on 8 December 2011
This cold-shoe umbrella mount could be designed slightly better, the screws used to tighten up the umbrella holder and cold-shoe are perfectly circular heads, so they're very difficult to grip and get enough friction and tighten securely - which leads to the umbrella slipping.
A way to get around this is by using a screwdriver, as the heads all have a screwdriver fitting, however I can't understand why they wouldn't just put nicer heads on the tightening screws.

As for the rest of the device; it looks strong and well made, it's metal and is robust so can take a few knocks. The cold shoe of my canon 480EXII fits well and seems very secure when tightened into place. The hole for the umbrella arm is large which allows for a good range of thicknesses.

If you don't mind carrying a screwdriver with you, or just shoot in a studio; I would recommend this product. I travel with my gear a lot and extra tools are a hassle as it's one more thing to lose.
9 people found this helpful
on 12 October 2015
The only reason for not giving 5 stars was there was a slight issue with the delivery, but I think this was due to royal mail and not the vendor. Once I received it I was very pleased with the build quality of this. I was very wary for the prices that I may put my Speedlight at risk with a poor adjustable ratchet head coming loose. I used it for my first indoor event shoot on Friday and was very pleased with this head. It is sturdy, well built and you feel that sense of security for your expensive speedlight attached to this. Very recommended.

Jules
on 1 February 2013
Locks in well and is made of metal so it's not going to break anytime soon. I was a little miffed that the price seems rather high for such a simple item, but i decided that i would rather splash a little extra, than rely on some flimsy plastic version which might break and drop an expensive speedlight.

Update 01/03/2015
I've been using this for around 2 years now and it has served me well so far. Despite heavy use, it still locks firmly in place and feels very durable and hasn't really shown any signs of wear. I do however have two issues with this, which are to do with the shoe mount. Firstly, when tightened the hot shoe sits at an odd angle to the brolly mount, which can be fixed by using the swivel head on the speedlight - Not a major issue, but a minor irritation. The second, and possibly greater issue, is that the shoe mount itself is small - The speedlight literally sits on top of the shoe, with no room to slide or adjust. This had made me conscious about making sure that the shoe lock is extra tight, because if it isn't, your speedlight WILL fall off.

I would still recommend this mount and it will probably last me many more years due to the materials it made of, however having had the opportunity to try alternatives - I would personally suggest trying the Kaavie Universal Swivel Mount ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006VTJQT0/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_18 ) - The only drawback of this one, is that its made of plastic (albeit heavy duty plastic, but still plastic). But having said that; its lighter, less expensive, locks in just as tight, has a much larger shoe mount and larger adjustment knobs which makes tightening a lot easier.
on 5 April 2013
This device is at the premium price end of the range for Chinese products but still a good deal cheaper than the industry standard Manfrotto model which I also use. The Manfrotto one is excellent but much larger and heavier than this one which is what I needed. It does the job and the main castings are well made. The main problem with this unit is poor attention to detail. The threaded section that the cold-shoe screws onto is set into the top casting at a slight angle which therefore throws the flash gun off at an angle also. Not a big issue, more cosmetic than anything, but a bit irritating. This threaded piece also needs to be a few milimetres longer.
The locking cold shoe is well made but the two halves have a very sloppy fit. The head of the locking screw needs to be a bit bigger and has sharp burrs where the slot has been machined into it (on both of the units I bought).
The locking ring, needed to enable the shoe to line up with the brolly shaft, is thin and plastic. It does the job at present but I don't expect it to be too long before the thread strips. This should definitely be metal - especially since this unit is 2 or 3 times the price of other Chinese models.
On the plus side the ratcheted tilting mechanism is very good. You don't need to tighten the locking screw very much to prevent any form of movement. Another BIG plus - this was the only unit that I checked out that specified the diameter of the brolly shaft! This is a vital piece of information if you already have the brollies or if you need to order some.
Now, will someone please produce on of these devices that will allow you to fit the cold shoe vertically so that the speedlight (in its unbent mode) can lie close to the brolly shaft - on its side so that you can still see the display and get at the controls.
on 29 March 2014
Other reviews said the mount didn't droop when a Speedlite and umbrella were mounted...I've found mine does. Also, the SpeedLite mount will rarely screw on to perfectly align with the umbrella hole, so users who don't have a swivelling flash may struggle.

All that said, the construction is very solid and pretty decent value.
on 21 August 2013
I bought the 'Westcott 43-inch Optical Satin Collapsible with Removable Black Cover' and 'kaavie - Multi-function Adjustable Cold Shoe Mount Umbrella Light Stand' together and although both were very good for the price - about £15 & £7 respectively. But, the hole in the stand was slightly too small for the umbrella. I dont know where the fault lay but a couple of minutes with a drill (to the hole in the stand) sorted it out and now they work a treat! Bear this in mind but I wouldn't hesstitate to buy either again.
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 19 June 2012
this flash holder is metal and well made there have been reviews saying the silver knobs are difficult to shut.I have taken the knob of the bottom and swapped them both over job done now can control the umbrella from slipping alittle.
Have ordered two for my flash photography. Much better than the cheap plastic ones for £5.95
on 24 March 2012
Has an adapter that allows a screw mount to the tripod. Well made and very fast delivery - used on a VDO shoot for interview with umbrellas and does the job quite nicely. Match it with a couple of battery powered LEDs and that's the lighting sorted.
5 people found this helpful
on 1 November 2011
Item arrived days with 3days so quite speedy tbf and actual unit is solid. Its a good little piece of kit although the cold shoe is a bit rubbish, I managed to strip mine literally IMEDIATELY as tbf it is just plastic and this was with gentle force. Im going to try and use a bigger screw so it "works" again. good point is though that although it stripped I can STILL use the mount as you can just unscrew the cold shoe off and use the male screw underneath if you have a cold shoe (usually come with flashes). Other than that its great and I can still use so its fine!
4 people found this helpful
on 26 May 2012
Nice quality, They fit snugly on top of my Konig light stands. The rachet movement is not too violent as it can be with the cheaper models. My canon flash coldshoe fits securely into the bracket. One negative is, if you are using Pocketwizards they are slightly lose even when the bracket is fully tightened.