Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 22 October 2011
Between 1959 and 1966, there were 217 black and white episodes of Rawhide. I always considered it to be one of the very best TV westerns and I watched almost all of them.

Now around 50 years later, I have still found a great deal to enjoy here as the series continues with Season 3. Some episodes are much better than others, but that applies to all TV series. It is the cast that makes Rawhide so outstanding.

Clint Eastwood, who plays the hot-headed foreman Rowdy Yates needs no introduction but the real star of the show was Eric Fleming who plays the no-nonsense trail boss Gil Favor. Sadly he died in 1966 at the age of 41 and if my memory serves me correctly, he was drowned in a fast flowing river while filming on location.

The comedy element comes from Paul Brinegar who plays the bad-tempered cook Wishbone, and his rather dim assistant is played by James Murdock (Mushy).

Sheb Wooley, who recorded many cowboy songs, plays the rather laconic scout, Pete.

In each episode there is a guest star or stars and one of the best episodes in this series features Frankie Laine who recorded the song for the series.

Revelation have done an excellent job with these films which are about 50 years old, and they look almost as good as new. I had no problems with any of the DVDs.

For anyone who likes good old fashioned westerns then you can't do better than Rawhide. Very highly recommended.
33 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 September 2014
I am slowly but surely working my way through the Rawhide series along with the other great westerns that were originally shown when television was supposed to be entertainment. I can remember that most cinemas in those days used to show a couple of movies alongside a news short, maybe a cartoon or 2 reel comedy and - to the sound of groans all around the cinema - a travelogue or some similar documentary. Times change, now tv is overloaded with stuff you wouldn't have given a hoot for back then and all we have now are reminders of much better times when some studio or another releases golden reminders of how it used to be. Rawhide was - and still is - a great series with an excellent cast of both stars and supporting actors with strong storylines that offered - like Wagon train - different locations and different types of plot every week as an alternative to the more town or ranch settings of other western series. Don't get me wrong, in those days any western was worthy of watching but whilst it wasn't my favourite ( I think I would have to give that honour to The Dakotas' I certainly rate Rawhide very highly and having just started watching this DVD I can honestly say that everything so far is right up there with the first 2 seasons and I am looking forward to the remaining titles. Picture quality and sound are both excellent, the acting and storylines are both strong.....All in all this is a great release. .
on 12 August 2011
Rawhide is a very well written, great old western. The stories are interesting, often multi layered and often more adult than expected (series 3 has an episode where a cowboy (played by Robert Culp) is adicted to morphine). There is also a surprising amount of humour too, often delivered by Wishbone, the outfit's cook. By series 3 the characters were well established and the audience/fans can enjoy the situations all the more. Series 3 showed no dip in the quality of the stories and the episodes were as enjoyable as any in the first 2 seasons. Well worth a look and a must for all fans of Clint.
on 13 March 2017
One of the best early TV Westerns. Good story lines and well acted. It is good to see these again.
on 2 January 2012
I love rawhide and it is still a great and interesting series.....will look forward to season 4. Head em up and move em out.....
on 24 March 2017
Exelent
on 12 February 2013
Great nostalgia if you like westerns.I will buy more Rawhide the DVD is of very high quality.
Gill Favor is ver underrated
on 1 January 2013
What can I say, not everyone's taste(unless they love a good western) but this takes me back to my youth and reliving the enjoyment of those days when TV was not so dark as today.
Great quality and a good price.
on 20 March 2016
I love Westerns. They are the only films I usually collect on DVD, as they always seem so adventurous, and the scenery is always so picturesque. This set and the other two volumes and two forthcoming volumes, one of which is due shortly contain the complete Rawhide television episodes from 1959 to 1965. The title track which I love was sung by Frankie Laine, one of the greatest singers. But I am a bit averse to the fact it is all in black and white, which is why I deducted a star, as by then all films were being made in color. But this may have been because it was a television series, and a lot of people in the UK still only had black and white television. But in the States where these episodes were filmed, it may have been different, as the Americans were always in advance to the British in regards technology. I have copy-pasted this review for all three volumes, so the review for them is identical.
on 19 September 2012
This dvd arrived within a day and a half and it was cheap too. I am very impressed indeed. Rawhide will bring back such great memories. I can not comment on the dvd because I have not watched it yet because I have now decided it is for my husband for christmas. It was series 3 of 1,2,+ 3 that I ordered from different sellers. I recieved series 3, then series 2, very quickly, so as I was waiting for series 1 I decided to put them away for christmas. So I have 3 different series in all. I have become impatient and feel excited with a strong urge to watch them now, but I must not. We both grew up with Rawhide and thoroughly enjoyed them when we were young. So I may give all 3 for his birthday in November if I don't last til christmas. Wish me luck in trying to last out until then.