on 1 March 2013
Having just received these trousers, this is only an initial review.

I bought them for golfing and have tried them on over my usual golfwear. Although the trousers aren't lined, the fabric (described on the manufacturers website as AB-TEX tri-laminate) is not lightweight. They are fairly substantial weighing in at 400 grams (large size) compared to lightweight over-trousers which typically vary anywhere from 130 - 300 grams.

Playing in near zero degree temperatures lately (February), I usually wear long johns under my golf trousers, but I can imagine these being a bit too warm and cumbersome if I had to put them on as over-trousers half-way through a round. I would be more inclined to think about wearing these from the start with one less layer, but they would really need to live up to their breathable claim otherwise.

The fabric is slightly textured on the inside and will create a bit of friction against any layers worn underneath. This is fine for walking, but might not be so comfortable for running or cycling.

They have a decent 12" leg zip so you can get them on whilst wearing golf shoes, but if your shoes are muddy the mud will get on the inside, which in turn will get on your trousers underneath. Not so good for wearing over your work trousers for that cheeky afternoon round. This is true to some extent for most over-trousers, but many are less textured/smoother on the inside and mud is less likely to stick to the fabric.

The main reasons I bought these particular trousers were price and breathability. At £21 they are great value especially if they are as breathable as claimed. My old motorbike over-trousers were soaking inside with sweat/condensation after 18 holes in near zero temperatures.

The trousers are a good fit and not too baggy. A zip opening waistband would make them easier to get on in a hurry with shoes on and a back pocket (or two) would be a great addition. Otherwise, these are very good quality and I'm quite pleased with them on first impressions. I will update this review once I have tested them fully.

These trousers sit in between 2 others I was considering; Regatta Packaway II OverTrousers at £13 and Berghaus Deluge Waterproof Overtrousers at £40. The Regatta trousers don't fit over shoes very easily and the Berghaus trousers are twice the price, although they do seem like great trousers.

Dimensions for large size:
Waist: 14 - 21 inches
Inside leg seam: 30 inches
Outside leg seam inc waist band: 42 inches
Ankle hem: 9 inches
on 4 February 2018
I spend most of my life outdoors. I have horses, a dog and I work as a gardener. I am very impressed with these trousers. I am a size 10 height 5,6 and wanted the trousers to fit over jeans and boots and to be able to withstand all weathers. I ordered a size small. They fit perfectly. So far they have been tested in heavy rain, gardening in mud, walking through very long wet grass and power washing vans. They are completely waterproof and very comfortable. The side pockets have quality zips which zip easily and smoothly. I have worn these trousers for up to 5 hours at a time and have remained completely dry with no leaking or condensation. I recommend these trousers highly.
on 15 October 2014
I bought these for cycling in to work now that the weather has turned. I've used them for travelling through everything from light drizzle to English monsoon and i'm always bone dry underneath. I think the only thing drier would be a dry-suit for deep sea diving. The trousers and thick and durable, I have no worries about them breaking anytime soon. The way they are put together and the quality is excellent. The pockets, fasteners and straps feel well designed (as could be) and the item has an air of quality about it.

My only gripe is that they aren't as breathable as the description would have you believe. Don't get me wrong - its not like wearing clingfilm - but don't expect them to be cool and light. For me cycling its a bit of a pain, but i'm not willing to pay more than £20-odd for a pair of overtrousers so I put up with it.

These get 5 stars because they are excellent at this price point. 10/10 waterproofing, 10/10 durability, 3/10 breathability, 10/10 price.
on 26 September 2016
These are great worn on their own (not as over-trousers). Ive been out in some pretty terential rain and havent been wet yet. Pockets are a big bonus and they are also waterproof. The drawcord waist adjustment lets these trousers down. Simple beltloops would have been much easier and reliable. Im the kind of person that "runs hot" and even though i dont sweat that much, i give off heat. This normaly results in moisture build-up, but im happy to report that the Tempest Waterproof Trousers are highly breathable (although this kind if thing is very subjective). Buy a size bigger than you need.
on 8 May 2014
Does exactly what it says it does.The quality of the fabric is amazing.Very thick,well made and very waterproof.I bought this for my daughter for a school water holiday,it stood up to the rigours of outdoors easily.It's on the big size,but i had to buy a small adults,as i couldnt see anything of this quality on any other pages.If i had anything negative to say,it would be that it doesn't exactly match the jacket (which i also bought) but who cares.i didn't buy it for that.Fully recommend to anyone.
on 10 December 2017
These seem well made and are comfy but the fit is small. Stretched out the waist band of an XXL pair is only 42 inches, which isn't my idea of xxl.
on 26 February 2015
For the money these are an absolute bargain. I don't know how they'd fare up in the mountains with the rain pouring all day, but I've just got back from 2 hours walking my dogs in heavy rain in my local fields and woods and I've come back completely dry. Material is pretty heavy duty, but not to the degree that you notice when you are wearing them. Zips at the bottoms look pretty tough too. Recommended.
on 23 January 2015
Bought these for my fishing. I have had a few top fishing branded sets of clothing over the years and not only do you pay over the odds they also never stay waterproof for very long. These might not have the fashionable look of much of the fishing clothing available out there but they are superb. They fit well and I have been out in a couple of big downpours and they have kept me totally dry. If I get a couple of years out of them at the price I will be more than happy.
on 13 February 2014
In normal trousers, I am a short leg with a 33 inch waist and these trousers (medium) fit me perfectly, with just enough overhang to keep water out of the top of my shoes (wind permitting!). They have been used everyday since purchased for dog walking and have seen plenty of wind and rain. They have kept me very dry and are comfortable to wear. The two zip pockets are a bonus.
on 28 December 2015
Well priced and well made overtrousers. Comfortable cut, solid zips at lower leg to assist wearing over boots. Pockets at hips with zipped access for security. As good as many products twice the price.