Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon 5 August 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think this is a good book to come out at the moment, given the obsession with Twilight. I took this book on light-heartedly as it is basically a cross between "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole", and a pimply teenage vampire (who happens to be around 100 years old).

There are some good chuckles to be had, with plenty of jabs toward the vampire culture, and us humans in general. It's an interesting concept, the idea of a hormonal teen stuck in the position he is in, a bit like ground-hog day, but for much, much longer.

So whilst it wasn't a bad read, the problem I have with the concept is the fact that he appears not to be able to learn. Although he is around 100 years old, he still struggles in tests. He still writes like he wrote when he was 15 years old. I know that a book about a teenage vampire requires a modicum of ones suspense of belief, but the more that I read the more the "teenage" writing annoyed me, because it was from a century-old being. Either the brain stops developing when we get "turned", or it does not. Given that he has a passion for the piano and excels at it (his parents do not want him to pursue his talents in case attention is drawn to them), this provides evidence that the author acknowledges a vampire can learn.

I guess this one is just not that very good at it.

In summarising, I believe the author missed a good opportunity here. Much more fun would have been a 100-year old male, trapped in the body of a 15 year old. It would have been more challenging to write, and more-so to read. However, this book fell way short of this concept.
VINE VOICEon 10 July 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book emphasises very much how starkly it contrasts to many of the vampire stories published nowadays, such as Twilight. It sounded like it had potential. Unfortunately though, the narrator of the diary surpasses Bella Swan with his angst and his complaining. For some reason, he alone out of all vampires failed to gain vampire powers when he was turned, resulting in never-ending bemoaning about how awful his life is. I'm nineteen and not really the age this book is being marketed for, but things must've changed a lot since I was younger if what children love to read about nowadays is uninteresting misfits who have terrible acne and hate gym.

Some of the illustrations are mildly amusing, but overall the book is repetitive and drab. There are much funnier diary comedies out there. I suggest the earlier Adrian Mole books, and Louis Rennison's Georgia Nicholson series.
on 7 December 2010
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Twilight meets Adrian Mole. Not loving it. I appreciate this was written for children, but I fail to see the gripping edge to it. It is simply boring! Didn't love any of the characters, didn't really want them to continue to appear in the book and had to really struggle to finish it in all honesty.