on 9 July 2011
Well, I took my family to see Kung Fu Panda 2, and we all thought it was at least as good as the first film. It is engrossing, touching, clever, and much of the time absolutely hilarious. We had seen that the critics all panned it, and had high hopes because they are quite often wrong. Of course, it depends on how you judge these things. A lot of the surprise element is inevitably lost now that we know Po is, indeed, the Dragon Warrior in spite of his ungainly appearance and humble behaviour. And it must have been hard for the director and scriptwriters to define his new status vis a vis Shifu and the Furious Five. Furthermore - as a lot of comments here have pointed out - how on earth could they follow an act as supremely vicious and powerful as Ian McShane's Tai Lung?

All those problems are resolved in Kung Fu Panda 2 - and, I think, very satisfactorily indeed. The main dramatic engine is, of course, the villain, and Gary Oldman's rendering of the peacock Lord Shen is right up there with McShane's performance as Tai Lung. True, the peacock is not a supreme Kung Fu fighter - although he is pretty good - but he over-compensates for that by introducing mechanisation. Cleverly exploiting the fact that gunpowder and fireworks were first invented in China, the writers conceive the happy idea of making Shen set up a full-fledged production line devoted to turning out huge cannon. As Shifu and others explain, Shen's artillery has the potential to overthrow Kung Fu for once and for all - so Po and the Furious Five are fighting, not just for themselves, their friends, and the people of a conquered city, but to maintain the supremacy of their religion and their way of life. Necessarily - because cannon do not make or haul themselves - Shen commands a sizeable army of wolves and gorillas (which appear to have flat-top haircuts suggestive of the US military). So, although personally less scary than Tai Lung, he is a far more formidable enemy.

Within the constraints of a 91-minute film, an incredible amount of action takes place. After an efficient scene-setting, in which we see Shen's falling-out with his parents and his determination to seek revenge even beyond the grave, Po and the Five are dispatched by Shifu to deal with Shen and his miscellaneous artifacts and henchthings. Meanwhile, Po reflects (in his copious free time) on the task Shifu has set him: to seek "Inner Peace". Hugely outnumbered, at a great disadvantage because of Shen's artillery, and even out-thought by the wily bird, the friends seem to be up against it. But, needless to say, at the exactly perfect moment everything comes together for Po... Meanwhile the jokes come thick and fast - although you will perhaps find the film more amusing if you enjoy running gags, of which there are plenty.

It is certainly true that Kung Fu Panda 2 is darker, and there is mention of death. Indeed, it is central to the psychological aspect of the plot, as Po finds out more about where he came from and his parents. However, I noticed that the almost-empty cinema contained several small children - one little girl of perhaps five was sitting directly behind us with her father - and I didn't see any evidence of fear or unhappiness. Indeed, the tiny child behind us was volubly enthusiastic at the end, telling her father what a wonderful movie it had been and how much she enjoyed it. I think you have to give DreamWorks credit for knowing what people of all ages like and don't like. For all but determined critics, then, I think you will find Kung Fu Panda 2 a worthy sequel and perhaps, in some ways, even better than the first.
44 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2015
This movie is a brilliant sequel to Kung Fu Panda and a must have for any Po fan's (the panda played by Jack Black). I bought this for my Son who loves the first movie and we have had this film on repeat most days since we received it. It is a huge hit in our house!
We follow the story of how Po came to be involved in Kung Fu and the dark secret of his past. The Furious Five and the Dragon Warrior must take on an evil Peacock and stop him from taking over all of China. Meanwhile Po must learn how to face his demons and discover inner peace in order to save the day.
All our favourite characters return in the sequel, played by the original actors from the first movie: Jackie Chan (monkey), Angelina Jolie (Tigress), David Cross (Crane), Seth Rogan (Mantis) Lucy Liu (Viper) and Jack Black (Po). This all star list of actors means that the fun and adventure never ends.
I'll admit I had to get talked into going to see the original Kung Fu Panda, but I quickly got caught up in the story. So when they started advertising Kung Fu Panda 2, I knew I would have to see it. While not as funny as the original, it is still quite entertaining.

