on 10 May 2011
A nice harness which is pretty robust in all areas other than the quick release - which really couldn't be more terrible, even though the rest of the unit is robustly constructed.
The solution for the is to get a 3rd party quick release and permanently attach it to the support. I got that idea from this video review (of this shoulder rig). [...]

I would certainly recommend doing as the video recommends, because on the first use of the supplied quick-release I snapped the little silver screw handle right off!
So, forget about using it as-is.

Even allowing for the cost of the additional release, I'd still say this is a worthwhile buy.
on 20 April 2012
Not a bad little gadget, but unfortunately size really does matter!!!
Product description says it's adjustable but I'm a large man with a 52 inch chest and I'm afraid it's just not adjustable to these dimensions! On it's widest setting, I can just-about hook it over my shoulder... but it's not properly (or comfortably) set in place and just points up in the air rather than being seated horizontally as required for most shots. Description doesn't state a maximum size, but if I was 30 to 40 stone I could understand. These days being 20 stone is not a great deal more than average, so I would expect a product made for today's market would accommodate such proportions.
In my younger days I was quite into bodybuilding and my large chest is partially due to this fact... and not purely a symptom of more recent years of neglect since I began suffering from arthritis in my mid twenties!
BTW: It's interesting that in today's gluttonous world that even exercise machines (for the home market) do not generally accommodate anyone above about 18 stones in weight. I would have thought that it would be just THOSE people who actually need them most!
Anyway; for the price I paid I probably won't return the item, because I think I may be able to make a few modifications so that it will fit.
If I fail, I will just put the whole thing down to experience.
I hope you will find this review helpful.
on 20 March 2011
I was expecting something of basic quality that did the job reasonably well once I'd spent some time modifying it, so I was very pleasantly suprised. The build quality is very reasonable, the knobs lock well, the arms are spring loaded which I thought was a helpful touch when adjusting. The support comes with two extra parts to help you line your camera up exactly where you want it, I ended up using one and a pistol grip I already had for the camera (A Canon 550d) so I could use it totally handheld straight off the support rather than faffing with the QR plate. The included quick release plate is a bit small and hard to tighten, I recommend putting a manfrotto or similar base plate/mount on it if you intend to use a QR plate.

Very happy with the rig for the money(!), I personally find it far more comfortable and useful than the Zacuto style equivalents.
on 14 April 2011
Sorry to give the first somewhat negative review, but my item was obviously previously used, not new. The rig also didn't come with any directions at all, and the latch release on the camera mount does not release basically. So I am not 100% happy with it. As I have to use it this Saturday, there isn't time to return it and get an actual new one. The package was opened when it arrived, the case was covered in dirt, looked honestly like someone had stepped on it with a muddy shoe.

But the positive side of it, is I can tell this is a well designed rig for the money, and if it had not been used or come in smashed up packaging, I would have been quite happy with it except for the latch release not working.
on 18 March 2011
This solution is great value and I use it to carry my PMW-EX3 Sony camcorder, which I expect is the maximum weight this shoulder support will carry.

Compared with other pro. unit alternatives, this is very desirable.

Fully recommend it.
on 18 January 2012
We haven't used this in a live situation yet but it seems like it will do the job it's made for. Solidly made it fits well and feels quite comfortable. For the money it seems great. Well packaged and delivered promptly.
on 14 May 2012
OMG! shocked, when I received this item from Netgadgets. All the 3 parts were damaged including a rusted screw which is used to fix the camera to this rig. Couldn't assemble the parts as the screws were not compatible. Took photos of all the damages and sent back to the supplier with the photos. This was packed in a plain white box without any branding except a very small sticker in a corner.

When checking in Amazon came across exactly the same product with different brand names for much cheaper price: CowboyStudio £19.95, BV electronics £24.99 etc. This is also being sold in ebay etc. I am not convinced about the quality of this product and will never buy anything again from NetGadgets.
on 27 April 2011
Great! easy to use. makes filming long scenes easier. make filming your kids play better with out having to take tripod. however your not going to win any fashion contest while wearing it.
on 22 March 2012
This cheap rig can do much more than what I thought at the beginning.
Fits perfect and gives great stability during shooting, walking etc.
Woud recommend it to anyone who wants to stabilize his Dslr shootings.

For better use I added another quick-release plate because the one it has is
a little plastic thing that makes me feel uncomfortable for the safety of the camera.

Great add to my equipment. Maybe it will replace the extended use of the monopod.

CONS

The structure is from plastic. I'm not sure how long is going to last.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2012
I was really surprised at the speed of delivery. I did not expect too much for the price and was pleasantly surprised. The build quality appears good for the money. Disappointed NOT TO GET ANY INSTRUCTIONS, even basic ones. Have to resort to on line hints and reviews. Somewhat disappointed to find the screwing threads were RUSTY! Overall I am sure that it will be good to use, and avoid having to use a tripod. Would I recommend YES.