Platform: PlayStation3|Edition: A Realm Reborn|Change

on 27 December 2014
A really great game in the MMORPG genre. I wouldn't say I am the msst experienced MMO player in the world, but I havw played my fair share of them and this would have to be my favourite one at the time of writing this.
I bought the PS3 version at release as I've always been a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series. I have also played the PC and PS4 versions of this game however.
Final Fantasy 14 has many great features. As is to be expected with a Final Fantasy game, you really get immersed in the rich world and story with fantastic lore and interesting characters. The user interface can be modified to suit your play style, which is a must for MMOs. One of the great things Square Enix have done with this game is the controls for the console versions. It may take some getting used to, as it is quite novel, but once you've had some practice with it you will realise how intuitive and well designed it is.
As I said, I played it on a few different platforms, the PS3 version is wlll worth it if you're considering it over the PC version and prefer console gaming. The only drawbacks to the PS3 version is that the graphics are inferior compared to the potential on the PC and that you may not have a keyboard on the PS3 for chatting (highly recommend it).
The PS4 version however has significantly better graphical performance comared to the PS3 version, and also has the addition of the touchpad on the new dualshock controller.
Overall it is a great game if you're a fan of either MMOs, RPGs or the Final Fantasy series!
on 3 June 2015
Pay to play game. Personally I didn't like this instalment of final fantasy and I'm a big fan I have nearly every final fantasy going. The whole subscription thing really was bad that almost put me off at first. It took a long time to sort out the subscription and is quite a complicated process to sign up for. I just didn't get into the story when I finally started playing it.
on 5 March 2016
Very fast delivery with no problems. The game worked perfectly and comes with the 1 month free gameplay trial (as long as you don't already have a square enix account where you have already used it) after the trial is used, you will however have to pay to play monthly. Amazing game and definitely worth the purchase if you don't mind paying a small amount each month, perfect for hard-core gamers.
on 5 October 2015
Bought this as a gift for a friend's husband as an alternative to the ultra-violent war-based games he usually plays after getting the game for myself and loving it. I've never played the PlayStation version (any PlayStation), but 7 months later he's still subscribed and active, so I'd say he likes it.
on 28 January 2014
I didnt know that if it is second hand you had to purchase a new code as the one with the second hand game would not work. So it is my fault so I cannot fault the item or the seller. Zoverstocks were very quick with the delivery and accepting my returns, great customer service.
on 17 February 2015
After downloading the game, installing it, downloading the patch and registering with Enix I was 9 hours into my weekend. After that I had dry eyes staring at the screen reading what the characters should have had voice actors for.

There is plenty of stuff to wade through to learn how to do a few pointless tasks but when you want to interacting with others or attacking/defending or even what to to do!! Its up to you to figure it all out with your little PS3 controller. This format suits PC game play so I really hope by about 19 hours I will come back and give this a big 5 starts, but I don't know if my patience will last that long.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 September 2013
As per the title, I'm new to this type of online game. I am enjoying every second I'm playing it, much improved over the beta test. They have had issues with server capacity and maintenance but I'd expect that on a game which is purely online and so popular. Still in the free 30 day period and can quite honestly say I'm more than willing to pay the monthly subscription which last time I checked is just over a fiver! Hours of fun and quests await!
on 17 February 2014
If you are an MMO fan, you may perhaps like this game.

Personally, I came into this not as an MMO fan, but as a long time FF fan. I hoped for some kind of magical online world where I could meet other FF fans, play around and have fun, and battle in typical FF style against epic monsters...

Unfortunately, this is a very generic MMO albeit with a Final Fantasy theme. The battle mechanics are standard MMO fair - point and spam attacks. The intricate strategy, of the single player FF battles is completely absent.

The first perhaps twenty or more hours of this game (I stuck with it a long time, really hoping to like it) are a total grindfest. Literally, fetch quest after fetch quest. Go here, kill 5 of those creatures. Go there, pick up 5 of those items. It's like a parody of the worst parts of MMOs. The story itself is a giant step backwards for Final Fantasy, and in no way matches single player FF games. It's told mostly through text, and sub par cutscenes, and split up with large amounts of grind.

This game also doesn't seem at all set up to encourage cooperative gameplay. In the main worlds, most players are running around by themselves at high speed completing the fetch quests as fast as they can - not much stopping to chat or have fun. The few times people come together are for these temporary challenges (I forget the actual name) which appear randomly and last a few minutes - people suddenly appear from all over, spam some monsters for a few minutes to gain experience points, and then everyone goes their which way as fast as they came.

For the majority of game quests, there is zero incentive to play cooperatively. Maybe if you already have some group of friends who also play this game you'll have more fun...

After struggling through the first 20 hours of gameplay you start gaining access to "dungeons", where players are put together in 4 person groups to complete some little map and challenge. This has slightly more merit, but still... Few people hang around after completing the challenge (and the game seems to encourage you exiting the dungeon as quick as possible, presumably to regain server resources). These dungeons are still also pretty few and far between, and require a lot of grind to gain access to new ones. And as said before, the battle mechanics are for the most part just generic MMO spamming and pretty boring.

Seriously, I've experienced more socialising - and people chilling out, messing about, and having *fun* - when playing multiplayer Quake 3 back in the day. This isn't fun, this is a bland and hopeless, yet slightly addictive, drug... and the rush of getting just one more level has little appeal to me.

Ugh. What I wanted? Some magical Final Fantasy world, like playing a Final Fantasy game, but with other people to chat to and enjoy it with and have fun with. What I got, was generic MMO gameplay, tedious grind and fetch quests, a decidedly average, and very drawn out, storyline, and gameplay that encourages players to focus on experience points and levelling up over socialising or cooperation.

I guess I hoped for a Final Fantasy game - a magical world, interesting plot, fun gameplay - made into a MMO; an online, social experience. Instead, we have a MMO that's been squashed, hammered, and stretched into some grotesque approximation of a Final Fantasy shape. A lot of people do like this game. I can only assume they are long time MMO fans, rather than only long time FF fans.

Given Square Enix's habit of creating new and novel game mechanics for their single player games, I'd hoped they'd do something unique, new, and interesting here... But they haven't. They've stuck with the tried and tested.

I hope to try this again sometime, to see if any improvements have been made. There were some OK parts. It's possible as time passes, more of a community spirit may form. The character design and attire is good, graphics, while not on par with a single player FF title, are still pretty great (and even exceptional in some places).

There were a few glimmers of what might have been - as one example, the objective of one fetch quest was hard to find. I searched for it for a long time, with another player who also was on this quest. When I found it, I could direct the other player to the hidden goal. That quest was fun; it verged on cooperative gameplay. But I get the feeling that particular quest was an accident only.

I'm a part time game designer... And I found myself playing the game thinking: If only this had been designed through the lens of... How can this quest be cooperative? How can completing this goal rely on others?

I give it three stars to acknowledge that, as MMO games go, it's a pretty reasonable entrant.
on 7 May 2015
Its an absoloutely amazing game. At first I wondered why it was under £3 new but its certainly worth it and there are still loads of players online. I have never really gotten into MMORPGs before but this is certainly a step up from what I thought they would be. Great Purchase and I will be purchasing the latest edition as soon as I get a PS4.
on 17 December 2013
Awesome. Just awesome. Pure awesome. Love hanging out with people online. Just wished I had known you had to pay a subscription afterwards, but that was probably my fault for not researching it into it more. I pay the subscription though, so it's worth it.