Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.73

on 2 April 2012
This is a superb book. Johnny Beerling is a likeable narrator and he has some wonderful stories to tell. Anyone who's interested in Radio 1 and its history should buy this book - it's a super read and very informative.

However - it is littered with spelling mistakes, bad grammar and missing punctuation. Font sizes change from chapter to chapter. When he quotes someone else the quote is greyed out and difficult to read. Basically - it should have been proof-read.

It's a real shame just how much the lack of a proof reader lets this book down.

He regularly makes silly mistakes like saying 'loose' when it should be 'lose', or 'worse' when it should be 'worst'. I'm sure some of them are just typos, like when he says 'ever' instead of 'every'. Stuff that wouldn't have shown up in a spell-check, but is still plain wrong, and would have been caught if it had just been checked. There are also missing apostrophes and full-stops everywhere.

The most annoying error of all is the fact that he uses an apostrophe in DJs when he doesn't need one. As you can imagine in a book about Radio 1, this is an error that shows up on practically every page - and will drive you up the wall.

Otherwise, fantastic book.
on 22 August 2015
I must admit that I am a radio nut. I like almost anything about the medium and especially its history. I was so looking forward to reading this on my Kindle. The book itself was god. Johnny told the story of radio 1, and his association with it really well. However what really let this kindle version down badly were the numerous typographical errors, spelling, spacing punctuation and so forth. Also the random change of font size really got me annoyed.

The other thing that hacked me off seriously was the way that some passages where he was quoting other people or documents were in a much lighter grey font and proved difficult for me to read as a visually impaired person. I did manage it, but, it was far from a pleasurable experience.

I know nothing of how print books are converted into Kindle books. What I do know is that there needs to be much tighter and a higher standard of quality control to ensure that where ever possible the kindle book resembles the print edition.

Sadly, what should have been an interesting and enjoyable read was seriously let down by the transfer to Kindle.
VINE VOICEon 28 August 2013
Johnny Beerling's account of his life in Radio 1 is interesting and insightful but it's spoiled by some bad editing and numerous factual errors and typos (ie) Jimmy Hendrix, The Monkeys, spelling someone's name differently in the same para. There is a particularly lazy section on song pluggers where it looks like he emailed a few of his old song plugger buddies and asked them to email their recollections. That's ok, but no attempt has been made to edit or correct the errors in their submissions so that chapter is very disjointed and clear written by other people.

It's a shame really, because Beerling was part of some important events in broadcasting history and had the book been given a once over by an editor or even a sub editor, the book would have been a lot better.

That said, getting an insider's view of the birth of Radio 1 and the Radio 1 Roadshows and all the pitfalls he encountered then this book is well worth investing a bit of time with.
on 14 February 2014
This could have been a very worthwhile book if it had been about half the length. It is full of incorrect spelling, poor grammar and tedious detail. I am sure a competent editor could have improved it no end. In the event I gave up reading it - it was just too hard going.
on 22 September 2013
As I am a music nut and a good deal of my era was covered, it was an enjoyable read. Johnny was even better on the Black Watch when we were in the Indian Ocean with some ammusing presentations Brian Haines
on 23 March 2013
Fantastic biography for people who love their radio and the presenter's that work on it. I recommend this book to anyone who loves music.