on 23 September 2017
So many anachronisms and so many American idioms. When will this author learn the difference between British muffins and the American cake type, that English girls came out rather than debuted, and that garden flowers are seasonal? There are too many small mistakes to list, but the add up to an annoying distraction. If the author is too contemptuous of her readers to do a little research, her editors could at least correct some of them.
on 1 June 2015
This is not a Regency period novel. The culture, behaviour (especially social constraints), even the diet! doesn't ring true.
The dialogue is stiff and unnatural and as others have commented, nothing much happens. Far too many and overlong bedroom scenes.
If you want to read a good Grace Burrowes book choose 'The Duke's Disaster'.
on 3 January 2013
I THOUGHT THIS WAS AN EXCELLENT BOOK. I WAS UNABLE TO PUT IT DOWN FOR
LONG. The other great thing was that it was a decent length, the characters were very believable.
on 2 February 2011
I literally had to force myself to finish reading this book, I bought it so I WILL read it. But boy was it hard work. There was no development of the characters it was a case of the hero getting bashed over the head and suddenly falling in lust with his housekeeper. This book jumped all over the place, the plot was shakey to say the least and one that has been done to death. I really wouldn't waste my money on another of her books.
on 18 February 2011
I must stress straight away that I have only read the first four chapters so far.....I do not think I will be able to tolerate finishing this book without skipping over several chapters. Up to yet there is no storyline...if I read again anything more regarding muffins or lemonade...I think I will scream! I stress again I have only read the four chapters...but I really have no incentive to finish this book. If I had to describe this story in one word, it would be insipid. I cannot give this even one star.....sorry.
on 21 May 2011
The Heir is the debut novel for Grace Burrowes, and as debuts go, it's not bad. As other reviewers have pointed out though, her knowledge of Regency England is lacking. The Earl discovers a liking for muffins - the American variety - and cookies. Neither of which existed in England at that time. And forgive me my squeamishness, but to me, the hero using his chamber pot holds no place in a romance novel. Heroes - and heroines - don't go to the toilet in romances - or movies. It just doesn't happen. Every time we were treated to a description of him taking a piss, I cringed.

From a technical nit-picking perspective, the editing was also a bit hit and miss with a few words repeated or just downright incorrect - perhaps that only applies to the Kindle edition.

I stuck with it, even though the heroine's story took an age to actually get anywhere. There were flashes of excellent humour when the brothers were together and I had a liking for the Earl, but I found it difficult to like Anna, the heroine. Her hearing-impaired sister Morgan was a much more interesting character and The Heir tantalised with a possible romance developing between Morgan and the Earl's younger brother Valentine.

One aspect I thought Grace Burrowes handled very well, with great sensitivity, was the way the household and family gradually recovered from the death of their other 2 brothers. Her writing was spot on as the Earl came to realise how things had moved on, and how they were all starting to live again.

I think Grace Burrowes has potential as a writer, and I will certainly read her again.
on 15 June 2011
I enjoyed the verbal interplay betwen the two main characters, although, unfortunately, they were supported by a large cast of stereotypes. In my opinion, the author took the least line of resistance in making the book more about sex and lust, than love.

However, that's a matter of taste. The real howlers in this book were caused by the author's apparent complete ignorance of he subject. Let me make a few observations:

1. An heir to a dukedom is a Marquess. He might have additional titles, but he is a Marquess.
2. If an Earl marries the sister of an earl, in no way is he marrying beneath him.
3. "First base", "I guess", "Cookies", "Stoop" are modern Americanisms not used in Regency England.
4. A horse would not normally double as both a riding and a carriage animal. The skills, musculature and training are very different.
5. Reference to "Queen's Guards" - if Prinny was Regent (as is mentioned) they would have been King's Guards.

These are just a few of the things which made me laugh inappropriately.

As a read, I don't think the story was well planned. The reader needed to know much earlier what the 'mystery' surrounding Anna was. Perhaps the author kept it back so long because she was aware that it was no big deal.

