on 6 September 2017
Unchallenging fun little reads, all beautifully written. Very different to my normal tastes and a very welcome breath of fresh air.
on 17 August 2015
These short stories, reminded me of Roald Dahl Tales of the unexpected, The stories, are so well written, I just couldent put the book down. Some of the stories are so funny, you just laugh out loud, I would definitely recommend this book.
on 28 November 2015
Afraid that personally I didn't find any of these stories especially good/engaging. "Funny" was definitely a long shot and I found myself wishing stories to end rather than enjoying the journey
on 9 October 2013
A good mix of stories, all nice and short and with twists that really work. I really enjoyed this collection and will look out for more by the author.
on 5 April 2012
I would happily buy any other books from this(these) authors. The stories are interesting, very well written, and the endings of quite a few are unpredictable.
The style of writing is very similar to Jeffrey Archer only better (if he wrote this under a pseudonym I'll end up with a lot of egg on my face...). Would be money well spent at double or triple the price.
on 20 February 2013
I was amazed to read the two star review which claimed "They tend to read as simply a list of actions by the main character. All conflict and suspense is therefore sadly lacking."

This is completely at odds with my experience of the stories. I've always enjoyed "twist in the tail" type stories, but have accepted that they very often suffer from a lack of dimension, the characters being mere ciphers on which to hang the twist. Consequently they are the kind of stories that don't usually bear a second reading - once you know the twist, there is never a reason to read them again.

However, the depth of characterisation and atmosphere in these tales means that they can be read more than once for the sheer pleasure of the writing.

On finishing the book, I immediately went to look for more in a similar vein by Pete Barrett. Unfortunately, it seems that his only other books (at least on Amazon) are for children.
44 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 March 2013
Great read for when you are relaxing and not particularly in the mood for anything heavy! Shades of Roald Dahl!
on 8 March 2013
I enjoyed this book enormously. Each tale was well written and interesting. Each time i finished one I couldnt wait to read the next.
on 12 March 2013
A good read for the bus or train. Well written and nicely entertaining. The short story genre needs a really good author.This is one.
on 6 February 2013
Having just read one of these superbly written stories via the Shortbread website I thought you'd be interested to know what other people thought as well...

"Brilliant Pete, Great dialogue and well described, you nailed women precisely, see my wife. Well done, keep it up. Yours SW" Sandy Wardrope

"captivating story...sweet narrative...wonderful ending!" Stan-collins Ubaka

"great narrative, great style, fast, suspensful and a humdinger of a twist in the tale." Oscar Ranzo

"Loved this one. Well- written and I was totally sucked in!" Denise Melville

"This story added a smile to my day! Very nice story and very good writing. Well done." Dorothy Spruzen

"Absolutely brilliant. I am actually stuck for words it was that good." Moira Prentice

"Lovely twist and so well written. It kept me guessing all the way through." Ann Smith

"An anticlimax? Yes, but such a relief! The build up was fantastic and my imagination was running riot with Linda's. A well crafted, humorous story and the touches of darkness made it quite compelling. Thanks Peter." Valerie Ball.

"Lovely. No words wasted. Great build up and neat twist. I can already hear it on the radio. Thank you." Sheena Robertson.

"Beautifully balanced between the initial character sketch, the nature of the relationship, the inevitable weakening and the killer punch line. Respect, Peter." Bill Kirton

"Very nicely done! What a true picture of the human mind. Reminds me of the Bluebeard stories. Thanks, Peter." Ingeborg Alde

"I did not like either of them. But I wasn't meant to. They were so human! What a stroke of genius this story was. Makes one think of the nasty things in one's own life. Good job. And the narrator was just the one for it. Thanks to all. Patsy R Liles":

"Brilliant!" Dickson Telfer.:

"Thanks Peter, Loved this story and a great ending. More please." Meg Malpass.

"There's nothing more calculated to peak your curiosity than to be told something's there, but you mustn't look at it, especially if the request to leave it alone is repeated a few times, and then to add, "...you might not like me..." Great stuff! David knows his friend all too well I think. Well done." Jay Leffew

"As someone who has reverted to son and hen, as forms of address, for family and friends. I enjoyed this. I have walked away from many people thinking, who the hell are they, they must be one or the other. I think you showed it well here." John Slater.

"Here is an example of why this rating system is almost useless.....an excellent story that is deserving a higher rating. The ending, which we might have guessed except we were so properly set up with the "political correctness thing" Well done. A fine listen!" David Green