on 14 March 2011
I would recommend this for your child, once they can sit unaided.
It's a really great toy and my 8 month old daughters' favourite.
VINE VOICEon 25 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Munchkin Mozart cube seems like a great idea as a baby/young toddler toy at first glance. It's brightly coloured, has buttons/sides to push, and plays music. That ticks three child friendly boxes just to start with, but unfortunately after that the novelty starts to fade.

The cube is quite large and cumbersome - more suited to an adult's hands than a small child's - in fact, I think a small child would struggle to pick this up. It's too heavy and too awkward, with no projecting parts that can be easily grabbed by small fingers. That brings in a second problem - the cube is mostly made of plastic. Although the corners have a rubberised feel, if this was dropped on a table or a hard surface, particularly the edge of a table, it seems like it could easily be damaged (I admit I haven't tested it, but only because I don't want to damage the cube, and I don't have enough faith that it would survive intact!).

On the plus side, the music it plays is distinctive, and makes a change from the tinny sounding noises most musical toys make. The idea of allowing the child to add instruments to the mix one by one is a good one, and the range of tunes it plays is good too. The instruments are probably midi based, rather than original, but it's the very digital nature of midi that makes this product possible, so that you can add and remove instruments without distorting the overall sound. I did think they were distinctive enough to enable a child to learn to identify the instrument - which is probably the main thing after all.

On balance then, an innovative toy somewhat let down by problems with the way the physical product has been designed. An updated version of this toy could really improve it. It's probably best used when your child is in a soft furnished environment (perhaps a play area?) where it's not likely to get damaged, or when your child is capable of turning it, and pressing buttons, but not actually picking it up and throwing it. Either that or you need to supervise the child using it fairly closely!
on 15 May 2013
one of the best toys i ever bought. I bought this for my sons first christmas when he was 5 months old, and he still likes it now at nearly 3 years old
on 17 November 2013
Great toy for our 10 yr old disabled wee one, often musical toys have baby music but this is really good, the music, lights and interaction ( though suitable for young child) are much more appropriate than most for a older disabled child. one of the best musical toys I've purchased.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Oh wow!!! This is brilliant.

OK Tech stuff first: It's a cube, you know 6 sided - each side represents an instrument except for the base, which represents an orchestra. Press a button and it plays a Mozart tune, pressing the various instrument buttons starts or stops that particular instrument and the base plays the entire orchestra (or changes the tune). Whilst it doesn't have a volume control, it's a reasonably soft sound and it does have an on/off switch. The corners of the cube are well rounded and covered with a soft protective shield so the toy is quite safe. The batteries are standard AA batteries (not those awful button ones) and they are held in an screwed compartment so the child cannot gain access.

PLAY: it's just great - a very simple idea that really works well. This was obtained for my Great-Grandson and he loves it in 2 ways depending on his mood: good mood, he sits there and turns on/off the various instruments; bad mood, he knocks it around the floor and simply laughs if it hits something and changes instrument or piece of music.

Would I recommend this - definite and resounding YES
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 30 January 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At first sight the picture Muchkin Mozart cube looks very tactile, but up close sadly it is a bit harder than you'd think. Not sure it will take a lot of abuse but so far it has taken a beating from visiting kids.

Building up the pieces by pressing the sides works well, don't expect perfect copies of instruments and you'll enjoy the sound, if you are expecting full orchestral renditions you'll be disappointed.

As has been said they is no volume control so the cube can be very loud in quiet rooms, but it's ok when you get used to it.

All in all, toddlers who have picked this up have been enthralled buy it, and stayed occupied for quite a while, but it does get grating for adults after a while (which is true of similar items!).

Definitely one to consider.
VINE VOICEon 26 April 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this for my 1 year old, but I think this would be an ideal toy for as soon as a baby can sit up. It is very easy for them to use, just by pressing the sides. It seems engaging for my baby to play with and I also found it quite fun myself! I'm not sure if all the songs are actually Mozart because it includes twinkle twinkle little star (which I was happy with as my son loves that) so I think the name of the toy is just Mozart related but it is not all Mozart music.
It is a really nice looking toy, very bright and colourful, and has a very padded and chunky look to it, so ideal for young children to handle. It would make a nice gift for a baby or if looking for some new toys to keep your little one entertained then definitely worth having.
VINE VOICEon 15 March 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is quite a robust & weighty item. Very rugged with soft corners to help prevent knocks.
This toy is designed to play classical "type" music as each key is pressed, slowly becoming some sort of classical orchestra.. or so I tought. In fact, each instrument sounds very poor; barely identifiable as the instrument shown. Eventually, as the keys are pressed, all you get is some sort of noise.

This isnt the worst sort of musical toy I have; many others are more annoyingly noisy and not as well built. However, this just doesn't stand out. The supplied batteries lasted a few weeks then the toy stopped working. It has been consigned to the great toy-box in the loft

Not bad but not good either
on 29 April 2012
I love this cube and my daughter couldn't live without it. We borrowed it from a friend and we ended up buying it 'cause she plays with it all the time. I wish there were more cubes with other composers beside Mozart!
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I thought that this was a very clever concept but my admiration grew even more when I had time to play with it on my own.

First of all it has 8 clips in memory. Pressing orchestra option on one side of the cube allows you to hear the full ensemble. Pressing the same option allows you to cycle through the clips. I am not versed enough with Mozart to recognise them and it would be lovely if either instructions or product details here could identify the clips.

Somebody had the flash of inspiration to record the individual instruments separately for each piece and allowing you to select the option (by pressing the side of the cube). There are options for solos from the piano, violin, french horn, harp and flute. Different colours for each sides as well as chosen sides lighting up in time to the beat made it attractive to my two year old who could not keep her hands of it at receipt.

The genius is allowing the operator to press other sides to add pieces to the music. The additions come in on time for the music, so there is no discordance. It allows the operator to experiment and hear harmonies of their own making.

Now for the bad points:

1) there is no volume control. The sound blasting from it took me by surprise and woke baby.
2) there is a recording static feel to the piano and french Horn.
3) this is plasticky rather than rubbery so I can't see this standing drops from height, or forceful throws, too well
4) there is no way the product is for a child from 0+

This could have been a great product. Execution lets it down and reduces its appeal and suitability. I would say its ok from the ages of sitting to standing and then when kids understand the concept. If you have a child who can understand that pressing buttons rather than throwing activates the fun... then this is great for their musical ear and you already have a brilliant kid!