on 20 November 2013
Very sad story but not as good as Wild Swans. I felt it finished too soon and lots of factors were left unresolved.
on 14 July 2016
I loved this honest hearth warming storey. She gives me strength in her courage and determination. Excellent read.
on 27 February 2000
I found the first part of the book rather boring. It seemed to just go on and on about the history of China, this maybe good for people who are interested in history, but I am not. However, the book got a lot better and I found it hard to put down. I found it unbelievable how her parents treated her, especially her stepmother - the way she divided her stepchildren and her real children - her stepchildren got nothing, but her real children got everything. The family dog got treated a lot better than her! I would recommend this book to anyone, except children under the age of 10, as they may not be able to understand some parts of it, and it may be a bit disturbing for them. I am 13 and have also read Adeline Yen Mah's autobiography for children, called "Chinese Cinderella" and I would recommend that to children under the age of 10, although it only goes up to when she is 14, it is still a very good book, and is much easier for younger children to understand, and it is much more appropriate for them.
on 17 August 2013
Ordered the book for my mum, as she has the sequel. She is keeping it to read on her upcoming holiday
on 11 October 2007
While i agree that this is a book worth reading.In my mind it doesn't deserve 5 stars as most reviews give.For me Adeline was throughout the book full of self pity.I found this annoying at times, because clearly it wasn't just herself that suffered at the treatment handed out by Niang, who it goes without saying was a very cold unhappy person herself.In fact Niangs own daughter Susan was treated as coldly and indifferent as the rest of them, i would think she would have a very interesting story.She at least removed herself out of the family situation, and never looked back.I find it hard to understand why someone as intelligent as Adeline would still crave approval from her stepmother Niang, after so many years of complaining about her behavior towards herself.I do not in any way condone the treatmant handed out by the stepmother, but it wasn't just Adeline.She did have the love of her aunt Baba which seems more than what Susan had. She also had a good education and used it wisely.I think Adeline was actually quite naive and thought everything would end up happy ever after.I have to say i have read other books similar to this ,where the author has managed to get their stories across with a great positive attitude instead of negativity. Having said all that it is worth a read. Sorry if i upset other reviewers as i can obviously see the majority think this book is 5 star.
on 4 February 1999
This book rates as THE worst that I have ever read and were it not for a belief in the sanctity of the written word I would take it outside and burn it. Not only is the quality of the writing extremely poor, the author gives the impression of being a bitter, immature, whinging, unbalanced and revenge seeking spoilt brat. Oh poor little unloved rich kid! How many times have we heard this theme - get over it!! This book is completely one-sided and fails to address any of the feelings of her family or the enormous advantages bestowed on the author compared to her fellow countrymen. It is with great sadness that I see this book in any way compared to the dignified, intelligent and balanced writing of Jung Chang in Wild Swans. Please do not buy this book and thus give the author any more satisfaction in her self-centered righteousness.
on 15 April 2016
It took me a while to get into this book, but I was soon hooked and couldn't put it down.
on 9 September 1999
I couldn't help wonder why it deserved such high praise. Perhaps it is much well wirtten in English than in Chinese? As a true story of the author, it was indeed a very sad one, but failed by and large to generate reader's empathy. I also found it hard to be "convinced" that the author would seek self redemption from being identified by her stepmother who had been described consistently as sinister and hostile. Or maybe I don't need to be convinced. In any case, I was just not touched or moved by the story itself, simply disappointed.
on 5 June 1998
This book was great! Of all the books about China this one of the best!!
on 13 December 2014
Very good, delivered really quickly, before the expected time!