on 9 July 2011
A useful little book if you know nothing about the Bible. In my case I was looking for a supplement to my own attemps to create a less formulaic approach but slightly fuller intro. So no criticisms really, but of limited use for me.
on 27 February 2013
This puts forward 'explanations' with no real scholarly basis. It is more of a personal opinion by someone who believes that the books of the bible are written by the perso.n named and does not have any reference to important oral tradition and how the written version came into being.
I believe if you want these sort of 'explanations' you would be better off going to talk to your minister, Priest or Rabbi for a more educated explanation. I have deleted my copy already.
very disappointed.
on 12 February 2015
For someone who is new to reading the bible the brief synopsis of each book prepares one for understanding the text better. The quotes are also good and can help crystallize pertinent sections of the content. I'm not too sure about the the 'So What'. Nothing controversial here but I like to make my own mind up and disagree with some of the interpretations. Overall, an interesting and relaxing way to approach the content and fairly even and unbiased in its interpretation. I'd. certainly recommend this as a study aid for anyone who is interested.
on 17 July 2016
This book covers all 66 books in the bible, taking quotations from it, giving background material which you might not know (e.g. when it was wrote and who wrote it) which can be unclear in the actual bible. At the price, you can't go far wrong. 5 stars
on 26 March 2016
Good value. Easy to follow. Helpful guide for those wishing to familiarise themselves with the bible. Explains each bible chapter. Useful when reading the bible. However this is written from the author(s) viewpoint. This is not for someone who does not read the bible.
on 8 July 2014
I have read many books that per port to give understanding of scripture but they all carry heavy personal interpretations. This book is unique in that it feels like revelation and really does aid understanding without any hidden undertone. It does not matter how long you have been a believer this is a must read.
on 19 June 2014
I bought this for a member of our church who expressed difficulties finding her way about the Bible and she likes it very much. It only gives a very brief run down but that's what it says it does and it does it very well.
on 4 March 2016
This is a useful summary of all sixty six Bible books,including what the book is about,unusual facts and key quotes. These are bite size bits of knowledge only, and by no means a substitute for reading the sacred scriptures themselves. The reader will not get to know his Bible,as the title suggests.Nevertheless it is all useful information.
on 8 March 2013
I purchased this book as I felt it was useful both as an educational read and a ready reference for Sermons and articles written. I was not disappointed, I was over the moon, the 66 books are explained in short but detailed enough for any information one is seeking about the subject matter. I would certainly recommend this book to all.
on 11 January 2013
Good book. I felt there was more information in the first 60% than the later books covered but then it is most likely because those books are smaller and letters rather than stories ... but I would have liked to see more application to then and now than was given for those smaller/letter books. Overall, I shall most likely read it through a few times. Worth buying.