on 30 May 2013
I bought the akg 550 before these, I didn't think the Quincy jones would be that much better, how wrong I was. You can hear every bit of the recordings, everything is on one level, bass can dig deep, depending on what your listening to. Some people say these are just for classic music, easy listening. Rubbish, I listen to hard house, techno, trance, hip hop, and pink floyd. And it all sounds mint, well they would being that colour. For £250 these are something of a bargain. Buy them now, you won't regret it. And my set haven't even been worn in yet. Can only get better. These are harder to run than most headphones, I have to have these louder than my 550's. little amp would be good with these. Excellent,
on 20 December 2011
I bought a Colorfly C4 earlier this month on Amazon. I decided to buy some new headphones to realise its full potential. I listened to quite a few, I do not buy this sort of thing without an audition, firstly the popular ones on dem at HMV in Oxford, Dr Dre, Skull Kandy and so forth. These sounded vey contrived with astonishingly boosted one-note bass and quite raucous treble, disappointing.
Then I went to Oxford Audio Consultants and listened to Sennheiser and AKG phones. I was looking for a combination of quality and comfort. The top model Sennheisers sounded great but were not as comfortable as, and more expensive than, these AKG Q701s. They sound really superb with magnificent clarity, deep clear accurate non-boomy bass and are super comfortable.
The only down side? Paying list price for the privilege of listening for myself, I usually feel this is worth the extra but in this case the Amazon price is almost half what I paid :-(
Strongly recommended if High Fidelity and comfort are the goal, perhaps not if you prefer the bass-up-to-maximum type of 'phones.
on 27 February 2014
I'd been toying with the idea of getting a pair of high quality audio headphones for a while, so I did my research and there is quite a bit of competition in the £200 - £300 price range; audio quality is one of those things where you notice increasingly diminishing returns in relation to the price, so this was the maximum I wanted to pay.

Although I wasn't able to preview them prior to purchasing, the AKG Q701 headphones have received extremely positive reviews from press and users alike. Since I'd owned a pair of AKG K141M headphones in the past and found them to be excellent, I decided to take the plunge with the AKG Q701.

First impressions on opening the box were very positive. The headphones are surprisingly light and build quality feels good, but I would advise anyone to take care of these; you certainly wouldn't want to drop them on a hard surface as I imagine the earpieces would shatter or crack quite easily.

The cable that connects the Q701's to your audio source is detachable, so if the cable breaks then you can simply buy a new one and you're not left with an expensive paperweight. In fact, the box contains two separate cables: one with a 3.5mm jack and another with a 6.35mm, so you already have a potential spare. The cables themselves are reasonably thick and have good moulded shielding around the ends, so fractured cables shouldn't be a problem as long as you look after them.

In terms of comfort, these are some of the best headphones I've worn. As already mentioned, they're very light and have a retention system that should automatically adjust the size to the wearers head. The headband has cushioned ridges on the underside that rest on top of the wearers head, which adds a measure of comfort to wearing them for prolonged periods.

One of the things I hate most about headphones is they tend to my make my ears hot and itchy after wearing them for a while, but I'm pleased to say that this doesn't happen with the Q701s; I've worn them all day and I've experienced no discomfort at all. The ear-cups are made of a cushioned velour-style material and rest nicely on the side of my head and my ears go right inside.

As for the sound quality, considering I'd bought these without previewing them first, I am extremely impressed with them. I use them hooked up to a an amplifier, which in turn is fed by a high-end consumer-level soundcard in a PC. Having tried a wide range of high quality audio files across a number of different genres, from electronic to rock, the Q701s have a great soundstage. All of the instruments are laid out so that the listener can hear each and every one of them, plus additional detail that you perhaps never noticed was there.

I'd seen some reviewers comment that they felt they lacked bass, and while I'd agree these aren't for bass-heads, they certainly low frequencies in style; the bass is tight, punchy and distinctive.

I suppose that, ultimately, the mark of a good set of headphones is how much they make you smile when you listen to them, and the Q701s had me grinning from ear to ear!
on 26 September 2013
These open back headphones sound fantastic. I am not one of those audiophiles as they call themselves, but I have got the Sennheiser HD650 Reference Headphones also, and I would have to say, for me personally, I prefer the sound quality from these headphones any day. It really shines when you are playing properly recorded orchestrated music with clean pure sounds coming out of it. I am using the FiiO E17 Portable Headphone Amplifier with it on the go, and at home I use the Audiolab 8200 M-DAC. It will also show up, how bad popular music is. It is very good with THX Blu-ray movies, and great with high end PC games.

I can wear the headphone for hour on end. It is very comfortable on my ears, but unfortunately, and this is a BIG downside, the cap part the sits on my bold head digs into the top of my head, hurting over time, and eventually leaving a dent in my head, to the shape of the underside of that black cap. I have had these headphones for 6 weeks now. The last 4 weeks, I have been using them virtually every day, so hopefully my head will get use to the cap. If not, then I am afraid that I will have to tape some kind of padding under the cap, to protect the top of my head from it.

Don't let that put you off, because I will sort out this problem without any difficulty, I know it is just a pity I have to do something like this. My Sennheiser HD650 Reference Headphones don't give me any sort of comfort problems at all except the headphone feels too tight on my ears, a problem I know will go in time, but I still prefer these AKG Q701 Quincy Jones Reference Class Premium Headphones for cleaner, purer sound quality.

