on 13 February 2014
A fascinating mystery and a brilliant read from start to finish with a surprise ending. This is my kind of book.Recommended.
on 7 January 2011
The Silent Land is a good erie novel that kept me turning the pages - this isn't a shabby trick to pull off in a novel which is mostly focused on just two characters. Recommended.
on 29 October 2013
As usual, an incredible story which gripped me right from the start. What an author!!! I can't wait to read more.
on 14 January 2011
This is a novel I will be re-reading very soon.I couldn't put it down it was so involving from start to finish.One of the best books I have read in years.
on 10 May 2013
I saw this book on amazon a while again and was really looking forward to reading it, but I was so disappointed when I finally got round to reading it. Going from other reviews on here I formed a very wrong opinion of the book and imagined it to be so much better. The theory and concept of the novel is good, but the execution was dire, the writing, development of character and dialogue were terrible, I've never been so bored reading a book. After the first couple of chapters I decided to keep on going with the hope that it'd get better, I was wrong, if anything it got worse. The standard of writing was so simplistic and basic and resembled more like a poorly written childrens book, with absolutely no investment in quality and certainly didn't reflect the writing background tha the author appears to have. I had two other novels by this author in my wish list, since reading this novel they have been removed. I'm very sorry about this review but when you build yourself up and look forward to actually reading something so promising only to have it shattered, you can't help feel disappointed.
on 23 December 2014
Bland and predictable, a real disappointment.
on 22 July 2011
Ho hum - I must obviously have read a different book to all these reviewers: good writing indeed!
If I didn't know any differently I'd have said that a kid of thirteen had written this story.
The writing was very basic - pit this up against an R J Ellory and you'll see what I mean!!!

The two skiers were so boring it wasn't true - their characters so uninteresting who really
cared what happened to them?

And their crass bad language at times was just crude and unreal.

The story was a dreamlike affair, having survived an avalanche, but by the end of the book
I was disappointed that the avalanche hadn't won right at the start, and obliterated the
whole concept.

Suggest the writer sticks to his day job, but if it's to do with writing - go get an R J Ellory
and brush up before it's too late!!!
on 12 March 2012
I really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. As you got further in it became quite dark but you wanted to know more.