It gets 2 stars rather than one because I was actually able to finish it.
44 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 May 2011
I adore historical romance and to be honest I'm not particularly fussy about what I read but this is the first book in years that I've abandoned after a few pages. The idea of a servant essentially assaulting a member of the aristocracy for such flimsy reasons seems to show a real lack of period awareness but I was prepared to overlook this for literary creativity. Then I got to the cookie reference.... COOKIES??!! In Regency England?! At this point I gave up and mourned the loss of the 49p I wasted on the book!
on 26 November 2015
I loved this book - as I have done with all Ms Burrowes' novels that I have read so far. I find her writing good and her style of book is always appealing. Once I start I have great difficulty putting it down until I have experienced the hero and heroine's journey. This can cause quite a bit of distruption to family life!

The story is about a Duke's heir, Westhaven, who is being pressurized by his father to marry and produce an heir. This has been exacerbated by the fact that two of his three legitimate brothers have recently died, and there is still no grandson to carry on the line. It is not so much that Westhaven wishes to be disobliging but rather that he has not found a woman that he really wants to marry.

However, he finds himself intrigued by his new housekeeper - who has attacked him with a poker after finding him in what she thought was a compromising position with the chambermaid. She is young, and appears to be too well bred for this position. As their relationship deepens, it is clear that she is not what she professes to be, and she appears to be keeping a secret from him - one that is causing her worry.

I love Ms Burrowes' heroes, and Westhaven is no exception. Anna is also entirely appealing, as are her heroines. I also love how her many stories intertwine with characters from others - even other series. In this novel, there are references to many people, and some events, that I know about from reading others. Imagine my surprise to read that this book, The Heir, was her debut novel. I can only surmise that she had a whole tapestry of tales and people mapped out at an early stage - even before this book was published - because the story fits in between Douglas and David's stories, books 8 and 9 in the Lonely Lords series!

I read another review where Ms Burrowes was taken to task for having an Earl as the title for a Duke's heir, stating it should be a Marquess. This is by no means always the case - in fact an earl is probably more likely. However, the heir to any title will use the next senior title as a courtesy, what ever its rank, and these courtesy titles only go to direct heirs (sons and grandsons), they never go to a brother. I notice that there are also complaints about American usages for food - such as muffins, or whisky spelt with an 'e' (which refers in Britain to Irish whiskey, which the aristocracy at that time would not have drunk!). Since the book will be mainly aimed at an American audience, I can't take too much exception to that, but I do object to the use of 'gotten' in direct speech. It just sounds so, so out of place that it totally stops the flow of the tale - which is a great pity.

However, I would most definitely recommend this to anyone. And, if you have never read one of Grace Burrowes' before, jump in and lose yourself in this sprawling net of people and stories.
on 28 January 2011
I love a good historical romance and don't mind that they usually follow a bit of a formula. This novel throws away most of that formula and is actually all the better for it. It's extremely well-written and the characters are extremely well-drawn: Westhaven the calm and gentlemanly earl, Anna the secretive but caring and strangely moral housekeeper, Morgan the cheerful, deaf maid, Val, the earl's sad, lonely but talented brother, Dev the feisty but protective and loving half-brother and so on and so on. I was really surprised by the way the book panned out. Sure enough, one of them had a secret but it wasn't revealed to the reader as they usually are, until the last quarter of the book. Also Westhaven never once behaved in the way that a historical romance hero would normally behave- he's not a thrillingly domineering alpha male type in the normal way, but he was the perfect hero for this story. It was really refreshing.

Despite the lack of battles or clan feuding, I was very drawn into the book. The characters were the factor than really drives the plot on. Westhaven's relationship with his father and brothers was fascinating, the way he treats Anna even more so. Anna's secret is slowly revealed and I enjoyed the final chapters where I was on tenterhooks as to how it would work out. It was an extremely engaging stryline. I was very much wrapped up in all their lives.

There really was no major downside to this book. My only minor complaint was that the modern language crept in here and there, plus the odd Americanism, such as fall instead of Autumn, mildly irritating when it is set in England.

I would highly recommend this book. I always hold Monica McCarty up as the gold standard of historical romance but I would say that this is her equal- less action but a great story and fantastic characters. Definitely buy it. I will be looking forward to the sequel The Soldier which focuses on Dev when it comes out in June 2011.

NB: Kindle owners. This is safe to download. I only noticed two typos and there are no formatting problems.