous postage prices!
So ordered from Amazon & saved over £5.00 on the deal.
This arrived very quickly & was really very simple to set-up! I simply connected the new router as described, then ran the set-up disk & the unit set-up itself and its worked perfectly ever since! Never lost my internet connection since!
From losing it 10-12 times per day to continuous connection for almost a week, great news!!!
on 12 February 2012
I bought one of these to install in my parents' house as the old wireless router had conked out. As soon as I had selected the ISP (PlusNet - useless shower) from a dropdown list and entered the username and password in the right place it got itself online immediately with no bother. I note the problems one reviewer had trying to get the mini-cd to work in their mac. I never bothered using the CD, except when I need to check some stuff in the manual - AFAIK nobody actually needs it.

Admittedly the packaging is misleading because there's a big sticker blocking the LAN ports with a label urging you to 'run the CD first'. I've installed these things often enough to know you don't need to run any CD at all, you just login to 192.168.1.1 (usually) with your browser. If you do run the CD, you often get the bloated monster that is Internet Explorer blundering its way onto your desktop demanding to be made your default browser and asking you all sort of dumb questions about your surfing preferences... sorry, bit of a rant there. Bottom line - ignore the sticker over the ports.

Secondly, I was amazed to find that the firmware needed updating. I needed to use a fixed-IP address on the network and although I went through all the router's rather obscure and acronym-riddled menus I could not find the routine for fixing an IP address to one MAC address anywhere. Either TP had called it something else or it simply didn't exist, but as soon as I had updated the firmware the option appeared on Page One of the setup. Clearly I am not the only user who got lost in the menus looking for the blasted thing. Amazing that they ever issued a model that did not have that vital function from firmware v1.0.

Once up and running I found the router fairly powerful - though with two aerials I frankly expected a rather stronger signal - but very quick to respond and reboot, which was a pleasant change. I was surprised to find the wireless signal switched on with no security by default. That is not good practice.

It's fantastic value for money though. I would have liked a USB port, with the potential to plug a printer into it making it effectively a networked printer spooler, but for £32 you can't really complain.

I'd give it five stars, but minus one star for (a) forcing me to waste forty minutes looking though the interface for a function that did not exist in that version of the firmware (b) filling the menus with acronyms I'd never heard of (wth is ACL?) and (c) putting a sticker over the ports telling me I needed to run the CD when I didn't.
11 Comment| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2011
First time writing on Amazon...this product needed it. After being disappointed by the Netgear DGN series, I thought i'd go for the lesser known company. However, it has lived up to it's price tag twice over. It's range is good which is expected as it's Draft-N, boosted the ADSL connection by another 1meg at least and is very reliable for keeping a steady connection. I've used several different devices (iphone, ipod, xbox 360, laptop etc)at once and at different times and it hasn't wavered once.

I'm an amateur when it comes to routers but i've had several and this one definitely comes out on top. The setup is simple but the browser interface can be daunting to a novice user.

Summing up, want something that don't look good but will give you a satisfied feeling after you've purchased it? Buy the W8961ND. It will NOT LET YOU DOWN!
22 Comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 May 2011
I have had nothing but trouble with my Buffalo WBMR-G300N which was (a) difficult to set-up; and (b) kept dropping its connection every minute or so (generally rubbish). However, this router was the complete opposite, incredibly easy to set-up and the connection is fantastic, great range and super quick (300Mbps). Definitely one of the best decisions I have made when buying a router / modem.
on 19 September 2012
Our previous router, a 2Wire 2700HGB gave up the ghost last week after many years of use so we needed a router very quickly. It was constantly dropping the connection and after consulting Zen technical support and doing a few tests, we found the problem was with our router not the line. My husband bought this from a brick and mortar shop and paid a few pounds more. Had we not needed one straight away we would have bought it from Amazon as usual. We have a very long line and are 5.9Km from our exchange and have an Attenuation of 62. We normally have great difficulty in getting a router that holds our long line without dropping. Connected this router up and it synced at 3999kbps (higher than the 2Wire's 3700kbps) and held all day and dropped out at night when it re-synced at 3587kbps and has held up for 5 days, unheard of on our very long line! Didn't hold out much hope for this router because we read that it was only really good for short lines close to the exchange. Perhaps it is more to do with the chip being used in the equipment at the exchange rather than how far your line is from the exchange - don't know. According to our previous 2Wire router the equipment at our exchange uses an Infineon chip. The wireless is not as good as the 2Wire was and does not reach my workroom in the garden - to be fair it does have to get through several walls, a conservatory, a raised garden and several trees to get to the workroom!!! Sorted that out with a TP-Link TL-WN822N 300MBPS High Gain Wireless N USB Adapter (bought from Amazon) and now get a constant 3 bars in my workroom. We do get the full 5 bars throughout the house.

Had no problems setting the router up following the supplied instructions. Very pleased with the router so far and would recommend it for ease of use, connectivity and price.