The story picks up at some point after the first movie ends. Now officially accepted as the Dragon Warrior, Po (voiced by Jack Black) is known as a national hero. He regularly joins the Furious Five as they use Kung Fu to defend China from enemies.

Unfortunately, a new enemy is about to return. Shen (Gary Oldman) was banished because of his desire to use fireworks for evil. But there is a prophecy that Shen will be defeated by a black and white warrior.

Meanwhile, Po is beginning to think that he might not be related to his father the goose. He is seeing flashbacks of his old life and begins to think that Shen might hold the answers. Will Po learn the truth? And if so, will Po find the inner peace to defeat Shen?

In my opinion, there are two kinds of sequels - those that basically rehash the plot and those that try to continue the story. This is definitely a sequel in the later category. Yes, Po still has much training to learn. No, he's not a perfect fighter. But he can hold his own, and the Furious Five have accepted him as an equal. In fact, it is clear early on that he is a much loved member of the group.

Having said that, the Furious Five are hardly better developed than they were before. Angelina Jolie's Tigress and Seth Rogan's Mantis get the best development, but it's honestly hard to remember who is who from the rest of the five. Really, Po and Shen are the only characters who get a decent amount of development this time around.

I mentioned that this movie wasn't quite as funny as the original, and that's true. There are still plenty of laughs. There are great one liners, sometimes in a least expected places. And the action scenes are often funny as well while still taking the Kung Fu seriously. In fact, I'd argue that the action scenes hold up better here than some of them do in live action movies.

The computer animation is good, but that's hardly surprising. While there are no breathtaking shots, everything looks fine and there is nothing to push you out of the story.

And the voice cast is wonderful. The fact that almost everyone in the cast is a well known actor doesn't get in the way at all. I hardly recognized their voices, instead getting caught up in the story unfolding on the screen in front of me.

So Kung Fu Panda 2 is a worthy follow up to the original. No, it's not quite as good, but it still entertains.
on 3 April 2014
I enjoyed the first one so I had to get the second one, this was a brilliant film with a really good story line.
The DVD was in good packaging, the case was in good condition with no cracks or marks and the disk was nice and clean with no scratches.
I would recommend this to a friend as I really enjoyed the film and I am happy with this product.
on 5 February 2016
Kung Fu Panda 2 is a great film, well made and highly enjoyable. Highly recommended.
I can't comment on the bonus DVD "Secrets of the Masters" as the supplier "Zoverstocks" sent the wrong version, without the bonus disc. I returned one but when they sent the replacement they got it wrong, again ! Don't know whether to try again or just give up the will to live ! Lol...
on 19 March 2016
Focuses almost entirely on Po, rather than the other characters, but Jack Black is a big enough character by himself to keep things fun, let's face it. Storyline is sufficiently interesting. Good few belly laughs along the way - my 8 year old daughter and I will definitely be watching this again.
on 11 January 2016
Quick delivery, great value & excellent quality. Well packaged for safe arrival. Brought as a birthday present & gratefully received. A good all rounder for any age & ideal for family viewing. Will give hours of joy and light relief on dull winter days/evening. Really pleased would recommend. A must for any Kung Fu Panda fan.
on 6 June 2015
join panda and his friends ,who kung-foo their way to the evil emporer peacock who is intent on getting rid of panda,once and for all.a great follow up to kung fu panda.and see the quick site for kung fu panda 3.great for the children to watch.recommend
on 30 January 2014
If you liked the first rendition of Po's antics, then you'll really love this one! When I found this had been released, I did wonder where the story could possibly go AFTER Po has become the dragon warrior, but they have handled this very well, with lots of story, bright colours and funny antics, this is another lovable film for the entire family!

There is even the hint of a Kung Fu Panda 3! Which I, personally, am very excited for, with the premise that is given!

Would definitely recommend, but only for fans of the first
on 23 January 2016
Very big fan of DreamWorks animations, so I decide to increase my collection with another classic, which this time I had the privilege to get it in triple format, DVD, Blu ray and Digital HD copy. Great case, great art work, including some special features. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon with the family.
review image review image review image review image review image