on 20 April 2013
I am afraid I don't have the correct taster's terminology to accurately describe just how good this rum is. However, I first tried this on a trip to the carribean some years ago and was pleasantly surprised at just how smooth (& sweet) a traditional spirit can be. I have since discovered, not surprisingly, that the Eldorado 12 y.o. has won the Gold medal at the Carribean Rum Taste Test (held in London) a mere 7 times. IMHO it is unsurpassed except by other El Dorado products, the 15 & 21 y.o. Which have won similar accolades.
I have tried this on some "Single Malt" experts and they were a delighted as I was!
Don't let the price put you off this really is nectar and worth every penny *****
on 20 May 2016
Bought this rum for my dad for his birthday. We both love it, it has a great flavour, very smooth. It's now his new favourite and has been added to his collection. His friends have all remarked on how great it is. The 12 year old rum is much better than the 15 year old one. Just a heads up!
on 7 January 2016
I have only been drinking rum for a couple of years but I can honestly say that of the 1/2 a dozen or so quality rums I have tried that El Dorado 12 year old is one of the smoothest rums I have tasted . Some rums seem to leave a sort of earthy or smoky taste in my mouth but this rum is superb .
on 6 August 2015
Truly delicious. Had some in the Carribean 10 years ago and have remembered ever since. When you tell people you can drink it neat with ice they don't believe you till they try it. Saw it yesterday in the Lithanian Duty Free and bought a bottle (26.90 euros!). Forgotten just how nice it was and didn't realise quite what a good price that was - wish I'd bought more. Still good value at £34 especially if you get free delivery.
on 5 January 2016
Awesome golden rum! I can't recommend this particular brand and aged-year highly enough. Perhaps I shouldn't be so positive so I can keep it all to myself? Really though, for the money it just doesn't get any better than this. It is as it states though a darker demarara, Caribbean in-style.
on 17 June 2016
Amazing sipping demerara rum for the true connoisseur. What this rum is lacking in character is well compensated by it's nose and mellow and soft mouth. Perhaps the best pick of the El Dorado series on the price / quality combo. Will be certainly buying it again. Thank you.
on 15 November 2015
I have had some friends around and tasted both this (£30) and Ron Zacapa Centenario XO Solar Gran Reserva (£90), and everyone agreed that the El Dorado was a far better tasting rum with much more complex flavours despite being 1/3 of the cost of the Ron Zacapa! It is a bit on the sweet side with hints of toffee, vanilla, tobacco and a little wood. It is a truly wonderful rum and I would highly recommend it. Just please do not use it as a mixer, it is far too nice to be wasted in that role!
on 19 July 2016
Nice enough drink, but not worth the money in my view. There are better rums at this price. I much prefer Flor De Cana 7 year old, which is far superior to this. I was expecting better from El D if I'm honest. Probably won't buy again!
on 18 July 2016
When you first pop the cork you are greeted by sweet, fruity/spicy tones and perhaps floral notes?! There is something there that I can't quite describe.

In the glass, it isn't quite as dark as it's older brother and is lighter than in the bottle. .

Tasting: Again sweet, fruit and Oak (but not as prominent as you would expect from a 12 year old)... you can tell they are ex bourbon casks used to age. This, for me, is a sipping rum and a very good one at that. Though some may find it a touch sweet (those who hate additives in Rum).

This is robust enough to mix though why would you?! If you do, try not to drown it with sugary liquids as I have mentioned this is sweet already.
on 22 March 2016
As a Rum enthusiast I always have a bottle of El Dorado 12 in my collection. Excellent value for money and still can't make up my mind if I prefer more the El Dorado 12 or the Diplomatico Exclusiva Reserva