Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 October 2011
A real good album by former jakes. heard of this band as one of the bands members mother is a friend of my sister. Watched them ob jools holland then u tube so bought cd. I was not dissapointed. The quality of songs and catchiness of tunes is very good and had me singing along after a few plays. Would recommend this cd to all that aren't into westlife or rap but like quality songs played in a kindof fleet foxes sound. maybe !Young the Giant
on 6 May 2011
A great album fresh and new "my body", "Strings" and "Cough syrup" are my favorite tracks, though the whole album is well worth many listens. A perfect summer album.
on 6 May 2011
I first saw the band support Marina & The Diamonds in New York last year and they blew me away. It's been a long eight months waiting for the album but it's finally here and it doesn't disappoint. Every track on the album is a belter, I'd definitely advise picking up the Special Edition, the reprise of "Strings" alone is worth the little extra.

It's one of those rare albums that you can listen to all the way through and enjoy every track, special highlights are "12 Fingers", "Your Side" and "Guns Out" as well "My Body" and "Apartment" obviously!

Now touring in the UK to promote the album, catch them live if you can. Roll on Sunday night in Glasgow, can't wait to see them live again!

Buy this album!
on 7 May 2011
Ever since buying this album I haven't stopped listening to it. It's full of really lovely, upbeat, summery tracks. It will definitely be my most listened to summer album this year. Love it.
on 16 December 2012
I bought this album 12 months ago because it was on the 'recommended' stand in my local HMV store (sorry Amazon). The first time I played it I thought it was nice enough, but nothing special, certainly I wondered why it had been given the 'recommended' billing.
However I'm playing it today and realise I've played it almost a dozen times this year - considering I have about 1500 albums to enjoy - that number of outings is quite unusual. So it's got something that makes me want to check it out again and again.
I've read some very critical reviews that seem to think that this is 4th-tier derivative alt-rock that's ripped off the soundscape from Coldplay and U2. Well I love U2, but I can't get on with Coldplay at all, although I seem to like a number of artists that would have had done as well as they'd done had Coldplay not led the way (Kings of Leon and Alex Cornish spring to mind).
So distinctive vocalist, lovely subtle poly-rhythmic drumming, nice lilting melodies, great harmonies, crescendos in all right places, and great bass guitar playing - doing far more than just keeping time. I like a band where everyone plays like musicians.
So yes there are a couple of weaker tracks towards the end, but overall this is hugely enjoyable.
on 6 May 2011
I work in a retail store and our music is normally from some of the smaller bands and I kept hearing one of the songs by YTG and so i went home to try and find their songs on the internet. no word of a lie, i brought it around 3 weeks ago, and i haven't gone one day without listening to it. my favourite songs are 'I Got' 'My Body' 'Cough Syrup and 'God made man.' I have introduced the band to all my friends and they love it too. this album will not disappoint. i can't even put into words how much i love this album and the band and can't wait to go and see them on tour. i can't believe i didn't hear about them sooner. it's a beautiful summer album. a definite recommend to people who love music!!
on 20 October 2011
I bought this on the back of some decent reviews in the press and comparisons to Coldplay and James. I'm not sure those comparisons really hold up, but there is a track that sounds a bit like 'Sit Down' by James. The opening track is certainly the best one, and the first half of the album is not bad. It seems to dirft off a little after that and I'd say the sound takes me back to the late 90s/eary 2000s indie guitar bands. I like it but it isn't completly standout. Apartment is a cracking track though, and there are a few other very good songs on this.
on 8 August 2011
I adore this album! Each track feels like it's had care taken over it, no fillers or duff tracks. All round, a really good album.
on 9 May 2014
Young the Giant are a great band. This album was recommended to me. Thank you. At least half the album is really great. From My Body, through I Got and Cough Syrup all the way to Guns Out, it is a superb album. If you like pop/rock buy it.
on 8 May 2011
Saw them on Later with Jools Holland performing 'Apartment' and just had to check out their album. Downloaded it straight away. Brilliant! I can't think of one track I don't like.