on 25 July 2017
I've had mine for about 6 months and, as a deep sleeper who finds it very hard to wake on dark mornings, this has been a really helpful gadget; but, I have found it to be very complicated to set up and use and these gripes almost outweigh the benefits. In no particular order, these are:
• You cannot use the alarm without the light. To combat this I've removed the bulb, as it's unnecessary for me during the summer months as the natural light helps to wake me up.
• The buttons produce a loud, hollow-sounding clunk when you press them, and I often find myself wildly pressing several buttons in the night to get to the right function, which can be quite noisy. Even my £20 basic alarm clock from Bush - its predecessor - had soft click buttons.
• Unless you have set the alarm, if you just want to listen to the radio you have to remember to turn it off when you're done as it does not go off itself (as other clock radios do). This is a small issue and is easiest to overcome, but after 30 years' experience of alarm clocks that do turn off it's become a hard habit to break.
• The alarm requires activation each night, instead of staying set unless I turn it off. This is a bit of a nuisance as I often forget to set it (for the same reason as above).
• Turning the display off when you don't want to set the alarm can be a bit tricky if you get the combination of buttons wrong. This is hard to explain, but if the display reads anything other than the time alone, the two-finger action doesn't work. I do this a lot and then find that I have to clunk the buttons a few more times to clear the display and then try again. Then if I want to view the time in the night it's hard to know what to press without enabling/disabling the alarm, etc.

I realise this was created as a medical aid rather than a typical alarm clock, but as it fits into this category, I believe it should share some of the common features found on regular alarm clock radios. Any help with these frustrations would be appreciated as I cannot find the answers in the manual, or online. One final point before I end my review, the radio gives a good, rounded sound.
on 9 March 2017
This item was something I had my eye on for a very long time. When I finally bought it, I was very happy with the delivery and the set up was very straightforward (like setting the time, alarm, sound, etc). The light, at it's brightest, is really rather bright - which is perfect, as I was worried it wouldn't be bright enough as a bed side lamp for reading. The dim is lovely, warm, and soft. It's very nice being able to choose the brightness of the lamp.

The sunset option is a great way to gently go to sleep, but generally you can only use the sunset if you've put your alarm on. It has a fantastic feature of being able to go to sleep listening to a sound (I chose the waves because is was most relaxing) that slowly gets quieter over the sunset until it stops. This is perfect for me as I suffer from tinnitus which often makes going to sleep more difficult in silence. The fact that you can adjust the length of the sunrise in the morning is great too. I found that half an hour was too fast, so 45 minutes worked a lot better for me.

Now, potentially because I am a heavy sleeper, I find the sunrise often doesn't wake me up. When it does, it's great because the wake up is very gentle and gradual. However, when it does not, I am woken up by the back-up alarm.

My main dislike about the clock is that, say on the weekend you don't want to set your alarm, the display stays bright all night. Without manually turning down the display light, then turning it up when you wake up, there's no way to dim it just for the night. If you have the alarm on, it's fine because it goes dark with the sunset. But if not, it is quite bright in the middle of the night.

Other than that though, I am very pleased with the light. Works as a fab alarm as well as a great bedside lamp.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 October 2015
Ive had this clock now for 2 years and love it. Here are the good bits:
- lovely soft light in the room, which gives a gentle sleep and wake up, which was the whole point for us
- nice wake up alarms. We especially like the birds singing.
- radio function is good if you get good radio signal.

Cons:
- it is very fiddly to set up but we found some videos on YouTube which helped;
- the radio is not DAB, which means the quality isn't great (we live in a rural area);
- we haven't found a way to switch off the front display without setting the alarm but I've read this is possible...

On the whole really happy with this product. So much so I've bought two more as presents for family. I'd recommend.
on 22 March 2017
I bought this when it was getting harder and harder to get up in the morning when it was still dark outside. I only use the light option as I wasn't too fond of the alarm noises and we keep this on the other side of the room.
This clock has made a massive difference to waking up, as it's now gradual and you don't have that harshness when you turn on a light when you have been in darkness. It's also nice having the sunset feature to fall asleep to. The difference with this clock and the cheaper ones, is that this one you can customise the alarm noise and you can change the length of sunset and sunrise. I would say it's worth buying, but I got this when it was on offer (I think it was reduced to about £75), so I would recommend holding out for it to drop if you are hesitating over the price. All in all, it's a great clock! Mornings are now easy.
on 3 October 2016
This is my second as the first finally died...it was an original though so good long life! I am such much more pleasant in a morning waking up gently with these lights....fantastic product.
on 19 September 2015
This replaced an earlier model I've had for years which gave up the ghost. Several things have improved, but the alarm time should be easier to change (in a normal week, I'll set at least 3 different times). The brightness of the display should have more variability - is basically on or off and I want an intermediate setting at night. I was annoyed to have to buy a model with a radio (which I don't need) to get other setting options. Either my DAB radio keeps poor time or this (and it's predecessor) does. Have to keep resetting to keep in sync. These are all annoying glitches in what is otherwise the best product of its type I've found, which really does make getting up less stressful and unpleasant.
on 1 September 2014
Not as user friendly as I expected. re-read booklet a number of times. Love the light coming up in winter. Disappointed with radio reception and I get a clicking - not worth paying extra for this feature, and the standard time settigns are ideal so don't need the variety this model offers either. I haven't found a way of using alarm without light for summer use. Having the display set to go dark so it doesn't show at night unless I press button means I cannot easily see the time during the day. Also haven't found a way to have the light stay bright for reading and not dim on me.
on 9 January 2016
Hate waking up? Detest the sound of your alarm? Can't snooze enough? Always feel rubbish waking up?

This alarm is life changing. I can't fathom how or why this isn't rated a full 5*! Yes, there are ways this can be improved, but it is a fantastic product.

Pros: sunset mode is amazing. The optional choice of well-being sounds are brilliant, I've had no problems getting to sleep every night since I've had this alarm. The alarm itself is nice, easy to set up and easy to use. The light looks lovely and you can use this as a bedside lamp easily.

Cons: the FM radio should definitely be a DAB for this price. However, there really is no harm in using the FM radio, the little antenna cable is a bit annoying but I wouldn't avoid purchasing this product for that reason.

I looked around at many alternatives before purchasing this, decided to stick with the original Lumi brand and opted to pay more to have the audio options as I really hate having to use my phone alarm. Best decision I have ever made. (Note: this is the most expensive alarm I've ever purchased and I don't normally spend money like this- I see it as an investment in getting my mornings back and feeling like a human rather than a sleep monster!)
on 10 June 2017
This clock has changed my life through the winter. A little tricky to set - the instructions required a few read throughs - but easy once you get the hang of it. It wakes you up with a lovely gradual light that gets very bright once fully switched on, making it double up as a reading light in the evenings too. You can set the time for the light to be fully on, and the time you want the light to be fading on for - I find 30 minutes to be good for me. You can also programme sound to wake you alongside the light; there are pre-programmed sounds or you can use the radio. Excellent all round!
on 3 March 2014
The menu system is easy to cycle through, RTM and it couldn't be simpler. Yes you do have to arm it each day but then you don't get an unwanted wake up at 6:30 on a weekend ;).

Since setting this up I don't remember ever having fallen asleep. I used to toss and turn getting the brain to wind down/block the sound, but the white noise 'sunset' has me fast asleep in moments. I cannot stress enough how great this is unless you suffer from tinnitus too, in which case you'll get it.

Radio reception and sound isn't too bad, but that white noise is why I would buy another one of these tomorrow. Oh and waking up to bird song and a golden light through the recent dark mornings, has been a pleasant start to the day.

Device isn't obtrusive on my small bedside shelf, and I like the curved design. Simple button controls work well and the LED auto off setting makes the room dark, just how I like it.

All in all, buy it. Better specced than the cheaper Lumie, but added functions well worth it.