Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Worried Blues Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 14 July 2013
I saw this production in London in 2006 at the National Opera House. It was nothing like I expected it to be, but I was far from disappointed! The rear part of the stage was a mirror which was tilted, so one could see behind as well as in front. Everything Minghella used in this production was in traditional Japanese art form, it was mind blowing. The costumes were simply stunning, they looked like traditional Japanese paintings as the figures stood singing! The use of a puppet instead of a real child was utterly superb! It was difficult to realise that it was a puppet and not a real child. The flow of "blood" at the end from Butterfly, eminated from her blood red Obi, it unravelled like a flow of blood. How they did that I cannot imagine. The whole production was simply superb, from the singing, to the costumes,the fan dance and the puppetry, the list is endless. During the final curtain bow for Butterfly, the puppet ran on stage and leapt into her arms, just like a real child would run to its mother, it brought the house down!
on 20 November 2014
Madame Butterfly

This is my tenth or so Opera. I've watched the most popular ones I guess? This is without doubt the most compelling, tragic, and most definitely, beautiful performance to watch.
The whole experience is so wonderful on the eye and ear , and oh those puppets - especially that amazing scene at the beginning of Act two, with the ballet & Geisha girl puppet - just stunning, no other word will do, it's truly memorable.
The sets are wonderful, the songs' divine, as are the costumes and special effects. However, the performance of the `Butterfly,' Patricia Racette, is by a long way the best lead I've witnessed thus far and near brought a tear to my eye! What a performance! Yes, of course she looks older than 15, or latterly 18, but come on... who cares! For me it doesn't distract from the plot one little bit, her age is soon forgotten - I'm not even sure a 15 year old could bring to the part what's actually needed? Racette did this wonderfully well.
A special mention too for Dwayne Cross, as Sharpless, who I have to say, is a man after my own heart!
I can only finish by saying this was much more than a pleasure to watch - especially in a very sharp HD. If I could give this performance twenty five stars, then I honestly would! I really don't think that `DVD' opera gets any better than this.
on 23 August 2015
A super production with excellent performances from the singers and orchestra. This was bought as a present for my wife who has always liked Madam Butterfly. I haven't been so keen, preferring many other operas, but after watching this I have changed my mind and this will be watched as often as all the others.
Other people have mentioned the use of a puppet to represent Cio-Cio-San's young son. As far as we were concerned this didn't intrude at all. Indeed, the puppet became the boy and far more expression and body language was obtained from the puppet than could be expected from a child actor. As an aside, if you can tear yourself away from the action, watch the faces of the puppeteers (on the few occasions when they are on view). They are totally involved.
Overall a really enjoyable DVD that I can thoroughly recommend.
on 12 June 2017
Wonderful ,loved this DVD +++++
on 30 May 2017
The best performance of Madam Butterfly that I have been privileged to see, excellent
on 24 June 2017
Good version
on 16 March 2017
My wife loved this DVD, Very good production.
on 26 May 2012
This is such a wonderful presentation of Madam Butterfly. Yes, the vocal performances and the acting are well above par and that would be worth buying the disc for that alone but a special mention must be made about the DESIGN of the production; the use of puppetry is incredibly original - not only that but the set design and the movement of the cast on and off stage warrants high praise. Highly recommended!
on 1 November 2015
gift
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2017
Excellent service. This is the first opera I have seen, and enjoyed the presentation of this tragic story.