Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 20 November 2016
One of my all time favourite films. It screams 70's at me, but in the best possible way. It reminds me of my teens. Very often this genre of film seems (to me) to be so laboured that it is hard to watch the acting but I found it easy to immerse myself. Highly recommended, but probably to quite a small audience! It is one of very few films that I have walked out of in the cinema, but only because the person I went to see it with got up and said quite loudly "I'm not watching this s**t." I really didn't agree but felt obliged to follow her out. I'd seen it before - and watched it again late. I've loved it every time.
on 20 February 2012
Watching The Valley 40+ years later is an interesting experience. What was then an event one understood only by the guts at the age of 16+ becomes an understanding of life and the quest to understand it in full. I recommend this film for viewers of all ages.
VINE VOICEon 18 February 2011
At last a good quality DVD release of this cult classic film, cult because of the soundtrack by Pink Floyd, the album the preceded Dark Side of the Moon, and recorded in a two week break from recording 'Dark side of the moon' (also available on Amazon).
However I would caution like the film More (available on Amazon and issued a few years back by the BFI) the music is not as prominent as it could be (You probably hear more in the film trailer than the film itsself),The music is often buried very deep in the background.

To the film, we have an excellent transfer of the film, from the original film stock, nicely cleaned up and looking very good on my TV. (I should add that I don't have a Blu Ray player so I am reviewing the DVD and not the Blu Ray) The sound is excellent though it is Mono, and a lot of the spoken word is French (so subtitles are an option). The film itself is slowly paced, and almost has the style of a travelogue, but give it the time and you will feel quite well rewarded in the end, though it is a film of its time, (so dont expect any car chases or explosions). Do expect dream sequences and a number of seemingly strange edits.

Extras are good as well, with an alternative take of the end of the film, approximately 15 minutes of contemporary documentaries, theatrical trailers for 3 Barbet Schroder films, and a large accompanying booklet.
You could also consider this as a bonus disc pack either a DVD with Bonus Blu ray disc or a Bly Ray disc with a Bonus DVD. Either way a great package and good value.
Don't ignore the package because you don't have a Blu ray player Embrace the Blu ray as it will allow for an upgrade later.
33 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 March 2011
For those familiar with Papua New Guinea in the 1970's and before, The Valley will evoke
memories of different "lost valleys". The Blu-Ray rendition is brilliant. It captures the people,the setting, the country with detail and colour, not in the DVD or Video. The brooding Pink Floyd themes are there, but overall the sound is that of the scene. Whilst the alternative storyline could lose some viewers,the film is much more, with great brief portraits of the range of influences and motives at play at the time, quests for different valleys.
The quest for the ephemeral beauty of rare protected plumage and and eternal paradise is not a deep dialogue. It does carry the rejoinder we remain tourists engaging with the various cultures through our own transactions and perspectives, never fully engaged. In this context, the film has a respectful engagement with some beautiful ethnographic footage(presented without deep explanation), exchanges and ironies, perhaps meaning to the abrupt ending.
The Valley is a good film, some engaging portraits, worth the journey, if obscured by cloud.
Four stars for me, but possibly only three for those not who cannot engage in the trip.
on 19 August 2014
In my eyes, shroeder is one of the great 60s/70s directors, so snap up anything from this era, a mysterious, interesting travelogue.
on 2 November 2011
I first saw this at the Harrow Granada in 1975 and I have been trying to get a copy since videos DVD etc have been available, so finally I got the chance to see it again. did it live up to expectations, well not exactly as it is far slower pace than I remember and perhaps the whole ethos behind the film now seems a bit naive. The biggest disapointment is the end view of the valley this in understated or was I expecting too much. If you are a PF fan it's still a must and the music is used to good affects in parts although there is a bit too much of the music coming over the radio and there are some awful abrupt cuts.

On the whole I am glad I saw it after all this time and I will probably watch it again in the future. I would note that the literature with the DVD is good and the extra sections are also worth watching
on 12 November 2015
Wish I had stayed curious about this film a huge disappointment, already taken to the charity shop.
on 10 January 2016
A film for Hippies, thinkers and free lovers. Very early 70's!
on 12 May 2013
I ordered two of these films , one for my sister & one for myself . Mine is fine but the one my sister ended up with shows the copyright at the beginning & the actual film doesn't start immediately . she has to fast forward for quite a bit , plus on & off throughout the film the subtitles are missing making it difficult to understand what is going on .
Mine has the subtitles all the way through the film .
She has now got to go to the trouble of returning the film at her own expense & drop it at a shop that is miles from where she lives plus she doesn't drive .
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 May 2016
The item is very good.
the sound and the pictures is good.