Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.49

on 13 January 2004
This has been my undisputed favourite for 15 years. It's almost like a classical piece. I've read on other reviews that people just listen and drift away, and I would agree. It's like being hypnotised - you're gently taken under, and gently brought back, feeling decidedly better for the experience, but without knowing quite why.
Miss America is an inspiring collection of haunting songs delivered in a breathtaking variety of styles without sacrificing cohesion. The arrangements are spectacular whilst the lyrics are sometimes clear, sometimes enigmatic and wide open to interpretation. Mary M is accompanied by an array of guitars, bass, piano, violin & drums.

Every track is great, but my favorites are the dreamy Help Me Lift You Up, Year In Song with its tempo shifts & vocal variation, the poignant Body's In Trouble, the yearning Dear Darling which sounds like a blend of torch song & country weepy, the rhythmic up-tempo A New Day, When You Know Why You're Happy and the pure rock number, My Friends Have.

Her vocal gymnastics are impressive as she moves from the mournful to the wistful to the exultant through Body's In Trouble, Dear Darling to A New Day. Also check out This Mortal Coil's version of Help Me Lift You Up on their album Blood. As singer/songwriter O'Hara is hard to classify, but fans of her compatriot Jane Siberry and of Tori Amos, and even of Meredith Monk! will certainly love this strange and atmospheric album.

on 23 February 2006
This is a jewel, a stunning, shimmering jewel. You will not find a better 45 minute musical statement anywhere. The head shaking realisation that she has only sent this album, a movie soundtrack and an EP out into the world will give you some appreciation of Mojo magazine's verdict regarding the utter desirability of this work. It should not also be a rarity, but it is. You will not currently come by this CD unless you are prepared to pay a premium. Beg, borrow or steal a copy, or a fraction of a copy to listen to: you will mortgage your soul to own the real thing. The nearest I can come to a comparison is the Cowboy Junkies - they even cover one of these songs on The Caution Horses (another must-have CD). Buy it, love it, tell someone about it. I just did.
An inspiring collection of songs delivered in a variety of styles with complete cohesion. Lyrics are sometimes clear, sometimes enigmatic and wide open to interpretation. Every track is great, but my favourites are: Help Me Lift You Up, Year In Song, Body's In Trouble, Dear Darling, A New Day, When You Know Why You're Happy. Her vocal gymnastics are impressive too as she moves from the sorrowful Body's In Trouble to the joyful A New Day. Also check out This Mortal Coil's version of "Help Me Lift You Up". As singer/songwriter O'Hara is hard to classify, but fans of her compatriot Jane Siberry and of Tori Amos, and even of Meredith Monk! will certainly love this album.
on 30 November 2005
She has the most stunning vocal style I have ever heard. It is such a shame her catalogue only comprises of this and a soundtrack.
I was fortunate enough to see her in 'The Dark Rider' in London last year. I didn't realise she was part of the cast (Marianne Faithful sort of stole the headlines) but as soon as she opened her mouth to sing I leaned to my girlfriend and said 'My God that sounds like Mary Margaret O'Hara'.
This has been since the 1980's and remains one of my most treasured albums.
on 27 September 2010
I re-bought this CD when I heard that Mary Margaret would be performing nearby, which is a rarity in and of itself...I owned the album years ago but it got lost in many moves..I wasn't sure it would be as riveting after all this time, how silly!
I've been listening in my car during my long commutes to work; each and every time I listen to it I notice something new, I don't even know how that is possible, but Mary Margaret is one of the most unique performers on the planet and what she does to music is akin to what a contortionists does in the circus. Her timing is her own, her voice soars and lilts and everything in between, there is not one singer to whom she can be compared, it would be quite impossible to try to explain her to anybody, she just must be heard to be believed. I only wish she recorded more music, because this rare gem makes you long for more.
on 1 August 2006
I thought me and my mate Simon were the only people in the world who knew this record was a work of genius. What a delight to discover so many other people seem to concur.Arthur Rimbaud, Marcel Proust, Nick Drake, Sylvia Plath; Mary Margaret is as fragile, and for all I know, probably as bonkers. Brilliant band too. An exceptionally sympathetic setting for her jewel like voice. Buy this record - if you can find a copy.
on 3 February 2015
Bloody fantastic, as the cassette was that I had 20-odd years ago. Like nothing else.