on 3 December 2015
Its a 'complete' story in my eyes. It got me straight away from the start and didnt let go till I read the author's brief at the very end. Lancashire is now known to me via my children's University. I have sat on the banks of the Ribble and dreamed away some hours so the same river must be shining in the snow upstream. The visualization was just enough for me to insert my ideas of the setting. It was a somewhat sensory experience, almost. The ghosts or spirit were adorably portrayed by the author. And just enough plot twists to keep me turning the pages. A brilliant beautiful book, where, the romance was in the setting rather than the people who were believable down to earth characters. I fully understood the plight of the farmer due to the catastrophic and devastating effects of the foot and mouth outbreak. Well done to the author.
VINE VOICEon 24 November 2016
Despite the three stars I do enjoy Leah Fleming's writing and story lines. The characters are engaging and generally you can believe in their motivations and reasons, and enjoy the dialogue. Excellent scene setting too. The difficult with this particular novel for me was that there was way too much padding and unnecessary waffle that really didn't move the novel forward, or if it did, it was at the pace of a snail. Some of those back stories were eye-glazing and the Christmas moment was a tad too Disney. I often found myself skimming pages to get to the next 'good bit' I think with some judicious pruning, this could be a really excellent novel rather than a just okay one.
on 12 November 2015
This is a beautifully written book that I just didn't want to end. It is a story of hardship through the Winter months in the Yorkshire Dales. Wintergill isn't just a sheep farm, it is an heritage that has pass down through many generations, a lot of which are visited in this novel. It looks like it could be the end, in present day, as Nik is the last in the blood line of Snowdons.
How I loved this book with its brilliant descriptions of the rugged, bleak yet beautiful Dales and wonderful farm steeped in history. It was such a cosy read as the author included many traditional recipes from the past, all woven into this story. It made me want to bake these wonderful creations and sit and read while the aroma of the past filled my home. A lovely book to sit, savour and devour. This is a book I could read again and again. A book perfect for anyone that loves history with a bit of romance along the way.
on 1 March 2016
Tragedy strikes two very different families in very different ways – a tragic death leaves a widow with a young daughter on Christmas Eve; foot and mouth disease strikes a hill farmer and his aged mother who have been struggling to keep their business afloat.

These two families, from very different walks of life, come together interspersed with a background of family history and secrets and unsettled spirits.

This was an atmospheric book, good characterisations, emotional, dramatic and at times hard-hitting.

A well written book which I enjoyed reading.

It also had the added bonus of old recipes and old measures such as ‘a peck’ and also delved in to old Christmas traditions which I also enjoyed reading about very much.
on 26 August 2015
I enjoyed this book, and I liked the way Leah Fleming worked the history of several centuries into the story. The characters, with one exception, are well described, and as usual with Leah Fleming it is well written. The only thing that stopped me from giving it 5 stars was the character of Evie. I could not believe in an 8 year old who wholeheartedly believed in Santa and could not accept the concept of death - and all this in the 21st century. I suppose had the character been younger she could not have done some of the things relevant to the tale, but pl-ease an 8 year old worrying whether Santa will find where she is staying. Children hardly reach school age these days as believers (sad I know), and her contempories at the school would certainly have enlightened her.
on 17 February 2016
Tragedy, misfortune, scandal and lies happen whatever the era that you live in. In this tale we are given stories from 2 eras that impact on each other in a strange way.
A heart-warming tale showing human kindness in the face of adversity. It’s the little things that count and matter and this shows that in spades. From Christmas spent with recent enemies, to those closer to home. What matters and what doesn’t, truths told and those kept to heart for far too long.
Although set around Christmas it is a wonderful read whatever the weather, especially if you have a lovely warm fire close to hand (or the sun!). Curl up and enjoy!
on 13 January 2018
While beautifully crafted, this novel took me a long time to read. I think due to the number of characters from the past coming to the fore to tell part of their story. By the time I had pinned the character, and was hooked by their story, it all moved on. It took a lot of concentration and needed more sustained focus than I was able to afford it.
on 22 December 2016
Loved this book. Characters well drawn. Good mix of past and present that could be followed. Good descriptions to set the scene. The last thirty pages dragged a bit and I would have liked a bit more passion between Nic and Kay at the end of the book. It was inevitable what would happen between them but more could have been made of it. The devastation of foot and mouth came through and the ghost element was a brilliant idea to link the centuries throughout the book.
on 20 December 2015
This title landed in my email so I read the summary & decided I needed to read it. A death at Christmas see's a 6mth stay arranged the following Christmas to get away from the usual Christmas festivities. Return to the farms history of things happening to children who live or visit there. Ghosts appear to the children as one searches for her child from long ago. All she wants is for them to be reunited. A farm that suffered with foot & mouth, close to losing everything. Even more so when a fire occurs & melts hearts. If your looking for something different the this book is a good one to start with.
on 10 April 2015
Flew through this book, I found it fascinating. The story covers several periods in history, well researched and each story weaves the story together and is important to the history of the house and the family. I liked the ghost stories woven into the tale and warmed to all the characters past and present. Leah Fleming knows her Dales and the descriptions are well painted and loving the Dales I could visualise the area. A heart warming book well written. Have now bought several more Leah Fleming books to enjoy as this one has wetted my appetite for her writing.