They are on the cheap now, and I would definitely recommend, if you are looking for a high end headphone, to buy one of these. Be warned though, you will need a good headphone amp to get the most out of it.
on 16 September 2013
Top quality product and 'Made in Austria'....latest production of this model has moved to China. I went for the all green model as they are quite different to the usual black models.....very big & very bold with a sound quality to match.......really good across the whole frequency back so you tend to listen 'through' them....efficiency is moderate at their impedance but as I use them in my home studio where I have plenty of signal to drive them then volume isn't an issue.....probably not suitable for iPods but would you go out wearing these?.....2 leads provided one long and one very long....both use a miniaturised version of an XLR plug to connect to the phones...very pro....bought at this price which is below half of RRP they are a bit of a bargain and I'm quite happy....they replaced a worn out pair of Koss Pro 4AA which I have had since the 70s......absolutely no comparison between the two...AKG win hands, comfort, power and tone......a good buy and goodbye!
on 8 February 2012
Stunning headphones. I am re-discovering my record collection with a new dimension and freshness previously not thought possible. The seperation is stunning. I have not found anything they struggle with.
on 25 April 2016
I bought these last year. I previously owned the AKG K550 and loved them... my daughter is enjoying those now! I thought getting these at their reduced price were going to be a great deal. I recall my first impression upon opening the box, one of total disappointment in the general feel of the headphones, the overly plastic and cheap construction. I know you can pay silly money for decent cans, for any consumer product in fact but I was expecting more for my money, much more! At the time I was unaware there were two versions of these headphones doing the rounds, the made in Austria version and the Chinese version. Upon inspection I have a made in China version, I've not been able to compare the two versions.
I'm writing this review because I find myself looking for another set of quality headphones, the Beyerdynamic T90's look appealing yet I feel annoyed I'm even having to consider another pair because the AKG Q701 have never quite hit the mark. I do find them hard to listen to for overly long periods, the mids and highs start to grate me a little, bass wise they suit my taste, natural and not overblown. As much as I try to enjoy the AKG's it's just not happening, I feel short changed. I'm running mine through an ODAC/Amp and as mentioned elsewhere some kind of headphone amplification is definitely needed. Leakage is beyond comparison with any other headphones I've used. They certainly expose a poor quality source as I suppose good headphones should but my issues are more about the poor quality of build. I seek a set of headphones I can be truly proud to own and will not want or need to upgrade anytime soon, the AKG Q701 sadly don't fit the bill.Should also be a verified purchased but I bought the black version and review here in error.
on 25 August 2013
These are an upgrade from my AudioTechnica M50s, and these headphones are better in everyday. Firstly you will notice how lightweight they are for such a big headphone. Lightweight and comfy. These headphones totally cover the ears and are a joy to wear. Especially noticible considering the heavy M50s which i personally get headphone fatigue quite quickly.

The headphones are plugged into a cambridge audio amp and run out of the tape out into a fiio e7, sound source is Vinyl from a Rega RP1, and whilst the internet will tell you this isnt powerful enough, let me tell you it is, and they sound joyful. I am upgrading the headphone amp in the future so may update the review but for now these sound beautiful.

Headphones are definately one of those things you can research forever, with likes and dislikes, pros and cons for everything. For these I would say they sound amazing, can wear them all night long and am very happy.

Negatives? Well i guess they leak sound and are probably quite expensive but they are the best i have owned.

on 3 April 2014
I have or had Sennheiser 598, Bayerdynamics DT770 pro (32Ohm), Sony MDR-MA900 and these headphones. While i think they are all very good headphones, these Q701 are my favourites. Sound quality is great, and why these stand out as my favourites is most largest soundstage and spaceness out of those four. I pair these with Soundblaster Z. From EQ i have added bass about +5db for fun and lovered treble around 2-10 Khz for about 4db in order them not to be slighly too bright for my personal taste. Only crape is those little bumbs in headband. While they are soft, they do get noticed and are a bit irretating over time, but no biggie. The Cushions are thick and big (i think partly adding that spacesness) and soft. I'm very happy with these headphones. Wish i had these before those others.
on 12 March 2013
I bought the AKG Q701 headphones to replace Sennheiser 595 phones as these started to on the plastic holding the ear pads, the sound was quite good for £160. But the AKG Phones are a lot better soundwise,and a lot better made.I bought the white model which look very smart with a black trim,and two different lengths of Green Cable,two different sizes of jack plugs.These phones i should think are for HI-FI use,the white model comes at a good reduction on the black model and are very well worth it,they look really good,more important they sound very,very good.I have mine plugged into a Creek OBH 21se Headphone Amplifier connected to a Exposure pre-amp.Music played varies between Beethoven orchestral, string quartets,Bruckner, Tchaikovsky,classical guitar,piano, Jazz From,louis Armstrong,Jell roll Morton,Miles Davies,Dave Brubeck, big bands from Ellington, Count Basie,Jerry Mulligan,a few pop, Joe Cocker,Peter Gabriel ella,but mainly classical and Jazz.Having said all this,these AKG Q 701 Phones play every thing GREAT. THEY PLAY Bass where there is Bass,their is plenty Beethoven,ellington,Count Basie and Miles Davies, Joe Cocker etc,but i have no Heavy Rock.But i think think these phones will be good with most things if connected to good equipment.