...still no Depeche Mode though - which was many people's criticism of volume 1 of this otherwise excellent series. Nevertheless this is for me an even stronger compilation than that.

So, we DO get Kraftwerk, Paddy McAloon, Trevor Horn, Tangerine Dream, David Bowie, David Sylvian, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Thomas Dolby - to name but eight. There are (again mirroring vol. 1) some inspired selections too - The Stranglers "Golden Brown", Wham's "Everything She Wants" and "When Love Breaks Down" by Prefab Sprout - not what anyone would call definitive electronic records but, they fit in with the compilers' apparent aim of educating and entertaining. Check, for example, "Beatbox" by The Art of Noise - the track that, rumour has it, sent Kraftwerk back into the studio to re-record their already delayed "Electric Cafe" LP. Then there's Freeez's "IOU" - produced by Arthur Baker at around the same time he was producing New Order's "Confusion" and a much better record than the latter - probably because on "IOU" the participants remembered to write a song.

Gripes? Well at this price it's difficult to grumble BUT...two Frankie Goes To Hollywood tracks, effectively back-to-back allowing for changing between discs 1 and 2, is one too many. Duran Duran's "Save a Prayer" - an influence on electronic music undoubtedly, but it's not on here, instead it's "Hungry Like The Wolf" (hmmm...). Kim Carnes' "Bette Davis Eyes" is not a song I would have owned but for this either. The sound quality's a bit tinny - like it's been mastered from an MP3 or something. And then there's some sort of IPod advert in the booklet - I hate that type of stuff.

But really I'm nitpicking. Music the quality of "Forbidden Colours", "Souvenir", "The Model", "Love On A Real Train" more than makes up for any shortcomings. After all, this will be one of the rare opportunities I will get to play music I love, and my guests will at least tolerate, at this year's Christmas party. Try as I might, Wolfgang Voigt's Freiland Klaviermusik still empties the house.
99 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2014
Bought this ages ago and have been listening to it a lot lately. I know my 80s music inside out although when most of this stuff was in the charts I was listening to Cockney Rejects and a lot of the skinhead bands of the day.

It's funny though - what sticks out here as total genius wasn't necessarily what sounded the best at the time. For instance The Art of Noise sounded like a fun novelty band at the time but their track on here is head and shoulders above the entire rest of the compilation.

An album with this many selections ain't gonna please everyone - and I'd gladly have swapped the Midge Ure tracks here for a couple of Alexei Sayle selections - because Sayle was actually a bit of an electronic pioneer in the 80s, albeit in an anomalous kind of a way.

Another thing anyone with half a brain and at least one ear will notice is that there's no Depeche Mode here, which is unfortunate. It's like a Best Of The Mods album with no Weller in this respect.

Still, this compilation is well worth the outlay - and especially good if you want an uninterrupted (and extensive) selection of popular (and never really populist) 80s stuff.
on 9 December 2010
I had bought the first album in the Electronic 80s series and was thrilled to hear they were bringing out a second installment. Well folks, the Ministry of Sound haven't disappointed! From Duran Duran to Scritti Politti, you have in your hands some of the greatest hits from the New Wave/synthpop era. Buy it and enjoy!
on 28 November 2010
I have to agree with the review below this one its a great album but Depeche Mode are still missing that said I have both of these CD's and they are two of Ministry Of Sounds' best although I have so many of them...As I listened to this my childhood memories came flooding back with such great artists as Human League, Eurythmics and Ultravox it's hard to find any fault in this if you love 80's music then this is best compilation out there, my fave tracks on here have to Dancing With Tears In My Eyes and Beatbox ideal album for a Christmas party or if you fancy a nostalgia trip and try to remember what you were doing when you first heard these songs
on 17 December 2010
Another nice selection of ditties from my misspent youth.

Too much speed, lip-gloss, and bad sex to remember the exact details. Like the first album in this series it's a good trip down memory lane. I can see the lights and smell the sweat of those dingy night clubs late nights as I write this review.

It's easy to dismiss this stuff a bubblegum-pop, but 25~30 years ago this was innovate stuff using the latest technology and what's more you didn't have to play guitar to be a hero. This set contains some classics and some I'm not too sure about as well as some glaring omissions like Depeche Mode. But generally a good album with good continuity

This was the return to the three minute pop song that you could actually dance too. Not that I liked dancing, but it was hell of a way of pulling a bird. Ok they had big hair and layers of make up but at two in the morning who cares.

Listening to this now it does sound little one dimensional but that's because we have moved on so far musically. But let us not make judgement that fast. The music here is fun and uplifting, not like the aggression of punk and bedroom anarchists or the self loathing morose sounds of the Northern Gloom and Goth or the quirky intelligent acoustic pop.

This was music for Friday Night, actually it was Tuesday night but were splitting hairs. This music momentarily made you forget about the daily tread mill and the Thatcher Years. By Christ we perceive the world is tough now but it was just as tough then the only difference is that people have forgotten how to have fun.

This music embraced life and decorated it with tinsel and bells it was positive music for a narcissistic time. The music represented here originated from the seedy back streets of Soho and perhaps that's why is so sexually overt and intoxicating.

The fact that this music is so durable and has stood the test of time is testimony to how good it is. It reminds Me a bit of how as a teenager in the 80s that although we had one foot firmly on the ground we were fasinated with the late 50's and 60's music.

Perhaps in the 2030's the music the kid play today will be remembered as favourably I don't know I'll probably be dead.

In the mean time enjoy a slice of music from the decade that knew how to party. I doubt that we will ever see the like again
on 31 December 2010
The Stranglers? Wham? Billy Idol? Electronic pioneers? Really? Can someone tell me what "electronics" where used on "Golden Brown" ?
on 25 March 2011
I don't think that Depeche Mode give their permission for any of their songs to go on any "80's" compilations. I think that they might be missing out on a lot of new fans who get into the 80's electro-pop scene (as opossed to the far more pretentious name of 'Electronica' as it goes by now) through excellent compilations such as this.
on 4 July 2015
Great 80s compilation, 2nd edition in the series following the one from 2009 featuring Ultravox, Yazoo, OMD, Erasure, Communards, New Order, Howard Jones, China Crisis etc.. Definetly and I mean definetly buy if your an 80s fan (like me!!)
on 31 December 2010
Brilliant CD set - all the old stuff from the 80s although it was a present request from my 13 year old son! He might be regretting it slightly 'cos he didn't realise I knew the words to all the songs and just HAD to sing along lol!
on 30 January 2011
This is a disapointment - after the very good 1st album I listened to at least 100 times, they clearly shot all their bullets. After the 1st 3 tracks it badly goes down hill. On one of the discs, there is barely 3 tracks that I would actually call electronic anthems. Human league, Kraftwork, eurythmics yes, go west (again), billy idol, wham certainly not. I would say more than half of the tracks on the 3discs is pure 80s filler, probably lifted from "Now 5" or something! not impressed and have ebayed it already.