Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 May 2011
Originally I was a little unsure if Heron's lush soul would be able to sit along side Jamie's techno beats and pretty little samples. However, I was proven wrong. Heron is given a new dynamic by XX's magic helping to create some of the most intense music I have heard all year. My only wonder is why hasn't this received more recognition?

Truly brilliant
on 15 May 2011
As of 15 May 2011, this album still has, rather unfairly I think, only 3 stars here on Amazon. This is not a 3-star album. It deserves 4 stars at least.

I think something has gone a bit wrong here - Perhaps this album should not have been released or marketed as 'Gil Scott Heron and Jamie xx'?

The problem is that loads of Gil Scott-Heron fans/snobs are mindlessly buying it and not 'getting' the dubstep/electronica bit, then reviewing it as 1 star. Unfortunately for them (but much to my pleasure), the dubstep/electronica bit really takes centre stage here. Don't get me wrong - I am not an 'XX' fan/snob! In fact, I think their first album was a bit over-rated. Thankfully, 'We're new here' only sounds like 'XX' on a couple of occasions (most notably in the last tune 'I'll take care of you').

I'm not entirely sure I would agree with people who say that this is some kind of ground-breaking, genre-defying masterpiece, but it's certainly a really good, compelling dubstep album which flows nicely. Chilled in some parts (like 'My Cloud'), then percussive and dance-y in others ('The Crutch' and 'NY is killing me'), with Scott-Heron's vocals lending themselves nicely to the story of the album as it unfolds.

My tastes in dubstep lean more towards deep/techy stuff like Scuba, Mount Kimbie and 2562, rather than in-your-face, basslines and MCs (ugh). So this album fits perfectly in my collection.

All in all, this album deserves a better score! Four stars? Actually, I think I'll give it five.
on 2 March 2011
Just so there is no confusion I would like to confirm that I know very little about jazz and soul music but I have developed a taste for some of the excellent musicians creating this work such a GSH. However, I am a huge fan of the xx and their work and I believe that this is another masterpiece. I would not advise anybody looking for another haunting soul album to buy this as it is not and as expected hardcore listeners of soul will and have slammed this album but I think they have misunderstood its intention.

The superb juxtaposition of overlaying the fresh electronic beats with the fantastic voice of GSH has created a new genre of its own and it is a revolution. The album starts with less input from jamie but as it progresses the beats become more noticeable and the whole album feels like a journey through time.

This is a fantastic and I believe successful, attempt at combining two different ages of music into one. The experience of yesterday and the youth of today.

If you are looking for pure soul, don't buy. If you are looking for pop music, don't buy. If you want to hear the most contemporary and superb piece of art of the year then you've come to the right place.
99 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2011
Think some reviews have missed the point here a little bit; it's not meant to sound like a new album from Gil Scott Heron or for that matter the xx. Instead it's a new sonic creation, some of which wouldn't sound out of place on the new Radiohead album. If you listen without preconceptions you might just agree with me that this is the best release of 2011 so far - truly modern sounding music not limited by genre.
33 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 July 2011
One of the Best albums i have bought of 2011!, Highly recommended! Loads of different styles are incorporated into the album yet very smartly, The album its self feaures Gil Scott Heron on the vocals and Jamie XX from the XX doing all the Instrumentation. BUY IT!
on 24 November 2015
Not quite what I expected. I was hoping for the music to be more low key and ambient, but uplifting, but found it too intrusive and hard. Relates poorly to the vocals I think. Not what I would have expected having got GSH's original album and the XX albums. Pity. But its not bad.
on 20 August 2015
Truly, this is a delight for the ears. Rich production with real thought, wonderful musicality and variation of instrumentation.

A beautiful record.
on 23 November 2011
This album is superbly crafted. These two artists seem to fit well together for some reason. The music and words have a beautiful, tender atmosphere that Jamie XX does not trample all over. For me, he adds to the original. You should own both.
on 15 December 2015
Great for fans of electronic music. Listened to The XX and Jamie XX In Colour so decided to give this a go. Amazing.
on 28 May 2011
I bought this album 3 months ago and am still listening now. I think the poor average comes from the disgruntled GSH fans who think it's a travesty. It is not. It is interesting music and an enjoyable listen. The beautiful, rich voice of GSH and quirky and sparky electronics hits the spot more often than not.

As for the negative comments about the image of Jamie xx posing in the same stance as GSH...well who'd have thought it, a potential pop star with an ego. At least that ego makes him take some risks. This risk is well worth a listen.

I am now off to buy the GSH original.