on 2 December 2010
I got this book as soon as it was published but wish I'd had it a year ago. I've been writing exacly the sort of smaller ecommerce sites described here and having the latest security and coding techniques explained step by step is great. This is not a book for the php/SQL beginner but for someone moving into an new area of programming or looking to update their skills. The tips in the margins scattered liberally throughout the book are great. I've learnt loads just skimming this book.
One thing about computer books is that many of them refer to other pages (often ones you've not got to yet) which is very frustrating, I've not come across that yet here. On top of that, most of the diagrams are in the same page that they are written about - wonderful!
on 28 January 2011
Even though I have decided to use OpenSource software for E-Commerce I have found this book to be a really useful resource so I recommend it.
on 6 May 2011
This book has been an exceptional companion for me whilst developing my new website.

Where it doesn't simply focus on getting out a workable site, but taking you through the steps to make sure that the site you do put out is not only functional, but secure and user friendly.

Larry Ullman has a gift for translating Geek into English and I'm looking forward to his future publication on Javascript! :)
on 4 July 2013
It's larry Ullman at his best. I needed a book about e-commerce development with PHP and when I found out that Larry Ullman had written a book on the subject I bought. I really enjoyed this book. The author has done his best to cover every aspect of e-commerce. One of the ways he has done it is by making two separate webshops in the book. One for selling digital good and the latter for physical products. They use different techniques and payment systems. I'm really glad that the autor went to the effort of creating both sites for the book.

However if you hope for a book which demonstrates a very strict use of the MVC model or an object oriented programming approach, as I did, you'll not find it in this book.

That said this book is very well written and it provides what it promises. It even has a great companion site where the author is very active on the forums.
on 4 March 2016
need to have a good knowledge of php, mysql, css & html beforehand
on 6 April 2011
Excellent livre pour appréhender la construction d' un site E-commerce pour petite entreprise.
Ce qui est interessant aussi dans ce livre c'est la méthode de codage de Larry: du php très clair et propre avec une priorité à la sécurité adaptée.
Vraiment un très bon livre.
NB. Si vous voulez le degrés bien au dessus (mvc avec smarty, search, etc) , il faut prendre le livre "beginning php et mysql e-commerce" de C. Darie.
on 2 May 2012
Hey, still haven't received the product when it was supposedly to come today... but generally a good sale and product
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse