on 11 March 2012
Being an Athiest I find I have to know the bible better than friends who are believers. Whatever your calling this gives a totally fresh insite into the Bible and I think it wouldn't be a bad idea if it was used in schools. For what it cost get it and read with an open mind and you will quite suprised at what you discover. In fact if I was filthy rich I would send a copy to everyone.
44 Comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2017
This book gives a really brief overview of each book in the Protestant Bible… The average length devoted to each book is about a page which is broken down into the following sections:

Author
Date
In 10 Words or Less
Details Please
Quotable
Unique and Unusual

The books that are missing summaries which are a part of the Catholic Bible are as follows:

Tobit
Judith
Baruch
Wisdom
Sirach
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees

Protestants list these 7 books as being hidden/uncertain books of the Bible and refer to them as the Apocrypha.

This book is very handy to have at your fingertips if you just want to quickly get an extremely brief overview of what a specific book in the Bible is about… It's just like reading the back cover of any book which basically basically gives you a brief rundown of what the book is about… It's a shame that they didn't cover those other 7 books as well though & there is no indication on the front cover alerting others to the fact that it only deals with the Protestant Bible books.
on 6 November 2012
I needed something to organize the Bible in my brain and this was it.

My plan nearly three years ago was to read the entire Bible; not because I'm religious and not because I'm not. I'd lost my second parent and I needed answers so the Bible seemed the place to begin as I was raised as a Methodist.

I started the 'Authorized King James Version' but found it difficult to the point that I nearly abandoned the idea. I switched to Kenneth Taylor's paraphrase 'The Living Bible' which many may frown upon but I could at least understand the English. I read a small part each day sequentially. Still, I found it heavy going and got so completely bogged down in Jeremiah that I nearly gave up again; all that I had read before was becoming a haze.

Then along came this book. I bought it in July for a pittance. It is worth so much more. It gives structure and identity to an otherwise convoluted timeless set of, at times repetitive and rambling, scripts and provides exactly those bits of information to jog my memory of past readings.

I haven't found those answers (yet) but this book has helped me to look for them. It is indeed a godsend.
on 20 March 2017
In reality, how many people have read the bible. Not just segments, but the whole thing. Very few I imagine. This book gives a superb introduction into it, in very very short chapters. I may appear flippant to some, but it isn't. It is definitely worth it, particularly for anyone who has thought of reading the whole thing, but in the real world will never get round to it. Highly recommended.
on 22 March 2017
I expected more detail ,the explanations of the Bible chapters are somewhat brief.
I'm really not that impressed with this book.
very good
on 14 May 2016
Fast delivery. Happy with purchase.
on 18 November 2014
An excellent book for students of Religion, especially Judaism.
on 5 May 2013
Gives a basic overview of all 66 books of the bible, Author, date written and general themes. Very handy to introduce bible studies at home groups etc.
on 19 May 2017
Very useful to accompany daily Bible reading guidelines