Customer reviews

Mortal Pursuit
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.35

on 9 December 2011
Trish hasn't yet completed her first week as a rookie cop and it looks like she is in for another quiet night patrolling with her trainer and mentor, Wald. That is until they answer a routine call for the sighting of a possible prowler on an isolated property. Trish soon finds herself in a situation that was never covered during her police training and only quick thinking and razor sharp instincts can save her.

The plot and the suspense that Prescott built up as the story developed kept me hooked right until the last moment - I could not put the book down, not even to get food! There were so many twists and turns throughout the story, many of which I never saw coming. Others had me believing that there really was no possible escape for Trish and certainly no happy ending for the family. You could say that some of the solutions she came up with stretched credibility a little but they did not detract in any way from my enjoyment of the book.

The pace of the story is relentless and you don't get a chance to stop and take in what has happened before another situation arises.

Having said that you might think that the book was all action, action, action with no room for character development. That wasn't the case. Prescott brought Trish to life by giving us an insight into both her thoughts and the past events that shaped her life until that point in time.

The book was originally written in 1997 and the author mentions in the epilogue that some of the technology might seem a little dated. To be honest, I was so engrossed in the story that it never occurred to me that it might have been written 14 years ago and it made no difference whatsoever to the plot.

I was gripped right from the start of the book until I reached the final paragraph - what more can you ask for from a thriller? If you like an intense book that makes your heart race then this one is definitely worth trying out.
on 29 April 2012
This book was amazing! Thought it was going to be slow from the first few pages but it sped up very quickly and just kept on going! Found it very hard to put it down and enjoyed every minute of it! Even when you thought it was coming to an end, something else, even more dramatic, hit you and you were plunged back into it at rollercoaster speed!
Excellent book and I would highly recommend it.
on 21 July 2011
The tension and action don't let up in MORTAL PURSUIT as you are drawn into Trisha's world of fear, mayhem and violence. You wonder how a rookie cop will deal with everything that the bad guys are throwing at her and the various life-threatening predicaments she finds herself in. There is depth to the main character as well which puts you firmly on her side in the fight against some moral-less gangsters. Great writing and whilst the description, especially of the action, is excellent, there is no time wasted on unnecessary detail - making for a furious pace. There were enough surprises to keep me entertained and this is one I would definitely recommend to readers who like the action & adventure genre.
on 23 August 2011
A trainee police officer in a town where nothing much ever happens attends, with her training officer, a prowler call at a remote lakeside house. Within minutes she is unconscious, arms handcuffed behind her back and stuffed in the boot of their police car which is pushed off a jetty into the lake.

Looks like the vicious well-armed gang who have taken charge of the house and its occupants are free to do as they want, but ....

This is another first rate suspense thriller from Michael Prescott, maybe even better than 'Stealing Faces.' The book grips from the start as what seems to be a simple robbery turns out to be much more complex.

If you like Lee Child's 'Reacher' books then you'll love this. It is unputdownable!
on 14 January 2012
First of all I must say that Mr Prescott really knows how to write 'edge of your seat', tense, exciting, thrilling dialogue and prose.

He maintains the level of tension pretty much throughout the book which is a high standard of writing. However, I found myself getting a bit bored after a while. This whole 'stuck in a pressure cooker' situation is fairly standard fare and has been done many times in the past. At one point I thought it must be coming to a head and then realised that I was only 40% through the book. So, the hight octane ride continued but it lost me a bit from this point as it started to become a bit repetitive.

The characters were generally well described but the 'baddies' kind of morphed into one unpleasant person and were not that individually different.

The book lacked originality and although the plot and action was very well handled it just went on too long for me.
on 5 January 2012
As a fairly new kindle reader I was interested int he 99p books (I usually buy my paperbacks from charity shops) and have been quite disappointed in the first couple I bought. Not this one though.
I really loved this book. It hooked me from the start. Although a couple of plot lines were a wee bit predictable it was a real page turner and I read it at every available moment. Other reviews have given some detail of the plot lines so I won't repeat them. Suffice to say that I just wanted the girls to get out of their predicament and was keen to find the outcome.
I will definately read more of Mr Prescott's books.
on 2 July 2015
A graphic and hard-hitting novel with fast paced action from page one as we follow rookie cop Trisha on her adventures. The hapless criminals are as easy to dislike as Trisha is likeable and I found this an entertaining read. There are enough twists to keep you interested as well when Trisha's past collides with the present as she is left to single-handedly take on the bad guys. The writing is tense and snappy which only adds to an already frantic pace. The action really doesn't let up and there are definitely no dull bits as the heroine has to outsmart a group of ruthless killers responsible for her partner's death. The rape bit may have been overdone slightly and offend a few people, but then I believe it is necessary to be shocked and disgusted by subjects like this and it adds to the reader's involvement and dislike/hatred of the character responsible. Something I would definitely recommend and at the price it is an absolute steal!
on 20 May 2012
I was surprised at how well written this book was. With twists and turns appearing all the way through, it was a gripping read right through to the end. Well written.
on 5 March 2012
Enjoyed the book and the pace but couldn't overcome one main question that kept coming back and back again. Why did they, the bad guys, not just shoot her at the start. Why all the boot of the car and lake stuff. Then I realised that had they done what everyone else in their position would have done, there would have been no book. That is why I have given it only 3 stars, because you have to suspend belief to accept the story.
VINE VOICEon 6 December 2011
When you want a simple plot that keeps you turning the pages then this is one for you. Such a change from the psychological thriller or who-dunnit, but very well written; I think this type of book demands sometimes greater writing skills than those that appear more complex. And great to have a genuine female heroine. I read it in one sitting!